All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Latest on Sano
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:42 pm 

The latest from Jorge Arangure Jr.'s chat today:
Quote:
Jim (Ohio)
Any update on Sano?

Jorge Arangure Jr. (12:29 PM)
Ok I'll bite. We'll begin the Miguel Angel Sano portion of the chat. The latest is that his agent Rob Plummer continues to hunt for a better deal since he's been unimpressed with the offers he's received so far. Of note is that this weekend, according to one major league source, the Los Angeles Angels had one of their major league scouts take a look at Sano. This is interesting on several fronts: 1. Since the firing of their head international scout Clay Daniels, the Angels have laid low on the international market this summer. 2. The Angels have the resources to be aggressive if they truly like Sano.

Jay (Raleigh, NC)
Any idea what the Pirates offer was money-wise? Was it so low that Plummer just brushed it aside?

Jorge Arangure Jr. (12:32 PM)
Jay, from what I understand the Pirates offer for Sano did not reach $2.5 million. Of course that was far below what agent Rob Plummer expects for his client. That being said, no other team has stepped up and countered the Pirates offer. So although Plummer thinks his client is worth more, the market may not dictate that he is worth much more than the Pirates have offered.

Post subject: Re: Latest on Sano
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:47 am 

Jorge later came back and Tweeted that the Angels said they are long way from making an offer. I'm not sure what that means, if anything. Also, Sano's agent said he doesn't expect anything to happen until Sept.

I'm not personally as interested in Sano as I was a few weeks ago. The on going age concern that is still not resolved has me concerned, and the fact that no one else is jumping in seems to indicate that other teams are not as sold as him as we are. That doesn't mean I wouldn't love to have him, but I don't think signing Sano is make/break for the FO. Currently we have offered >2.0M (a large amount) and no else has offered anything.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:08 pm 

BostonBuc wrote:
Currently we have offered >2.0M (a large amount) and no else has offered anything.

That is the key. The agent is waiting until September, not to evaluate the offers, but in the hope that his client gets another legitimate offer.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:19 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
BostonBuc wrote:
Currently we have offered >2.0M (a large amount) and no else has offered anything.

That is the key. The agent is waiting until September, not to evaluate the offers, but in the hope that his client gets another legitimate offer.

The question is will the Pirates be given a chance to counter in the event that another offer is received?

If you are the Pirates, would you at least ask what it would take to get him signed now? I'm guessing the lack of offers may have lowered the initial asking price.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:23 pm 

BBF wrote:
Bucfan wrote:
BostonBuc wrote:

The question is will the Pirates be given a chance to counter in the event that another offer is received?

If you are the Pirates, would you at least ask what it would take to get him signed now? I'm guessing the lack of offers may have lowered the initial asking price.

They are the only bidders. Sano's agent is hoping that a bidding war will develop. Why start a bidding war against themselves?

Most of the reports I've seen state that Sano wants to sign with the Pirates, so I think they'd get a chance to top another offer. They shouldn't offer more than they think he's worth, though. That way lies ruin.