Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tony Sanchez
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:22 pm 

He continues to roll in WV. Another HR (#6 this year) and he now has 39 RBI's in 33 games with the Power. He is killing lefties also to the tune of .579/.700/1.000 (granted only 19 AB's, but still....)

Does he start in AA next year or maybe even AAA?

Post subject: Re: Tony Sanchez
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:53 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

He goes to winter ball, comes to earth, and everyone gets to say "I told you so, he's a bust...", and "just Nutting being cheap again".

ZM

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:21 pm 

Chris Anderson wrote:
He continues to roll in WV. Another HR (#6 this year) and he now has 39 RBI's in 33 games with the Power. He is killing lefties also to the tune of .579/.700/1.000 (granted only 19 AB's, but still....)

He starts in high A next year.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:22 pm 

Sanchez can hit. I understand that he is in A-ball, but he plays a damn tough position to achieve hitting success and he is just killing the ball.

And one thing is abundantly clear - he murders left-handed pitching. He has had not just 19 at-bats, but 27 plate appearances. He has chalked up 11 hits, 8 walks and 0 K's vs. left-handers this season. That is not just a hot streak, or a good series or three. It indicates that he punishes left-handed pitching.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:48 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Well, his coach did say he was a better catcher than Weiters...

ZM

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:34 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
Chris Anderson wrote:

He starts in high A next year.

NH has said as much.

If it were me, I'd start him in Altoona.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:07 am 

Chris Anderson wrote:

The glass is half full.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:08 am 

ZelieMike wrote:
He goes to winter ball, comes to earth, and everyone gets to say "I told you so, he's a bust...", and "just Nutting being cheap again".

ZM

The galss is bone dry and won't hold water.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:14 am 

If I had a vote it would be AA. A big hitting catcher is rare if true and in AA we'll see what we got. If they keep him in A ball, it seems to me that they don't think they have much.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:03 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
If I had a vote it would be AA. A big hitting catcher is rare if true and in AA we'll see what we got. If they keep him in A ball, it seems to me that they don't think they have much.

Why rush him? We already have three catchers. I'd hate to screw him up by advancing him too quickly.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:24 pm 

Sure, he shouldn't be rushed. When I posted about AA or AAA, I brainfarted and thought that WV was A+. A two level skip (to AAA) would be way too aggressive, but given his absolute success at his current level, I think a one level skip would be warranted. If his defense was suspect, then maybe the slow approach would be fine...but honestly that isn't a worry. I guess I would accept a start at Lynchburg next year, but with the option of a quick advancement to Altoona if he starts off even similarly to this year.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:22 pm 

Chris Anderson wrote:
Sure, he shouldn't be rushed. When I posted about AA or AAA, I brainfarted and thought that WV was A+. A two level skip (to AAA) would be way too aggressive, but given his absolute success at his current level, I think a one level skip would be warranted. If his defense was suspect, then maybe the slow approach would be fine...but honestly that isn't a worry. I guess I would accept a start at Lynchburg next year, but with the option of a quick advancement to Altoona if he starts off even similarly to this year.

That "slow approach" could have him in Pittsburgh by mid-season 2011 after a grand total of two years in the minor leagues. That ain't slow, not by a longshot.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:31 pm 

True sys, true.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:05 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
That "slow approach" could have him in Pittsburgh by mid-season 2011 after a grand total of two years in the minor leagues. That ain't slow, not by a longshot.

Exactly. If Sanchez reaches the majors in 2011 at age 23, he would have to be considered a huge success in terms of his productivity in the minors and his path to the majors since it would have taken him just two years in the minors (2009-2010 and 2010-2011) to reach the Pirates.

Looking back at former first round picks - 1979 to present - only Pedro Alvarez (if he reaches the majors in 2010), Andrew McCutchen, Paul Maholm, and Barry Bonds reached the majors that quickly.

And if you want to see why the Pirates have been so bad, for so long, just go look at their draft picks over the past 20 years. Horrible, for the most part. Tons of blown first round picks, on guys who never made it past AA (Bobby Bradley, Clint Johnston, Mark Farris, Charles Peterson, Jon Farrell, Kurt Miller, Austin Manahan) and guys who did not deserve to make it past AAA (John Vanbenschoten, JJ Davis). Just a dreadful collection of failures.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:19 pm 

[quote=Bucfan"]And if you want to see why the Pirates have been so bad, for so long, just go look at their draft picks over the past 20 years. Horrible, for the most part. Tons of blown first round picks, on guys who never made it past AA (Bobby Bradley, Clint Johnston, Mark Farris, Charles Peterson, Jon Farrell, Kurt Miller, Austin Manahan) and guys who did not deserve to make it past AAA (John Vanbenschoten, JJ Davis). Just a dreadful collection of failures.[/quote]

Bucfan answers the question "how can the Pirates have been so bad for so long"?

Good post.