Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Women And Children First
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:15 am 

Three more games with Arizona?
Three games with the Nats? (lost 2 out of 3 against them the last time)
Interleague Play?

I'll be surprised if the Pirate ship stays afloat after all of that, again resting by the Titanic once June has come and gone. Pirate offense goes south and shrivels up.

The month of June will determine what this Pirate team is all about and if anything really has changed.

I want to believe things have changed for the better, but there are too many players on this team who do not have good track records against Arizona or the Nats let alone with American League teams.

Good luck Bucs!

Last edited by bassoondirector on Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Women And Children First
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:24 am 

bassoondirector wrote:
The month of June will determine what this Pirate team is all about and if anything really has changed.

I understand and respect your point (the new Bucfan is here . . . and if you don't like it, then $#@$%&%$#@ - sorry. Old habits die hard), but the signing of Alvarez and Scheppers will show if the team has changed.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:51 am 
Bucfan wrote:
bassoondirector wrote:

I understand and respect your point (the new Bucfan is here . . . and if you don't like it, then $#@$%&%$#@ - sorry. Old habits die hard), but the signing of Alvarez and Scheppers will show if the team has changed.

So so true.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:56 am 

Bucfan wrote:

I agree Bucfan that by signing Alvarez and Scheppers it will paint a hopeful future for the Pirates. I am also very hopeful because of the new management, manager and coaches.

What I'm not hopeful about is this same cast of characters staying competitive against the teams they will be facing for rest of the month of June. I just hope they can win enough games so that they are not buried alive in last place by the time July rolls around.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:24 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

bassoondirector wrote:
Three more games with Arizona?
Three games with the Nats? (lost 2 out of 3 against them the last time)
Interleague Play?

I'll be surprised if they don't come out in pretty good shape.

ZM

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:32 am 

BD has a point. It would be nice to come out of June and still be respectable. Not even contenders, but a team you could route for and be interesting enough to follow daily.

It will not determine that the team has changed. We all know that will take years of drafting and development. Let us not forget, we can trade some of the existing players to give a boast to increasing the value and depth of the future team.

Right now, it looks to me that Nady is hurting, and may be out for at least a while. It also seems to me that McCutchon is ready. Just named player of the month in AAA. In PG today, they remind us that he was drafted ahead of Bruce for the Reds. Might be time to bring him up if Nady goes down, or needs some time to rest his legs.