Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NH speaks to the fanbase
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:02 am 

"I hope you would support who we are, not who we are not.".....Sounds like the definition of a fan to me!

Post subject: Re: NH speaks to the fanbase
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:07 am 

Something Huntington said yesterday and I like it. Time to step up or get out of the way.

"They've been through a lot, certainly in the last month or so," he said of the players. "They've lost friends, teammates, some veteran leadership. We're going to address that this is the group. This is the group we need to step up. They need to outwork, to out-prepare, to compete. Every one of those guys has a tremendous opportunity to step forward and become a major league player and to stranglehold a job that's theirs for years to come. And, if they don't, we've got people coming behind them in the system. The days of scholarship are over."

He does not intent to take a prepared speech into the room.

"I'm going to let the emotions take over. I believe so strongly about where we're going."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09212/98 ... z0MqM9TIKg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:10 am 

VanSlick wrote:
Something Huntington said yesterday and I like it. Time to step up or get out of the way.

"They've been through a lot, certainly in the last month or so," he said of the players. "They've lost friends, teammates, some veteran leadership. We're going to address that this is the group. This is the group we need to step up. They need to outwork, to out-prepare, to compete. Every one of those guys has a tremendous opportunity to step forward and become a major league player and to stranglehold a job that's theirs for years to come. And, if they don't, we've got people coming behind them in the system. The days of scholarship are over."

"I'm going to let the emotions take over. I believe so strongly about where we're going."

This meeting will take place after 4 PM, right? I'm still not convinced they're done.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:09 pm 

No, maybe we can dump the Mad Capper.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:37 pm 

Neil H: [talks to the team before the next game] All right people, we got 10 minutes 'till game time, let's all gather 'round. I'm not much for giving inspirational addresses, but I'd just like to point out that every newspaper in the country has picked us to finish last. The local press seems to think that we'd save everyone the time and trouble if we just went out and shot ourselves. Me, I'm for wasting sportswriters' time. So I figured we ought to hang around for a while and see if we can give 'em all a nice big shitburger to eat!
[entire team laughs]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:45 pm 

VanSlick wrote:

Amen NH! This is awesome. I totally agree with him. It's tough but it's time to move forward. I thnk it's very exciting right now. We are now young, athletic, talented, with players that are beginning their careers with a lot of upside.