Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: For the first time in 12 years of teaching.......
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:42 pm 

I did not put out my Pirates stuff as I prepared my room for the first day of classes on Monday.

I took out my Steeler poster, but left my Pirates "Team of the Century" poster and my little DQ Sundae plastic batting helmet, that I use for a hall pass, in the closet.

Post subject: Re: For the first time in 12 years of teaching.......
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:44 pm 

So no hall pass? Are the kids going to have to piddle at their desks? That could get ugly. :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:45 pm 

I have another hall pass Bucfan, I guess you missed the point of my post.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:58 pm 

Corsair wrote:

Uhhh ... the :D symbol should have, I thought, conveyed my intent.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:03 pm 

The funny thing is that this is the brightest the future has been for the Bucs in a long time.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:07 pm 

Corsair wrote:

I got the point of the post, but you might use the Pirates as a lesson in perseverence and loyalty. :)

Frankly, I'm more excited about the next 18 months of Pirate baseball then I have been in years. I think we have a chance at .500 next year (depends on off season moves) and could well challenge in 2011. In 2012, we better be more than challenging.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:04 pm 

You'll have to pardon me for laughing as I won't be starting Monday. Not until the little...... make you sick!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:30 am 

BostonBuc wrote:
Corsair wrote:

I got the point of the post, but you might use the Pirates as a lesson in perseverence and loyalty. :)

Frankly, I'm more excited about the next 18 months of Pirate baseball then I have been in years. I think we have a chance at .500 next year (depends on off season moves) and could well challenge in 2011. In 2012, we better be more than challenging.

Yeah, I am so excited. We open the season with Major Leaguers at six of eight positions, the utter black hole in right field and Andy LaRoche at 3rd being the only exceptions, and here we are heading into September.

McCutchen and Doumit are the only guys who would even make the bench on a contender and the rest of the line up is filled with Quad A crap, including the utter worthless piece of garbage known as Lastings Milledge, who are participating in that annual Pittsburgh Pirates ritual known as "Let's play out the string and get out of town for the winter."

And we all know that Nutting won't spend a dime this winter and pretty much this same line up will take the field next April and we are all supposed to get excited. Oh yeah, and by then pitches like Maholm and Duke will have already caught "Denny Neagle/Jason Schmidt/Kris Benson disease" where they don't care anymore about winning and only "pitch well enough to get traded."

Oh and we all know that every single one of those "prospects" will turn into a real Major Leaguer right?

Bryan Morris? Yeah, he's on his way to the bigs next year, even though he's currently playing with high schoolers in Bradenton and that Gorkys Hernandez, yeah he will provide 30 - 40 homeruns next year, alongside Lastings Milledge's 50!

Yep, never heard this song and dance from this miserable excuse for a Major League franchise before.

Oh and did I leave out...

No matter what happens, Bob Nutting makes millions of dollars.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:00 am 

I never knew you needed hall passes to leave a Bandwagon 101 class.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:02 am 

Corsair wrote:
Insert worn out ramblings here...

I hope that your ramblings on this baord are not representative of what you teach the children about this topic or any other. If so that would be tragic for the kids.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:14 am 

Wow Corsair, I'm surprised. I didn't know you still cared. Thought you had moved on long ago.

I guess what's in your blood is hard to let go of.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:29 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
Wow Corsair, I'm surprised. I didn't know you still cared. Thought you had moved on long ago.

I guess what's in your blood is hard to let go of.

Caring less and less, was on vacation for most of the annual fire sale and the subsequent annual 2-15 or so post trading deadline performance.

Like I said, I looked at my Pirate stuff and am tired of the ridicule, so I left it in the closet.

A

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:02 pm 

HEY!!!! er...ummm...nah! TOO EASY!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:12 pm 

Ridicule? I have 2 teenagers and teach middle school. I haven't done anything right in their eyes for years. ;) ;) ;) Hell , the dog is smarter than me. Come on Corsair.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:44 pm 

You're tired of the ridicule? I live in Yankee country, and if anything I should be tired of the ridicule I get from Yankee fans who have actually seen their team win the World Series in the last 10 years. If your self-esteem is so low that you're afraid of being ridiculed for being a Pirate fan, then you sir are a very sad man.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:57 pm 

I think you guys are missing the point. Corsair is just refusing to swallow the kool-aid. It has nothing to do with what his students or co-workers will say or think. It's a conclusion he came to himself.

And it's not even a conclusion.. it's a realization. He knows we have a different GM making decisions but he doesn't trust ownership, nor do I.

The majority of my former co-workers of 24 years (here in Cleveland) never looked down on me for being a Pirates fan. They just pitied me for being so blind every season the past ten to twelve years. Corsair and I finally see what the world sees.

If the Cutch-Alvarez-Tabata-Sanchez-Lincoln Buccos become competitive I have zero (0) faith that Nutting & Co. will sign quality free agents to put us over the top. Even if we get to a World Series in 2012 they will just tear the team apart the way Florida has done. I'm not interested in that crap. I'd rather keep players and have a chance every year. Admittedly we can't do that in a small market.. 21st century Major League Baseball is not worth my time.

It's pointless for some of us to keep supporting the Pirates. I wear my Pirates cap only in honor of Willie Stargell, Roberto Clemente, and those guys.