Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Good Maholm-Bad Maholm?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:06 pm
Posts: 3369
Location: Westmoreland County Pennsylvania
I smell Bad Maholm tonight. Way to hold the lead there Paully...... :roll:

_________________
Image...You can observe a lot by just watching. -Yogi Berra


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Good Maholm-Bad Maholm?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7258
Theres a game tonight? With the excitement of the draft and the loss of the Pens...I forgot there was a game...

Now if I can find my car keys...

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Good Maholm-Bad Maholm?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:44 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
6 IP, 2 ER...BD, I think your nose needs checked...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Good Maholm-Bad Maholm?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:06 pm
Posts: 3369
Location: Westmoreland County Pennsylvania
BBF wrote:
6 IP, 2 ER...BD, I think your nose needs checked...


Agreed BBF. I figured if I got a negative post out early about Paully he would buckle down and start pitching! :mrgreen:

_________________
Image...You can observe a lot by just watching. -Yogi Berra


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Good Maholm-Bad Maholm?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10634
Maholm is a pitcher.

He can get it up to 93 mph, but he knows how to make guys swing and miss at lower velocity.

He is not walking anybody tonight. He has thrown just 72 pitches in 6 innings - and just 19 balls. This, despite an error which made him throw quite a few extra pitches.

And this is why I like Maholm. He will give up 2-3 runs, but will not get blistered and driven out of the game in the 3rd inning. He will keep his team in the game. He will go deep into games and will win, if the Buccos can put up 4-5 runs.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Good Maholm-Bad Maholm?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:34 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:09 pm
Posts: 2083
Location: Hingham, MA
Bucfan wrote:
He will give up 2-3 runs, but will not get blistered and driven out of the game in the 3rd inning. He will keep his team in the game. He will go deep into games and will win, if the Buccos can put up 4-5 runs.


4-3 Pirates, and a W for Maholm.

Bucfan, in addition to all your other talents, you are a prophet. (Either that, or you're able to see into the future.)

_________________
If you think nobody notices you and you're all alone, try not paying your bills.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Good Maholm-Bad Maholm?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:43 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7258
Bob in Boston wrote:
Bucfan, in addition to all your other talents, you are a prophet. (Either that, or you're able to see into the future.)



He must have that ESPN thing...

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Good Maholm-Bad Maholm?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:37 am 
The fact you have to wonder "which" Maholm will show up is a reason for my lack of faith in him. I want consistency from starting pitching. There hasn't been much consistency from ver many Pirates pitchers this year.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Good Maholm-Bad Maholm?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:47 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 am
Posts: 3612
Location: Economy, PA
Gotta disagree. The Pirates starters have actually been pretty consistent. Doumatrait, Duke, and Maholm have been mostly good or at least mediocre. Snell and Gorzo have been consistently bad all year.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Good Maholm-Bad Maholm?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:53 am 
Ralphie wrote:
Gotta disagree. The Pirates starters have actually been pretty consistent. Doumatrait, Duke, and Maholm have been mostly good or at least mediocre. Snell and Gorzo have been consistently bad all year.


I guess I'm hoping for more than consistently mediocre. I think they need at least 3 to be consistently GOOD. Then you can deal with mediocre from 4 and 5 if need be.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Good Maholm-Bad Maholm?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:43 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
Elmer wrote:

I guess I'm hoping for more than consistently mediocre. I think they need at least 3 to be consistently GOOD. Then you can deal with mediocre from 4 and 5 if need be.


If Maholm pitched consistently at the level that he threw last night, he would be the staff ace on a lot of teams. 2.25 ERA isn't a #3 starter. A number 3 starter is someone who occasionally does that and occasionally gives up 4 runs over 5 or 6 innings.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Good Maholm-Bad Maholm?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:14 pm 
BBF wrote:
Elmer wrote:

I guess I'm hoping for more than consistently mediocre. I think they need at least 3 to be consistently GOOD. Then you can deal with mediocre from 4 and 5 if need be.


If Maholm pitched consistently at the level that he threw last night, he would be the staff ace on a lot of teams. 2.25 ERA isn't a #3 starter. A number 3 starter is someone who occasionally does that and occasionally gives up 4 runs over 5 or 6 innings.


IF is the key there. He doesn't consistently pitch at the level he threw last night. The problem is that no one on the staff pitches consistently at the level he threw last night. I don't see a number 1 or number 2 starter on the entire staff.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Good Maholm-Bad Maholm?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:00 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
Elmer wrote:
IF is the key there. He doesn't consistently pitch at the level he threw last night. The problem is that no one on the staff pitches consistently at the level he threw last night. I don't see a number 1 or number 2 starter on the entire staff.


Right. My point is that he is a perfectly acceptable middle-of-the-rotation starter. And when your GM spends 6 years deliberately drafting guys who will make good #3 starters...well, you end up with a rotation of #3 starters.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Good Maholm-Bad Maholm?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:31 pm 
BBF wrote:
Elmer wrote:
IF is the key there. He doesn't consistently pitch at the level he threw last night. The problem is that no one on the staff pitches consistently at the level he threw last night. I don't see a number 1 or number 2 starter on the entire staff.


Right. My point is that he is a perfectly acceptable middle-of-the-rotation starter. And when your GM spends 6 years deliberately drafting guys who will make good #3 starters...well, you end up with a rotation of #3 starters.


Even worse than that, when your GM spends 6 years deliberately drafting guys with a CEILING of being a No. 3 starter, what happens when they fall short of reaching that ceiling? You get guys who you expected to be part of your rotation battling for long relief duties (JVB and Bullington) and as middle relief (Burnett).


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Good Maholm-Bad Maholm?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10634
nad69dan wrote:
He must have that ESPN thing...


Complete with annoying pop-up ads.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Corsair, Google [Bot], StarlingArcher, tprothro and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits