Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: 5 in a row!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:01 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5642
The best thing about winning five in a row?

Not only did we beat the Brew Crew and Cards, and won last night in front of the 1979 Champs, but I finally got to see a game!

For whatever reasons, AFN decided to broadcast the game as their game of the day, small world!

I was probably the only person watching the game, but man was it great!

I Liked what I saw from Burgh during the 12-2 beatdown and hope they continue their recent hot streak and consistent play.

Next up is Hart vs. Homer going for 6 in a row.

Should be good times!

Hope all of you able can watch and enjoy the Bucs during this little run.

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 5 in a row!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:25 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:32 pm
Posts: 3173
Location: Darlington, Pennsylvania
We have the longest current winning streak in baseball right now. I just thought i would add that.
Also the way things are going right now the Cardinals could be the only team in the NL Central to finish over .500


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 5 in a row!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:46 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:40 pm
Posts: 703
Location: Boston
I think the Central being weak and Chicago stumbling means that we have an opportunity to compete in 2010 for at least .500. We would need some breaks and some help in the pen but the NL Central is not the AL East (thank goodness).

_________________
Yinzers uber alles


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 5 in a row!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:56 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:32 pm
Posts: 3173
Location: Darlington, Pennsylvania
BostonBuc wrote:
I think the Central being weak and Chicago stumbling means that we have an opportunity to compete in 2010 for at least .500. We would need some breaks and some help in the pen but the NL Central is not the AL East (thank goodness).


It is far from it. Looking forward to next season. The Cardinals are still going to be good, the Cubs should have been good this year but like usual they couldn't get it together, so i don't see them being much better than this season. The Astros suprised me this year because i expected them to be worse, next year i think they are worse. The Brewers could be alot better next season if they can add any pitching at all, Ben Sheets will be able to be signed and ready to play next season and i think they have to put the money on the table for him because of the difference without him. The Reds are in alot of trouble, their rebuilding plan is starting to look like a failure right now and i don't see light at the end of their tunnel yet.
So yeah i do think we have a good shot at atleast 4th place in the Central next year and a max of 2nd or 3rd. No wildcard yet but a 2nd or 3rd place finish with such a young team would make me happy.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 5 in a row!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:07 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:40 pm
Posts: 703
Location: Boston
I agree w/ what you said Colin. The Cubs will be very interesting next year, because they have a new owner, likely won't have Lou, and maybe looking to rebuild 12 months from now if they aren't much better. They won't do a tear down but maybe try a "quick rebuild".

I think Houston is surprising too, one day soon they will need to get young. The Reds, it will depend on if their pitchers can come back. They looked like they were on the way up, and now it looks bleak for them.

_________________
Yinzers uber alles


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 5 in a row!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:12 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:11 pm
Posts: 3364
Location: Wheeling, WV
Hope it's real. We're at home and playing the last place team right now. No matter they are beginning to show promise and as indicated are so young that only good things should happen as they mature and become consistant.
The pitching is really promising. We have some quality there and it appears that there is plenty more developing should one or two of these guys become busts. That said, we just drafted and signed a gaggle of potentially good pitchers to start in the pipeline to follow the present guys.

_________________
2011 Will Be Our Year -- well make that 2012 (just saying) So it looks like 2013 now - how long must this go on!
THIS IS IT-- NO MORE STREAK!!! *** Finally*** Time to win it in 2014


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 5 in a row!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:06 pm
Posts: 1585
BostonBuc wrote:
I

I think Houston is surprising too, one day soon they will need to get young. The Reds, it will depend on if their pitchers can come back. They looked like they were on the way up, and now it looks bleak for them.


Yeah, I still can't understand the smoke and mirrors that the Astros have been hanging near 500 with this entire season.

I mean, my God, their pitching rotation, where 50 year old Mike Hampton is your second starter, behind Oswalt, their over-paid horrible on defense lineup (Lee, Matsui), worse black holes in offensive positions like 3rd than the Pirates, and an utterly empty minor league system.

True story, last July the Astros "players of the month" for their triple a and double a farm teams were both over 30!!!!

I just keep waiting for the wheels to fall of this team, but they don't.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 5 in a row!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:42 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:07 pm
Posts: 2583
We'll see how hot they are today. They're coming up against the Sunday blahs. They've lost 8 in a row on Sunday and are 4-15 this year on The Lord's Day.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 5 in a row!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 am
Posts: 3138
Substitute2 wrote:
Hope it's real.


Unfortunately, the only thing "real" is that we're beating up on a line-up including Paul Janish and Adam Rosales. Don't get me wrong, it's fun, and it's nice to see. But the Reds are truly abysmal right now. I have hopes they can complete the sweep with Hart on the mound today, but it will be interesting to see with Vasquez and Bixler in the line-up.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 5 in a row!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10729
The point here is that the Pirates are going to get better next year and the year after. Their starting staff is very young. Their key offensive players (McCutchen, Young, Alvarez, Tabata, Milledge) are young. They have good young prospects in the minors, at most levels.

Teams like that get better. Teams like the Cubs and Astros get worse. And the Astros are going to implode very, very soon. They have nothing at all in the minors - nothing. Their decision to sign guys like Tejeda and Hampton was horrible.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 5 in a row!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:49 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:41 pm
Posts: 843
Bucfan wrote:
The point here is that the Pirates are going to get better next year and the year after. Their starting staff is very young. Their key offensive players (McCutchen, Young, Alvarez, Tabata, Milledge) are young. They have good young prospects in the minors, at most levels.

Teams like that get better. Teams like the Cubs and Astros get worse. And the Astros are going to implode very, very soon. They have nothing at all in the minors - nothing. Their decision to sign guys like Tejeda and Hampton was horrible.


So true. Baseball Prospectus has been hammering the point since months before the trade deadline that the Astros, as mediocre as they are, need to play for this year because their minor league system is so atrocious. Someone in their front office didn't get the memo that building up the farm system is the only way to attain sustainable competitiveness. Even the big spenders like the Sox and Yankees are onto that.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 5 in a row!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:29 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5642
Colin21 wrote:
BostonBuc wrote:
I think the Central being weak and Chicago stumbling means that we have an opportunity to compete in 2010 for at least .500. We would need some breaks and some help in the pen but the NL Central is not the AL East (thank goodness).


It is far from it. Looking forward to next season. The Cardinals are still going to be good...


But not nearly as good if Holliday leaves.

That's what I'm banking on anyways.

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 5 in a row!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:35 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5642
Corsair wrote:
BostonBuc wrote:
I

I think Houston is surprising too, one day soon they will need to get young. The Reds, it will depend on if their pitchers can come back. They looked like they were on the way up, and now it looks bleak for them.


Yeah, I still can't understand the smoke and mirrors that the Astros have been hanging near 500 with this entire season.

I mean, my God, their pitching rotation, where 50 year old Mike Hampton is your second starter, behind Oswalt, their over-paid horrible on defense lineup (Lee, Matsui), worse black holes in offensive positions like 3rd than the Pirates, and an utterly empty minor league system.

True story, last July the Astros "players of the month" for their triple a and double a farm teams were both over 30!!!!

I just keep waiting for the wheels to fall of this team, but they don't.


Bucfan wrote:
Teams like that get better. Teams like the Cubs and Astros get worse. And the Astros are going to implode very, very soon. They have nothing at all in the minors - nothing. Their decision to sign guys like Tejeda and Hampton was horrible.


Yes, Astros are a freak of nature, considering that they're anywhere near competitive.

I just can't wait until that deck of cards collapses so the Bucs can check off at least 10 automatic wins for the season. :lol:

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 5 in a row!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:01 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:06 pm
Posts: 1585
Bucfan wrote:
The point here is that the Pirates are going to get better next year and the year after. Their starting staff is very young. Their key offensive players (McCutchen, Young, Alvarez, Tabata, Milledge) are young. They have good young prospects in the minors, at most levels.

Teams like that get better. Teams like the Cubs and Astros get worse. And the Astros are going to implode very, very soon. They have nothing at all in the minors - nothing. Their decision to sign guys like Tejeda and Hampton was horrible.


Dude, I have been waiting to drive a stake into the Astros heart almost every year I have been here, but they won't die!!!!!

Their 2004 and 2005 playoff runs began when they were 15 games under .500 in July!

I just don't get it!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 5 in a row!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7275
Corsair wrote:
I mean, my God, their pitching rotation, where 50 year old Mike Hampton is your second starter, behind Oswalt,


While Mike Hampton is 50, his arm is only 45...Before coming back this year, wasnt Bill Clinton the President the last time he pitched in the Majors?

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits