Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Indians owner said what???
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:33 pm 

The words of Cleveland Indians owner Larry Dolan earlier this week to the press:

"We will look at everything at the end of the season, but we have to look at the full body of work. If you look at the last four seasons, we're fifth in the American League in wins, just behind the major markets. That's a significant accomplishment in today's baseball economy.

"If every four or five years we can have a shot at the World Series like we did in 2007, and compete for a playoff spot like we did in 2005, that's as good as it gets in this market.

"The fans aren't happy with us now. But they wouldn't have been happy with us in the years to come if we didn't do what we've done now."

The Indians will lose $16 million this season.

Post subject: Re: Indians owner said what???
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:00 pm 

Ollie -
Out of curiousity, are you agreeing with what he said, disagreeing with what he said or you can't believe that he said it out loud?
No. 9

FWIW, I have a hard time disagreeing with him.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:23 pm 

What he's saying is no doubt the truth, but fans are shocked by this. Clevelanders are not as use to hearing the small market excuses straight from the owner's lips. Fans here are appalled that he would make such statements. His actual words were "we don't get enough credit" and then he went on about having the fifth most wins in the A.L. over four years (like that means anything.)

It strikes me that he would think fans care that his team has the fifth best record in the American League over four years. OK.. fifth out of fourteen teams.. but his teams made the playoffs only once! The way these businessmen spin things.. he thinks the fans are idiots, not unlike the way Pirates ownership viewed fans. (Mind you I do believe that Mr. Huntington has a plan and I'm giving him my trust, but I don't trust his superiors.)

I wonder if Larry Dolan is secretly hoping to sell the Indians. He's happy with being competitive once every four or five years? Fans are ticked off here.

The media obviously does its best to incite fans, but my jaw dropped when I heard the interview. I didn't need to be influenced by the press.

Cleveland baseball fans have never had to pay so much attention to the Indians' minor league teams, draft, etc. the way we Pirates fans have. On sports radio fans are not debating if Matt La Porta should be called up or not. They don't seem to know how to react. We Pirates fans worry on a nightly basis over who should start meaningless games late in the season.. will Lastings Milledge be part of the core expected to produce in 2012? Should Brandon Moss get the start tonight? It's pathetic BS. Indians fans are learning what it's like to have crappy ownership. I simultaneously enjoy it and am disgusted by it (because I know what it's like being a Pirates fan.)

Major League Baseball just blows..

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:37 pm 

I'll let you in on a little secret, Ollie: most fans of most teams are idiots.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:39 am 

Willton wrote:
I'll let you in on a little secret, Ollie: most fans of most teams are idiots.

Wait ... could you explain this to me?? I'm not getting it.