Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Good Maholm-Bad Maholm?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:43 pm 

I smell Bad Maholm tonight. Way to hold the lead there Paully...... :roll:

Post subject: Re: Good Maholm-Bad Maholm?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:46 pm 

Theres a game tonight? With the excitement of the draft and the loss of the Pens...I forgot there was a game...

Now if I can find my car keys...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:44 pm 

6 IP, 2 ER...BD, I think your nose needs checked...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:48 pm 

BBF wrote:
6 IP, 2 ER...BD, I think your nose needs checked...

Agreed BBF. I figured if I got a negative post out early about Paully he would buckle down and start pitching! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:51 pm 

Maholm is a pitcher.

He can get it up to 93 mph, but he knows how to make guys swing and miss at lower velocity.

He is not walking anybody tonight. He has thrown just 72 pitches in 6 innings - and just 19 balls. This, despite an error which made him throw quite a few extra pitches.

And this is why I like Maholm. He will give up 2-3 runs, but will not get blistered and driven out of the game in the 3rd inning. He will keep his team in the game. He will go deep into games and will win, if the Buccos can put up 4-5 runs.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:34 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
He will give up 2-3 runs, but will not get blistered and driven out of the game in the 3rd inning. He will keep his team in the game. He will go deep into games and will win, if the Buccos can put up 4-5 runs.

4-3 Pirates, and a W for Maholm.

Bucfan, in addition to all your other talents, you are a prophet. (Either that, or you're able to see into the future.)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:43 am 

Bob in Boston wrote:
Bucfan, in addition to all your other talents, you are a prophet. (Either that, or you're able to see into the future.)

He must have that ESPN thing...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:37 am 
The fact you have to wonder "which" Maholm will show up is a reason for my lack of faith in him. I want consistency from starting pitching. There hasn't been much consistency from ver many Pirates pitchers this year.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:47 am 

Gotta disagree. The Pirates starters have actually been pretty consistent. Doumatrait, Duke, and Maholm have been mostly good or at least mediocre. Snell and Gorzo have been consistently bad all year.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:53 am 
Ralphie wrote:
Gotta disagree. The Pirates starters have actually been pretty consistent. Doumatrait, Duke, and Maholm have been mostly good or at least mediocre. Snell and Gorzo have been consistently bad all year.

I guess I'm hoping for more than consistently mediocre. I think they need at least 3 to be consistently GOOD. Then you can deal with mediocre from 4 and 5 if need be.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:43 am 

Elmer wrote:

I guess I'm hoping for more than consistently mediocre. I think they need at least 3 to be consistently GOOD. Then you can deal with mediocre from 4 and 5 if need be.

If Maholm pitched consistently at the level that he threw last night, he would be the staff ace on a lot of teams. 2.25 ERA isn't a #3 starter. A number 3 starter is someone who occasionally does that and occasionally gives up 4 runs over 5 or 6 innings.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:14 pm 
BBF wrote:
Elmer wrote:

If Maholm pitched consistently at the level that he threw last night, he would be the staff ace on a lot of teams. 2.25 ERA isn't a #3 starter. A number 3 starter is someone who occasionally does that and occasionally gives up 4 runs over 5 or 6 innings.

IF is the key there. He doesn't consistently pitch at the level he threw last night. The problem is that no one on the staff pitches consistently at the level he threw last night. I don't see a number 1 or number 2 starter on the entire staff.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:00 pm 

Elmer wrote:
IF is the key there. He doesn't consistently pitch at the level he threw last night. The problem is that no one on the staff pitches consistently at the level he threw last night. I don't see a number 1 or number 2 starter on the entire staff.

Right. My point is that he is a perfectly acceptable middle-of-the-rotation starter. And when your GM spends 6 years deliberately drafting guys who will make good #3 starters...well, you end up with a rotation of #3 starters.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:31 pm 
BBF wrote:
Elmer wrote:

Right. My point is that he is a perfectly acceptable middle-of-the-rotation starter. And when your GM spends 6 years deliberately drafting guys who will make good #3 starters...well, you end up with a rotation of #3 starters.

Even worse than that, when your GM spends 6 years deliberately drafting guys with a CEILING of being a No. 3 starter, what happens when they fall short of reaching that ceiling? You get guys who you expected to be part of your rotation battling for long relief duties (JVB and Bullington) and as middle relief (Burnett).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:30 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
He must have that ESPN thing...

Complete with annoying pop-up ads.