Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alvarez negotiations
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:56 am 

Anyone else left with the impression after reading quotes from Alvarez on draft day that the negotiation process is going to be long and drawn out? Here's a kid who was just drafted second overall and is going to be playing professional baseball (his lifelong dream) and he's asked if he wants to get on the field as soon as possible . . . his response (admittedly a paraphrase) "I will sit down with my family and advisors to discuss all of the options."

This response, IMO, demonstrates that Boras is already in this guy's head and has schooled him well with how to respond. This shows me that Boras is already in control. I will be surprised if he signs more than a week before the deadline expires. In fact, I'll be shocked if he signs before the August 15 (?) deadline. I expect it to go down to the wire unless Coonelly et al simply give in to whatever Boras requests - and I don't see that happening.

Post subject: Re: Alvarez negotiations
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:44 am 

No. 9 wrote:
Anyone else left with the impression after reading quotes from Alvarez on draft day that the negotiation process is going to be long and drawn out?

Two words say everything that needs to be said about signing the young man: Scott Boras.

But sometimes, signing top talent takes money. Alvarez fits that mold. It will take something like $7 million to sign him, but that will put him in the Pirates control for as many as 9 years - up to 3 in the minors, 6 in the majors. That works out to less than $1 million per season for the "control" rights.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:09 am 

Just remember, Weiters did not get what everyone was saying he would get last year. He still got good money, but not what was being reported. So, don't be totally fooled by the Scott Boras hype.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:02 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
Just remember, Weiters did not get what everyone was saying he would get last year. He still got good money, but not what was being reported. So, don't be totally fooled by the Scott Boras hype.

I think that both parties will point to the Wieters during the negotiations when it suits their purposes. I expect Alvarez to get a very similar deal to Wieters.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:32 pm 

Willton wrote:
I think that both parties will point to the Wieters during the negotiations when it suits their purposes. I expect Alvarez to get a very similar deal to Wieters.

Wieters got that money as the fifth pick, so Boras is going to ask for more for the number 2 pick. It will probably take something in the area of $7 million to get him to sign.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:32 pm 

i have no problem with the pirates negotiating until the aug deadline. I will however have a problem if they do not come to an agreement. I dont have a big problem with scott boras, all he is doing is trying to get the best compensation he can for a player he represents. That is his job after all. All we can do now is sit back and watch the show.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:42 pm 
Yes, this will be long and drawn out. I hope they sign him, and I think they will. I won't be surprised thought if they don't.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:19 pm 

I'll be shocked if this deal doesn't get done in time for him to play some rookie ball.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:30 pm 

It's worth noting that the Wieters negotiations really came down to the wire last year — and looked DOA at one point very late in the process. So anyone expecting this to happen quickly or smoothly might want to purchase a home defibrillator now.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:05 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Depends on the kid, and what he wants (maybe his folks, too). If I'm Alverez, I look at 3b on the big club and say... "wow, I gotta get up there fast, its just waiting for me". He could easily decide to go the Ryan Zimmerman route, and gamble on a quick arrival. If he is as successful as Zimmerman was, his UFA clock will tick a lot earlier and bigger than if he waits.

Boras knows this as well. Pay me big now, or maybe pay me REALLY BIG later.

ZM

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:30 pm 

Boras is a Richard Cranium :o

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:53 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:
Boras is a Richard Cranium :o

Perhaps, but I doubt you'd be saying that if he was representing you.

As for me, I don't see any reason to root for the stinking rich owners to hold onto their money. I wouldn't pay a cent to watch an owner do his job for a day (except maybe for Steinbrenner in his prime while Billy Martin was managing. That would be worth a few bucks).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:07 pm 

Honestly, baseball needs to do something about the rookie signing bonuses and contracts. I don't know why the player's union wouldn't want it changed. Some of these guys will never even be in the membership.

The money should go to the guys who have made the big leagues. It's the same for the NFL. Actually, the NBA kind of has it right although they also pay out pretty good money, but it is more controlled.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:21 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
Honestly, baseball needs to do something about the rookie signing bonuses and contracts. I don't know why the player's union wouldn't want it changed. Some of these guys will never even be in the membership.

The money should go to the guys who have made the big leagues. It's the same for the NFL. Actually, the NBA kind of has it right although they also pay out pretty good money, but it is more controlled.

The Union would be against the change because rookie salaries set the base for future contracts. The more that rookies make, the more they can expect to get when their arbitrations years come along.