Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:16 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lastings Milledge??????
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:39 am 

I have not watched one minute of a Pirates game in over three weeks, and, until today did not even know their record, but at least I can say, without hesitation,

I told you Lastings Milledge was a worthless POS! I heard he finally hit his first home run!!!!!!

Ooooh boy, better start carving that bust in Cooperstown!

Post subject: Re: Lastings Milledge??????
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:23 am 

That's your first problem. It angers me when guys make posts about hating on players when they admit they rarely watch games. How are you supposed to know if they are doing well or poorly based on some box score or something a reporter who barely watched the game wrote up. Please folks...watch with your own eyes and then provide constructive criticism, your version of the scouting report, or even a keen observation. Why hate for no reason?

Those of us that watch the games regularly are optimistic for quite a few reasons. Our starting rotation has some good guys now and has more on the way. Our club isn't the best at hitting right now, but we have found some diamonds in the rough like Jones and Young, and even more help is on the way. The bullpen is not good, but that isn't something we need to worry about this season.

I agree Milledge has not lived up to his "tools" reputation, but the guy isn't done yet. I was totally against this trade initially too, but geez, give the guy a shot. He is working on his speed and defense everyday, and he may never hit for a ton of power, but the guy could still be a good player in this league.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:09 am 

Corsair wrote:
I have not watched one minute of a Pirates game in over three weeks, and, until today did not even know their record, but at least I can say, without hesitation,

I told you Lastings Milledge was a worthless POS! I heard he finally hit his first home run!!!!!!

shut up you dont know jack shit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:07 am 

PLEASE DO NOT FEED
Attachment:
troll_2.jpg
troll_2.jpg [ 17.02 KiB | Viewed 505 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:07 am 

cbk87 wrote:
Corsair wrote:

Sorry, I thought Jack's last name was 'off'

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:09 pm 

Corsair wrote:

The worthless POS is as responsible as anyone for the Pirates' recent, modest four winning streak with 2 HR and 4 RBI.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:18 pm 

Easy there Corsair. In the postgame interview last night, he came off as a well spoken, respectfull young man who said all the right things. As a former 21 year old, I can safely say that I would not want someone bringing up some of my past transgressions. I give him a pass and allow that he seems to have taken to heart some of his past mistakes. I could be proven wrong in the future but he seems to be going in the right direction as a person. I think that Cutch may be a big influence in his development and maturing process.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:35 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:

Sorry, I thought Jack's last name was 'off'[/quote]

I thought it was Wilson

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:08 pm 

burghermeister wrote:
Corsair wrote:

The worthless POS is as responsible as anyone for the Pirates' recent, modest four winning streak with 2 HR and 4 RBI.

Yes he is, but unfortunately, he was also as responsible as anybody for the 8 game losing streak before that!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:15 pm 

Animal wrote:
burghermeister wrote:
Corsair wrote:

Yes he is, but unfortunately, he was also as responsible as anybody for the 8 game losing streak before that!

I beg to differ. Milledge's numbers during the 8 game losing streak were .274/.294/.303. Not great and no power but at least he got on base occasionally. They guy you want out there, Brandon Moss, was .067/.125/.067 over that same period.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:31 pm 

cbk87 wrote:
Corsair wrote:

Wow, what an intelligent response!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:38 pm 

Lastings Milledge.....
More like Blastings Thrilledge!!!!!
Give him a year, you'll be on the Thrilledge bandwagon. You'll be one of the Milledge People.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:04 pm 

Mediocre starting pitching. Awful bullpen. No clutch hitting. Those were the causes. To pinpoint one player and lay the majority of the blame on him is not only unfair but not the case.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:33 pm 

Pay Corsair no mind. He's just bitching because he wants to bitch, and he sees Milledge as an easy target, regardless of whether he's deserving of blame or whether it even matters this season.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:04 pm 

Corsair wrote:

Kind of hard to blame him Bob. You've been on this board (or the previous versions of it) for more than a decade. If you feel you've gone to the point where you are done...then fine. Either go the way of the Judge and disappear, or just post in the Water Cooler/Other Sports section. But please don't start spewing out opinion on something you don't watch, follow or track. That just lowers you to the level of BH/Estrago. You're better than that. It also pains me to see newer posters comparing you to a 'troll'. They missed out on many of your informed, thoughtful discussions about Bucco baseball, both good and bad.

And FWIW...Milledge, while not great, hasn't been bad. In his 18 games (1/9th of a full season) he is projecting to a 18 HR, 90 RBI, 18 SB season if extrapolated out to 162 games. Sure...not Cooperstown-worthy, but respectable. His recent surge shows that there may be some more aggressiveness (and thus more power) coming. Regardless, still way, WAY too early to praise or bash on Milledge.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:45 pm 

Milledge has been pretty impressive tonight both on defense and offense. He seems to be looking a little faster lately (last couple of games), and has played much improved defense over the last week or so. He is slowly impressing me more and more lately with his hustle to first base and his patience at the plate and pitch recognition. The guy was out for a while, so maybe it just took him a while to going again. There is quite a few reasons to be an optimist about his ability to stick with this team I believe.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:16 am 

Chris Anderson wrote:
Corsair wrote:

Kind of hard to blame him Bob. You've been on this board (or the previous versions of it) for more than a decade. If you feel you've gone to the point where you are done...then fine. Either go the way of the Judge and disappear, or just post in the Water Cooler/Other Sports section. But please don't start spewing out opinion on something you don't watch, follow or track. That just lowers you to the level of BH/Estrago. You're better than that. It also pains me to see newer posters comparing you to a 'troll'. They missed out on many of your informed, thoughtful discussions about Bucco baseball, both good and bad..

Thank you Chris and I do have to explain one thing. Originally, I had a much more detailed explanation and story about what happened to me over the last month or so and was posting it over in my "In 12 years of teaching" post, but then I mis hit something on the key board and the whole thing disappeared when I was about halfway through it. :(

But there is one thing I will say, the reason you have not heard too much from me is that I made a vow in the spring, I was not going to get too up or too down over any 10 game stretch of Pirates baseball, good or bad. I tell you it was tough not to go to the keyboard several times this year.

I figured after the much more than ten games, post-trade deadline, reeking, steaming pile of dung that was Pirates baseball I could stand no more. Had to say something.

Its a shame my original post just disappeared into thin air.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:18 am 

urbanexplorer wrote:
Milledge has been pretty impressive tonight both on defense and offense. He seems to be looking a little faster lately (last couple of games), and has played much improved defense over the last week or so. He is slowly impressing me more and more lately with his hustle to first base and his patience at the plate and pitch recognition. The guy was out for a while, so maybe it just took him a while to going again. There is quite a few reasons to be an optimist about his ability to stick with this team I believe.

Appears in the short run he is out to disprove those who argued against him at the beginning. I was very skeptical but am becoming a convert. His actions, extra practice, his attitude on the field, and his production are winning me over.

Looks like he brought a lot of baggeage but is doing everything right to disspell the past book on him. Time will, of course, tell the true story, but I for one am satisfied that he can be a real asset to the team.