Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:38 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Jason Michaels...
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:45 am 

sisyphus wrote:
Bucfan wrote:
Michaels' best swing, and one that I would thank him for, would be conking Adam Laroche on the head to get him out of the lineup.

Yes, let's get more at bats for the inferior hitter.

Michaels is already catching up with him in RBIs and if he keeps it up, HRs too.

This was a very good pick-up by Huntington ... as was Phil Dumatrait.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:03 am 

Both are great pick ups, no question. However, the difference is that Dumatrait was 26 years old who because of arm problems was only given one small chance to succeed in the major leagues. When he didn't do it in incredibly limited innings with the Reds, they released him. Credit the scouting department and Dumatrait for working to improve on that one.

Michaels is a different story. He has always been a serviceable hitter, but not at 32 he is at a stage where the money is better on him getting worse than getting better. He's been hot with the Pirates so far, but it was also unrealistic that he would hit as poorly for the whole season as he had with the Indians. So far though, the free pieces that Huntington picks up have been the right ones. And he deserves plenty of credit for that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:06 am 

I wouldnt have a problem letting Michaels get a start in RF and Nady going to 1st for a game or 2, but definitely not a permanent move...if something were to happen to LaRoche, I believe its Pearce or possibly Craig getting the call from Indy...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:46 am 
nad69dan wrote:
I wouldnt have a problem letting Michaels get a start in RF and Nady going to 1st for a game or 2, but definitely not a permanent move...if something were to happen to LaRoche, I believe its Pearce or possibly Craig getting the call from Indy...

I'm in favor of all of those options. Getting Michaels or Pearce in the lineup instead of LaRoche would help the team win more games, imo.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:59 pm 

TheShark wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
Bucfan wrote:
Michaels' best swing, and one that I would thank him for, would be conking Adam Laroche on the head to get him out of the lineup.

Yes, let's get more at bats for the inferior hitter.

Michaels is already catching up with him in RBIs and if he keeps it up, HRs too.

This was a very good pick-up by Huntington ... as was Phil Dumatrait.

You're right, it was a fine pickup. There is a reason that Michaels was available to be picked up. He's a bench player who can fill in a couple of times a week to give your starters a rest. Miscasting him as a regular flies in the face of his established level of production. He's an average Major League hitter, nothing more. His career OPS is .764. LaRoche's is .811, and he's four years younger. Without compelling evidence that Michaels is an EXTREMELY late bloomer, there is no comparison between the two.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:03 pm 

Elmer wrote:
nad69dan wrote:

I'm in favor of all of those options. Getting Michaels or Pearce in the lineup instead of LaRoche would help the team win more games, imo.

You might be right about Pearce one day, but right now he's failing to hit AAA pitching. I'd wait until he does something to earn a callup.

As to Michaels, you're just flat wrong. LaRoche is a far better hitter.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:38 pm 
sisyphus wrote:
Elmer wrote:
nad69dan wrote:

You might be right about Pearce one day, but right now he's failing to hit AAA pitching. I'd wait until he does something to earn a callup.

As to Michaels, you're just flat wrong. LaRoche is a far better hitter.

Right now LaRoche is not a "far better hitter." Michaels getting atbats instead of LaRoche can only help you win games, at least until Michaels shows that he doesn't deserve to be in there.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:33 pm 

Elmer wrote:
Right now LaRoche is not a "far better hitter." Michaels getting atbats instead of LaRoche can only help you win games, at least until Michaels shows that he doesn't deserve to be in there.

Michaels is currently in his sixth season of proving that he isn't an every day major league hitter. If six years isn't enough evidence, what is? You seem to think that you can judge a player based on his last week of production, and that is ridiculous.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:55 pm 
sisyphus wrote:
Elmer wrote:

Michaels is currently in his sixth season of proving that he isn't an every day major league hitter. If six years isn't enough evidence, what is? You seem to think that you can judge a player based on his last week of production, and that is ridiculous.

I agree he isn't an every day major league for any long stretch. But right now he is hitting like a quality every day player. Ride that success.

Once he starts hitting like a non-every-day major leaguer, then bench him.

You seem to want to play guys who aren't hitting instead of guys who are hitting which is ridiculous.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:02 pm 

Elmer wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
Elmer wrote:

I agree he isn't an every day major league for any long stretch. But right now he is hitting like a quality every day player. Ride that success.

Once he starts hitting like a non-every-day major leaguer, then bench him.

You seem to want to play guys who aren't hitting instead of guys who are hitting which is ridiculous.

If you're just talking about riding the hot hand for a bit, that's no bid deal. If you're thinking of more than that, it's a bad idea.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:26 pm 
sisyphus wrote:
If you're just talking about riding the hot hand for a bit, that's no bid deal. If you're thinking of more than that, it's a bad idea.

Why determine that ahead of time? Why not ride the hot bat as long as it's hot. If it stays hot for a few games, well that's expected and when he cools off, make him a bench guy again as he's been.

But what if he stays hot the rest of the year? Unlikely? Yes. But what if it happens? You would advocate sitting him because he didn't hit in years past? What would that prove?