Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Could Strasburg be drafted by the Pirates next season?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:50 pm 

If he goes back in, we could have a chance, but should the Pirates take him?

Boras is an idiot by the way. But everyone already knew that.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/b ... index.html

Post subject: Re: Could Strasburg be drafted by the Pirates next season?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:53 pm 

He could very likely be on the board when we pick. I say we can't pass him up, but we need to know ahead of time if he is going to pull the same thing with us as he is with the Nationals.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:55 pm 

bucco boy wrote:

The way things are going right now, I've still not given up hope on getting Bryce Harper.

But Strasburg would make a nice consolation prize. I absolutely would take him. Boras is a complete ass, but dealing with him is part of drafting the best available players, unless the players union ever goes to a strictly enforced slotting system.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:09 pm 

BBF wrote:
bucco boy wrote:

The way things are going right now, I've still not given up hope on getting Bryce Harper.

But Strasburg would make a nice consolation prize. I absolutely would take him. Boras is a complete ass, but dealing with him is part of drafting the best available players, unless the players union ever goes to a strictly enforced slotting system.

Boras is Harper's advisor. :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:11 pm 

Last I heard, Boras wants to take him to Japan.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:17 pm 

1) I think we will fall to the bottom before the year is up and secure the number 1 pick.

2) Strasburg can't pull the same crap two years in a row. He has to sign eventually. In fact if I was confident in my ability I'd never play these games. He is missing productive years and is pushing himself back from
free agency and the big bucks.

3) If the Pirate in fact have the top pick, I hope they go with Harper. You just can't afford to spend that kind of money on a pitcher that odds on will have arm problems at some point. I actually like the Pirates strategy this year of giving up you first round money to a position player and then focus on pitching with your other early round picks.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:00 pm 

Bryce Harper is being called the next big thing by almost everyone who's seen him. I even read an article where he was called baseball's Micheal Jordan. I don't think you pass on that.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:31 pm 

I might take Strasburg over Harper, because of the signability factor. Strasburg went to college and in this scenario already sat out one year. The threat of going to Japan, and becoming a free agent is unrealistic. Selig *could* put the nix on that if he wanted to, and I think Boras knows it and is just using that as a scare tactic. If it was that easy, wouldn't everyone just become a free agent by going to Japan for a few months?
Still, I think Strasburg will sign anyway.
But the last series of the season is vs. the Nats, and may be named the Harper Cup.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:02 am 

JimY wrote:
I might take Strasburg over Harper, because of the signability factor. Strasburg went to college and in this scenario already sat out one year. The threat of going to Japan, and becoming a free agent is unrealistic. Selig *could* put the nix on that if he wanted to, and I think Boras knows it and is just using that as a scare tactic. If it was that easy, wouldn't everyone just become a free agent by going to Japan for a few months?
Still, I think Strasburg will sign anyway.
But the last series of the season is vs. the Nats, and may be named the Harper Cup.

He wouldn't be a free agent. He'd go back in to the draft pool next year. Most players who sit out play independent ball for a year like JD Drew and Aaron Crow. Strasburg could go to Japan just like they went to the indies. Selig could try to stop it, but I doubt he'd want to get in to a legal battle with Boras.

The Nats don't have a choice here, they need to get this thing done.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:17 am 

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/07/could-strasburg-move-to-japan-avoid-draft.html

He could try to avoid the draft, that's the point of the whole going to Japan thing. What did you think he just liked rice?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:48 am 

JimY wrote:
He could try to avoid the draft, that's the point of the whole going to Japan thing. What did you think he just liked rice?

Wrong. If he goes to Japan, or the independent leagues, or back to San Diego State, it makes no difference. He is subject to the draft next season.

The draft will be in its second year of having a universal signing date. All draft picks must sign by [the signing deadline], or they go back into the draft pool.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/dr ... 66138.html

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:26 am 

Bucfan wrote:
JimY wrote:

Wrong. If he goes to Japan, or the independent leagues, or back to San Diego State, it makes no difference. He is subject to the draft next season.

The draft will be in its second year of having a universal signing date. All draft picks must sign by [the signing deadline], or they go back into the draft pool.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/dr ... 66138.html

Actually...as it applies to Strasburg...he does have the Aug. 17 deadline...but that is not true of ALL draftees.

From MLB.com Important Dates page...

Aug. 17, 2009
Last day to sign selections from 2009 First-Year Player Draft who have not exhausted college eligibility.

In other words...those that have exhausted college eligibility (read graduate)...can sign after Aug 17th...up to...I believe...1 week before the 2010 Amateur Draft.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:19 am 

I'm amazed that any teams sign Boras clients... or that players go to Boras.

Why is there not just a massive anti-Boras boycott???

But I digress...

IF the Pirates can take Harper over Stasburg, I'm all in favor; for more reasons than just one.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:39 am 

If Boras has the intention of making Straburg a Japanese citizen, I say best of luck to him. The Japanese have very strict immigration rules.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:38 pm 

Again, I don't think it's likely, or all that feasible for him to become a free agent by going to Japan. But that' s the point of what Boras is threatening. He could do it just to make it into a huge legal fight. I don't think he will, because it likely would not work, but he is constantly trying new things to make money. Constantly trying to find some extra wiggle room. Constantly trying to get some more leverage. Constantly looking for some loophole.

This is an excerpt from a Baseball Prospectus article

Quote:
1996: An Obscure Rule Turns Into Big Money

This is by far Boras' biggest win, when he took on the rules of the draft, stomped them into the ground, and earned his client at least $25 million in extra money. As with most drafts, Boras entered the year representing a great number of top talents. As with most drafts, those players were taken early in the first round, and as with most years, Boras had little if any communication with the drafting team within the first two weeks of the selection. A little more than two weeks after the draft, Boras had his clients, and others, declared as free agents. The CBA at the time contained a clause that required teams to either tender an offer to players within 15 days, or relinquish their rights to them, but the rule was buried so deep within the agreement that many teams did not even know of its existence. Boras initially filed a grievance for a single player, left-hander Bobby Seay, and baseball lost that grievance in late September, as they really had no case—the rule was the rule. Four players in all were granted free agency: second overall pick Travis Lee (Twins), fifth overall pick John Patterson (Expos), seventh overall pick Matt White (Giants), and Seay, the 12th overall pick by the White Sox. Now eligible to negotiate with all 30 teams, bidding on the quartet proceeded to go through the roof, and the four signed packages totaling nearly $30 million, with White, seen as one of the best high school arms in recent memory, topping out at $10.2 million from the nascent Devil Rays franchise.

I'm not saying it would work. I'm saying he would try to get Strasburg free agency, just as he did these guys.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:44 pm 

I read though, that for Strasburg to be eligible as a free agent, he would have had to gone to Japan no later than the beginning of August. In other words, he would now have to play all of this year and all of next in Japan and wouldn't be eligible to come over until 2011. Further, I believe he would be subject to a posting fee at that point. If a club has to pay his Japanese team $50 mil to negotiate, it will limit his earnings.

I think its a scare tactic by Boras, and when it comes down to it, Strasburg will just end up playing independent ball and re-entering the draft next year.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:15 am 

Doesn't the American League get the #1 overall next year?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:15 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
I'm amazed that any teams sign Boras clients... or that players go to Boras.

Why is there not just a massive anti-Boras boycott???

Because Boras typically gets his clients what they want: contracts and deals that are more fair to the player in a system that is very unfair to the player. And yeah, Boras screws up from time to time, but not enough to dissuade amateur free agents from hiring him.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:17 pm 

VOR wrote:
Doesn't the American League get the #1 overall next year?

They did away with that several years ago, I believe.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:26 pm 

IMO . . . this is all much-ad-about-nothing. Strasburg will agree sometime between 11:55-11:59. The only question in my mind will be is whether there will be some after-the-fact claim by Boras/Strasburg that it was actually 12:01 and that there really was no agreement and they will try to leverage more money.

Ackley will agree sometime around 11:30 and the other guy will agree sometime around 11:45.