Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 6-7-08 D-Backs at Pirates
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:58 am 

bassoondirector wrote:
BBF wrote:
Funny how everyone around here had left him for dead in the first inning tonight.

And you thought he was going to end up pitching a good game after the first inning based on what his past outings have been like? Actually, I was very surprised that he settled down and did pitch a good game.

Gorzelanny or any Pirate pitcher can't afford to spot good teams like Arizona runs in the first inning like that. The Pirates are not that good of a team to come back against good pitchers on good teams to win games that often.

The Pirates are the 7th best offensive team in baseball.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:00 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Tough loss. Az has a ton of dangerous right-handed hitters. Should have considered using Capps in the top of the 9th. No "save" was going to occur, and most other teams put their best relief pitcher - the closer - into tie home games in the top of the ninth.

Are you sure about that? One of my pet peeves is managers who hold out their closers for save situations in home games, and that peeve didn't just spring out of thin air, but it may be that it DID spring from watching McClendon and Tracy manage.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:03 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
P.S. Were others completely unimpressed with Haren? How is this guy a winning pitcher in the majors with his average fastball and meatball curve??

Frustrating watch him lob that nothing curve over the middle of the plate and not get hammered. :evil:

Haren's lifetime ERA tells me that there is something good about that curve that doesn't translate well over the television. He's no STBHOFer.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:18 pm 

sisyphus wrote:

The 7th best offensive team has only managed to score 4 runs in two games so far against Arizona.

I don't think the Pirates are going to be the 7th best offensive team in baseball by the end of June either.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:29 pm 

bassoondirector wrote:
sisyphus wrote:

The 7th best offensive team has only managed to score 4 runs in two games so far against Arizona.

Against two of the 15 best pitchers in the National League. They're not playing in a vacuum, you know.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:41 pm 

bassoondirector wrote:
BBF wrote:
Funny how everyone around here had left him for dead in the first inning tonight.

And you thought he was going to end up pitching a good game after the first inning based on what his past outings have been like? Actually, I was very surprised that he settled down and did pitch a good game.

Gorzelanny or any Pirate pitcher can't afford to spot good teams like Arizona runs in the first inning like that. The Pirates are not that good of a team to come back against good pitchers on good teams to win games that often.

BD:

Of course I wouldn't have predicted the turn around that Gorzo gave us last night after watching the first inning. But likewise, I wasn't jumping overboard and posting how bad the game was going to be after one bad inning. Yeah, given his track record, I would have guessed the first inning was a bad omen, but I'm generally willing to give the guy at least a couple innings before I hang him by his short and curlies.

As for your second point, we actually HAVE come back against good pitchers on good teams to win games this year...most recently against Wainwright and St. Louis, and we almost did it again last night. Not that I want to make a habit of it or anything, but the way our outfield is hitting, I think we are capable of doing it.