Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Good Maholm-Bad Maholm?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:43 am 

Elmer wrote:

I guess I'm hoping for more than consistently mediocre. I think they need at least 3 to be consistently GOOD. Then you can deal with mediocre from 4 and 5 if need be.

If Maholm pitched consistently at the level that he threw last night, he would be the staff ace on a lot of teams. 2.25 ERA isn't a #3 starter. A number 3 starter is someone who occasionally does that and occasionally gives up 4 runs over 5 or 6 innings.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:14 pm 
BBF wrote:
Elmer wrote:

I guess I'm hoping for more than consistently mediocre. I think they need at least 3 to be consistently GOOD. Then you can deal with mediocre from 4 and 5 if need be.

If Maholm pitched consistently at the level that he threw last night, he would be the staff ace on a lot of teams. 2.25 ERA isn't a #3 starter. A number 3 starter is someone who occasionally does that and occasionally gives up 4 runs over 5 or 6 innings.

IF is the key there. He doesn't consistently pitch at the level he threw last night. The problem is that no one on the staff pitches consistently at the level he threw last night. I don't see a number 1 or number 2 starter on the entire staff.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:00 pm 

Elmer wrote:
IF is the key there. He doesn't consistently pitch at the level he threw last night. The problem is that no one on the staff pitches consistently at the level he threw last night. I don't see a number 1 or number 2 starter on the entire staff.

Right. My point is that he is a perfectly acceptable middle-of-the-rotation starter. And when your GM spends 6 years deliberately drafting guys who will make good #3 starters...well, you end up with a rotation of #3 starters.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:31 pm 
BBF wrote:
Elmer wrote:

Right. My point is that he is a perfectly acceptable middle-of-the-rotation starter. And when your GM spends 6 years deliberately drafting guys who will make good #3 starters...well, you end up with a rotation of #3 starters.

Even worse than that, when your GM spends 6 years deliberately drafting guys with a CEILING of being a No. 3 starter, what happens when they fall short of reaching that ceiling? You get guys who you expected to be part of your rotation battling for long relief duties (JVB and Bullington) and as middle relief (Burnett).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:30 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
He must have that ESPN thing...

Complete with annoying pop-up ads.