Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:00 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why I'm glad Bixler is getting to play....
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:40 pm 

This HAS to be the last chance for him doesn't it? Of course, he will probably hit .409 down the stretch, proving he can't even get released without screwing it up.

Post subject: Re: Why I'm glad Bixler is getting to play....
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:22 pm 

Bixler will be lucky to post .409 as his OPS.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:41 pm 

I never get the hatred toward some players. He's been bad, but you don't think that kills him more than anyone? I would hate for us to release him only to watch him put it all together for the Reds (they love picking up our scraps, and really anyone's scraps). I don't know if he will ever put it all together and become the player it looked like he would become a couple seasons back, but I get sick of people bashing the guy. If his work ethic, or attitude suck, bash away, but if he is just struggling give the kid a break. He's likely nervous as hell, and when he makes stupid mistakes it may be because he is thinking about his last stupid mistake.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:48 pm 

JimY wrote:
I never get the hatred toward some players.

No hatred at all. The simple fact is this: If the Pirates have players like Brian Bixler, Steven Jackson, Ramon Vazquez, etc. seeing the field, then they are not a good team.

Once the Pirates replace players of that ilk with better, more talented players, they will be a much better team.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:24 pm 

JimY wrote:
I never get the hatred toward some players. He's been bad, but you don't think that kills him more than anyone? I would hate for us to release him only to watch him put it all together for the Reds (they love picking up our scraps, and really anyone's scraps). I don't know if he will ever put it all together and become the player it looked like he would become a couple seasons back, but I get sick of people bashing the guy. If his work ethic, or attitude suck, bash away, but if he is just struggling give the kid a break. He's likely nervous as hell, and when he makes stupid mistakes it may be because he is thinking about his last stupid mistake.

He's not struggling, he's bad. He's almost 27 now, and he's had multiple shots in Pittsburgh, so if his nerves are still an issue he's doomed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:47 am 

JimY wrote:

I agree. You cannot evaluate a guy who never gets to play more than a few days in a row. Who knows what might happen if he gets a legitimate chance. He might suck. Or he might surprise everyone like Garrett Jones has. But what do you have to lose by giving the guy a shot??

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:48 am 

sisyphus wrote:
JimY wrote:

He's not struggling, he's bad. He's almost 27 now, and he's had multiple shots in Pittsburgh, so if his nerves are still an issue he's doomed.

Multiple shots in Pittsburgh?????
The guy has 133 career at bats.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:51 am 

The only 409 in his house is under the kitchen sink.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:00 am 

Animal wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
JimY wrote:

And he's been worse than Mario Mendoza in those at bats, all while having a not-so-impressive minor league resume that does not warrant an extended look. And at age 27, I don't see him getting much better. It's time to cut bait with him.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:40 am 

JimY wrote:

Actually, I would love to see him with the Reds or a division rival. He could sabotage their offense in ways our pitching staff never could!

Say... isn't Littlefield a scout for the Cubs now???

Someone get NH a phone---STAT! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:42 am 

Bixler just cannot hit breaking balls. He swings over top of them over and over. I don't see that changing, ever, which is why he doesn't belong in the big leagues.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:00 pm 

Animal wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
JimY wrote:

He has 1,337 AAA plate appearances that don't exactly cry out that he deserves much more of a shot than that. Guys who strike out in 30% of their AAA at bats while failing to hit for average or power do not go on to major league success.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:19 pm 

The Pirates don't see him as more than a role player now. Maybe he will make it someday, but we have had too many guys who have simply made it....we need guys who are going to put us over the top and Bixler ain't it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:56 am 

Frankly I don't see why he is on the team let alone on the field. Cruz is a viable utilityman. If Cedeno can't go, he should get the start, not Bixler.