Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Sean Burnett - Pirates a "laughingstock"
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:57 am 

jaybee24 wrote:
JolietKev wrote:
Should he have said that? Probably not, however he is not lying. If you listen to other media outlets, the Pirates are a joke.

The sports media, especially sports radio, is mostly comprised of complete morons who would not know how to build a baseball team if you spotted them Roy Halladay and Albert Pujols. They see the 17 years of losing and laugh, but they ignore everything that's gone on with the team in the past couple years. I'm really not concerned about their opinions.

Thats true ..I dont need the media outlets to tell me the Pirates are a joke/laughingstock. The proof has been and continues to be the results.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:00 pm 

The record speaks for itself.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:02 pm 

estrago wrote:
Thats true ..I dont need the media outlets to tell me the Pirates are a joke/laughingstock. The proof has been and continues to be the results.

Then why the hell would you criticize the Pirates when they trade the group of players that lost, and lost, and lost, and lost? And in the process acquired more top-flight young talent than they have had since the late 1980's??

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:08 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
estrago wrote:

Then why the hell would you criticize the Pirates when they trade the group of players that lost, and lost, and lost, and lost? And in the process acquired more top-flight young talent than they have had since the late 1980's??

Show me where I have criticized the recent trades. I criticize the ownership continualy for being cheap...more concerned with profit/losses vs wins/losses.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:13 pm 

estrago wrote:
Show me where I have criticized the recent trades.

Fair enough. In short, the club has massively overhauled the personnel and by acquiring some 21 players in various deals over the past 2 years, are on the right track.

Then why so dismissive of the Pirates?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:22 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
estrago wrote:
Show me where I have criticized the recent trades.

Fair enough. In short, the club has massively overhauled the personnel and by acquiring some 21 players in various deals over the past 2 years, are on the right track.

Then why so dismissive of the Pirates?

They are on a track..but is the the right track?...that remains to be seen. Again lets say some of these prospects produce at the MLB level. When will ownership write the check to sign or trade for proven talent to get them over the hump and win a championship? They are constantly at the bottom of payroll. Imagine if they were in the AL East? They are more concerned with profit/losses vs wins/losses

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:29 pm 

Washington gave a five year extension to Zimmerman.. $45 million over five years, was it? Sean and his teammates know that if the younger players produce even that franchise may reward them.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:34 pm 

estrago wrote:
They are on a track..but is the the right track?...that remains to be seen.

As I have been saying for a lot of years, the only way to succeed in the major leagues, absent spending like the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers and Cubs, is too stockpile a ton of young talent. Get 30 blue-chip prospects, and realize 10 top-flight major league players, 10 good players, and 10 flame-outs.

So when Brandon Moss, and 4th OF'er in one trade, flames out, it is beyond belief that some observers freak out.

And P.S. - the Pirates are not going to spend like the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs or Dodgers, no matter how much we would want them to do so.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:03 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
estrago wrote:
They are on a track..but is the the right track?...that remains to be seen.

As I have been saying for a lot of years, the only way to succeed in the major leagues, absent spending like the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers and Cubs, is too stockpile a ton of young talent. Get 30 blue-chip prospects, and realize 10 top-flight major league players, 10 good players, and 10 flame-outs.

So when Brandon Moss, and 4th OF'er in one trade, flames out, it is beyond belief that some observers freak out.

And P.S. - the Pirates are not going to spend like the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs or Dodgers, no matter how much we would want them to do so.

Right on Bucfan, people have to realize no matter how good these prospects become the Pirates will probably never
top more than 80 to 90 mill for payroll. If it gets that high it will be for a season or two to see how it works out, if it fails
as far as winning anything, they will start dealing the proven players on the squad again for more prospects.
It is a cycle that small market teams have to deal with. If the haters of the Pirates dont and wont spend money group
don't understand that TOP free agents will never be coming here than they might as well jump off the ship completely now
and find something else to follow. Albert Pujols as a free agent will never come here even if he is the missing piece to the Pirates
competing almost championship team at that moment.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:18 pm 

Here's some perspective from Washington on Burnett's comments: Sean Burnett's Glass House

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:22 pm 

burghermeister wrote:
Here's some perspective from Washington on Burnett's comments: Sean Burnett's Glass House

Slam Dunk.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:10 pm 

Argentum wrote:
burghermeister wrote:

Slam Dunk.

The glass house matches his glass arm...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:20 pm 

"yo yo yo, Nationals be in da house!!!" - Burnett

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:13 pm 

estrago wrote:
Bucfan wrote:
estrago wrote:

Show me where I have criticized the recent trades. I criticize the ownership continualy for being cheap...more concerned with profit/losses vs wins/losses.

What other businesses do you expect to lose money so that you can be entertained?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:59 am 

sisyphus wrote:
What other businesses do you expect to lose money so that you can be entertained?

These guys keep ignoring your question, so let me respond:

(1) The Adam Sandler movie business. Every one of his movies loses - or should lose - money. However, I am not entertained.

(2) Gilligan's Island re-runs. The commercials for those re-runs are horrid. I suspect the statiion has to pay the "advertisers" to market their product on these re-runs. "The Germans, they make good products." But I am definitely entertained - Mary Anne rocks.

That is all I can think of right now.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:45 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Mary Anne rocks.

A Mary Anne man. I knew there was I reason I liked you!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:54 am 

Bucfan wrote:
sisyphus wrote:

These guys keep ignoring your question, so let me respond:

(1) The Adam Sandler movie business. Every one of his movies loses - or should lose - money. However, I am not entertained.

(2) Gilligan's Island re-runs. The commercials for those re-runs are horrid. I suspect the statiion has to pay the "advertisers" to market their product on these re-runs. "The Germans, they make good products." But I am definitely entertained - Mary Anne rocks.

That is all I can think of right now.

Mrs. Howell is hot!