Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:32 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tabata promoted to Indy
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:44 am 

http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/pbc/archive/2009/07/30/tabata-promoted-to-indianapolis.aspx

Post subject: Re: Tabata promoted to Indy
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:52 am 

This is exciting news. Now we can see what Tabata can do for the next month and half/two with
AAA pitching. Does well enough now and has a good showing in Spring Training, you never know
the 2010 opening day outfield could be LF Milledge CF McCutchen RF Tabata. Not too shabby.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:27 am 

Very glad to hear this. I think besides his power struggles he has shown alot in AA and he deserved to be brought up to AAA.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:10 am 

He was walking a lot, and not fanning, for most of the season. Recently, he stopped drawing walks and began to K a bit more.

For a guy just 21, however, his performance has been superb. Look at it this way - he could be a junior in college right now. If a junior in college was picked, he would be in A-ball, not going to AAA.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:55 am 

No way Tabata starts the season with the Pirates next year. At best, he'll be a June call up like Cutch and that's only if he blows everyone away with his performance in Indy.

First, these guys have shown they're not going to rush prospects. There are good examples in their own system of what happens when you do (see Millings, Lastings and now Clement, Jeff). The Cutch way is the right way. Let the guy demonstrate success over an extended period in AAA and come up when he can play with confidence and succeed.

Second, bringing rookies up on opening day is usually not a sound financial strategy as it puts them on a track for arbitration after 3 years and free agency after 6. Waiting until June (again, like Cutch), buys you another year on both counts.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:58 am 

Good post.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:35 pm 

I think when he fills out, the power will come...He has been lately getting 2 hits a night in Altoona...He had a 15 game hitting streak, and has been great on D...(atleast from what I've heard on the radio)

I really need to get to a game down there...its tough with my schedule...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:49 pm 

burghermeister wrote:
No way Tabata starts the season with the Pirates next year. At best, he'll be a June call up like Cutch and that's only if he blows everyone away with his performance in Indy.

First, these guys have shown they're not going to rush prospects. There are good examples in their own system of what happens when you do (see Millings, Lastings and now Clement, Jeff). The Cutch way is the right way. Let the guy demonstrate success over an extended period in AAA and come up when he can play with confidence and succeed.

Second, bringing rookies up on opening day is usually not a sound financial strategy as it puts them on a track for arbitration after 3 years and free agency after 6. Waiting until June (again, like Cutch), buys you another year on both counts.

Just your opinion, we will have to wait and see. not rushing him? He is 21 and now in AAA. Walker was the youngest at Indy until
now, he's what 24? As with the everything else we will have to wait and see. What I said was my opinion and I thought
they were going to have him finish the year at Altoona, and you see what they did, so anything is possible.
And if he is deserving, because no one will be in his way in RF, Like 'Cutch, Mclouth was in CF remember, he could
make the team, I don't think they will let the years of service thing get in the way if he is ready by opening day.
But you are probably right because the Pirates suck anyway right???

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:15 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Tabata will have to demonstrate power and the ability to get through a full season first.

Maybe his power is shot, as curve stated, by his hammy injuries this year. Makes sense to me.

We'll see.

ZM

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:41 pm 

Not every player just starts hitting for power. We need to remember guys like that are few and far between in this league. Just because the guy has a certain body type or style, doesn't guarantee anything. I have my doubts if he will ever hit for power, but only time will tell. I don't think he needs to hit for more power for us to call him up, but he is still very young and already at AAA. I agree with the fact he could be a June call-up next season if everything goes well and he stays healthy.