Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The trade deadline couldn't have been better timed....
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:38 pm 

With the Washington series coming up we have a real chance to make up some serious ground in the Bryce Harper sweepstakes. I would love to hold the top pick next year. It would be a real true test for management and ownership. Will they really draft and sign the top player if available?

Post subject: Re: The trade deadline couldn't have been better timed....
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:07 pm 

MoTownWV wrote:
With the Washington series coming up we have a real chance to make up some serious ground in the Bryce Harper sweepstakes. I would love to hold the top pick next year. It would be a real true test for management and ownership. Will they really draft and sign the top player if available?

Like Pedro Alvarez?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:13 pm 

I don't think there is anyway we finish lower than Washington.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:20 pm 

They will not win 15 games in the second half. I hope they lose every game.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:45 pm 

JolietKev wrote:

I can tell you have been a big Pirates fan for 30 years, with a statement like that.

I am calling you a liar. You are a retarded, demented, sick Cubs fan. Nothing more. Go back to your "curse of the goat" or the "black cat" or Steve Bartman or whatever the hell else you want to blame for your team's incompetence.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:51 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
JolietKev wrote:

I can tell you have been a big Pirates fan for 30 years, with a statement like that.

I am calling you a liar. You are a retarded, demented, sick Cubs fan. Nothing more. Go back to your "curse of the goat" or the "black cat" or Steve Bartman or whatever the hell else you want to blame for your team's incompetence.

I didn't want to be the one to say it first but i have to agree. JolietKev is Steve Bartman and the Cub fans didn't want him on their boards so they sent him to ours. Either that or that was just a really stupid thing to say.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:28 pm 

JolietKev wrote:

If you don't live in Pittsburgh anymore or ever you have no say in the matter so go away. Didn't say earlier today
that you were done following the team for NOW, well its NOW. Please back off and find something else to do.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:35 pm 

wleeds wrote:
JolietKev wrote:

If you don't live in Pittsburgh anymore or ever you have no say in the matter so go away. Didn't say earlier today
that you were done following the team for NOW, well its NOW. Please back off and find something else to do.

Whoa slow down there wleeds... I don't live in Pittsburgh anymore but I got a say. I spent 10 years serving this country and was left off in the armpit of baseball universe(Wash D.C.), don't exclude me from this party.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:41 pm 

They absolutely drafted and signed the best available player two years ago. This year it is very debatable. And it was very clear the desire not to play a big first round bonus was part of the equation.

So it is very much up in the air if we are under a new regime philosophically or is it more of the Littlefield/McClatchy show.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:43 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:
wleeds wrote:
JolietKev wrote:

Whoa slow down there wleeds... I don't live in Pittsburgh anymore but I got a say. I spent 10 years serving this country and was left off in the armpit of baseball universe(Wash D.C.), don't exclude me from this party.

I think it is harder to remain a true outside of the area fan that it is to be in the local area of that team. We have some fans around here that haven't ever been to this country and they are by far "true fans"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:04 am 

Piratefan13 wrote:
wleeds wrote:
JolietKev wrote:

This wasn't aimed at you. It was aimed at the quote'. If you're backing the Pirates do it from where ever you are. But
J-Kev is a flamer who isn't a Pirates fan to begin with.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:04 am 

Jeez I spend $200 a year on MLB innings every year, I WISH I could live back at home. Being away from Pittsburgh sucks...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:10 am 

Dudes calm down, it was a reply to J-Kev not a blast to all outsiders who have moved away
or been removed by comitment. We just have alot of haters of this team on this board who are out
of towners and who are more than likely just flames stirring up the pot. It has gotten really sensitive
here all the sudden. We are Pirates fans we should have bodies and minds tougher than Cockroaches. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:19 am 

wleeds wrote:
Dudes calm down, it was a reply to J-Kev not a blast to all outsiders who have moved away
or been removed by comitment. We just have alot of haters of this team on this board who are out
of towners and who are more than likely just flames stirring up the pot. It has gotten really sensitive
here all the sudden. We are Pirates fans we should have bodies and minds tougher than Cockroaches. ;)

I am ok there wleeds, don't worry, I was just taking a few minutes to wallow... no worries

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:25 am 

Piratefan13 wrote:
wleeds wrote:

I am ok there wleeds, don't worry, I was just taking a few minutes to wallow... no worries

Cool, I was starting to think I was going to be a one man band on this board, hated by both sides, the dark
and the light. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:21 am 

Actually wleeds, the out of towners are almost all longtime loyalists. Check the map and register, you will see. I just spent 4 nights at the big airplane hanger. I don't go if the Bucs arent' there.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:31 am 

1. Like Colin said, NO WAY does Burgh finish below the Nats. None.

2. I don't think it matters how bad we finish; we'll still have a top 5-10 pick and in the MLB draft, that's good enough.

3. The deadline couldn't have been better timed, because now Burgh can call up/send down the right guys and start to figure out the assets they've acquired. Now's the time to start putting together this puzzle.

Should be a fun last two+ months.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:10 pm 

I think Joliet Kev is Dave Littlefield!!!

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...