Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:07 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Game Report 8-9-09
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:50 pm 

Sorry to be deceiving but thought that I would share some observations from Comiskey . . . er . . . Cellular One from last night.

The game involved the Chicago White Sox and Cleveland Indians. It was a Saturday night in August. The Sox were two games out of first place heading into last night's game. They are the defending AL Central Champions. They won the 2005 World Series. They have had winning records in '05, '06 and '08 after stumbling in '07. Chicago is the US' third largest city. White Sox also have lucrative deal with Comcast for TV broadcast rights and, from what I understand, a fairly lucrative radio deal as well.

This is what I saw: (1) giveaway coupons as I walked in the park; (2) advertisements for "binder" day (8/9/09) for kids as they get ready to go back to school; (3) a video scoreboard Chicago pizza race between innings (obviously playing upon Chicago's belief that it has the best pizza); (4) a video scoreboard race involving McDonald's food (McD is HQ'd in Oak Brook, IL); (5) at least 8 attractive Sox "ball" girls bouncing (and I do mean "bounce") around between innings shooting t-shirts to the crowd, hosting HR contests in LF, and a bowling contest (all viewable on the big screen); (6) an automobile raffle advertisement (cars driven onto CF between innings).

Oh yeah . . . it was also Fireworks Night promoted by St. Francis University.

Attendance: Just over 35,000.

White Sox payroll in '09? Just over $96,000,000. Payroll in '08? Over $121,000,000.

This sort of activity has been prevalent at Cellular One for at least 5 years.

All of this "side show" for a winning team with steady media revenue streams and a pretty high payroll. Who would have thunk it?

Post subject: Re: Game Report 8-9-09
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:08 pm 

Well how was the game, then?

The ballgirls sound very interesting. The other promotions, not so much.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:47 pm 

Good one No. 9. LOL!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:05 pm 

No. 9, one day "Chicago Pizza" will be across the front of the jersey. I give it ten years.

You saw the Tomo Ohka meltdown I take it. Did you study the Indians roster? Aside from Grady Sizemore, Hafner, Carmona, Peralta they're basically the Columbus Clippers (and a couple of those guys should probably spend time in Columbus.)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:04 pm 

Ollie wrote:
No. 9, one day "Chicago Pizza" will be across the front of the jersey. I give it ten years.

You saw the Tomo Ohka meltdown I take it. Did you study the Indians roster? Aside from Grady Sizemore, Hafner, Carmona, Peralta they're basically the Columbus Clippers (and a couple of those guys should probably spend time in Columbus.)

Tomo Ohka = liquid lava. Meltdown of catastrophic proportions. I never did read the game story. Do you know why Masterson was taken out of the game after 4 innings. He looked pretty good (as far as one can tell from really cheap seats).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:33 pm 

Masterson was a reliever.. he's being "eased" into the starting rotation, so his pitch count was limited to 60 or so.