Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Clement
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:32 pm 

DK doesn't seem to think much of Clement. Here's his answer during the chat to a question about when we might see Clement in Pittsburgh:
Quote:
No way he could be here this year. Maybe not next, either, with an option, but the Pirates hope he does make it. Lots of work to make him a competent defensive player, though.

So, given that I'm from the "I've never played the game above little league" crowd, I ask the more seasoned baseball experts on this board: how hard can it be to teach someone to play first base at a minimal level of competency? I can't imagine that this could be a multi-year project for someone who is (a) a former catcher and (b) a good enough athlete to have the hand/eye coordination to hit a baseball consistently for long distances.

I'm hoping that Clement's complete lack of defensive proficiency is more myth than fact. Remember how they used to call Ryan Doumit "No Mitt"? And yet he doesn't embarrass himself out there. Time will tell, I guess.

Post subject: Re: Clement
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:39 pm 

Clement was a #3 overall pick, I find it hard to believe that the guy couldn't at least play 1B. With Coach Perry Hill at the ML level, he could have turned Dick Stuart into a SS. Don't read into the BS Burger, DK is doing his best to try and temper enthusiam with a "devils advocate" approach. Silly, but it sells papers in Pittsburgh right now.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:43 pm 

burghermeister wrote:
DK doesn't seem to think much of Clement. Here's his answer during the chat to a question about when we might see Clement in Pittsburgh:
Quote:
No way he could be here this year. Maybe not next, either, with an option, but the Pirates hope he does make it. Lots of work to make him a competent defensive player, though.

So, given that I'm from the "I've never played the game above little league" crowd, I ask the more seasoned baseball experts on this board: how hard can it be to teach someone to play first base at a minimal level of competency? I can't imagine that this could be a multi-year project for someone who is (a) a former catcher and (b) a good enough athlete to have the hand/eye coordination to hit a baseball consistently for long distances.

I'm hoping that Clement's complete lack of defensive proficiency is more myth than fact. Remember how they used to call Ryan Doumit "No Mitt"? And yet he doesn't embarrass himself out there. Time will tell, I guess.

I played alot of 1st base in Legion Ball (16, 17, 18) and some in Softball leagues after I was out of baseball, and the #1 thing, in my opinion, is footwork at the base, keeping from tripping or making contact with the baserunner when he's running down to 1st, knowing whether to step off, or stretch out if the throws are wide, and positioning on the cutoffs, jumping for throws and knowing where the bag is, and not pulling your foot too quickly from the base when the throw is coming...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:50 pm 

I would discount the opinion of DK on this. He has not seen the guy play and has no first hand knowledge of the guy. It could all be true but it is too early to tell and his opinion has no basis other than something he has read to gotten second hand.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:07 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
I would discount the opinion of DK on this. He has not seen the guy play and has no first hand knowledge of the guy. It could all be true but it is too early to tell and his opinion has no basis other than something he has read to gotten second hand.

This is just my personal opinion, but I believe DK is having a hard time being objective about these trades. I like him, and think he is one of the greatest baseball beat writers in any city, but in this case, I sense that there would be no "fair" return for Jack and Freddy in his eyes.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:20 pm 

BBF wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:

This is just my personal opinion, but I believe DK is having a hard time being objective about these trades. I like him, and think he is one of the greatest baseball beat writers in any city, but in this case, I sense that there would be no "fair" return for Jack and Freddy in his eyes.

Yes, I've gotten the same impression. I think he's gotten a bit jaded. I felt the same way after the McLouth and Morgan trades. It's got to be tough remaining complete objective when you're travelling with these guys all the time and you get to know them.

I also agree, though, that he's still one of the best. He brings great energy to his coverage and is always on top of every story.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:23 pm 

burghermeister wrote:
BBF wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:

Yes, I've gotten the same impression. I think he's gotten a bit jaded. I felt the same way after the McLouth and Morgan trades. It's got to be tough remaining complete objective when you're travelling with these guys all the time and you get to know them.

I also agree, though, that he's still one of the best. He brings great energy to his coverage and is always on top of every story.

I got that feeling too after looking at the Post-Gazette today...His titles were like obituaries to Freddy and Jack...They didnt die, they were traded...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:33 pm 

It seems to me that all season long DK has been less than OK with any of these trades, really, and with every one that occurs his personal sentiments rise closer to the surface. He was downright snippy with someone in the chat today who was all giggly about getting Alderson for Freddy.

You know how the FBI cycles out profilers on serial killer cases every 6 months or so to prevent burn out? Maybe the PPG should start enacting a similar policy for their Pirates' beat writers.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:37 pm 

He was downright snippy with someone in the chat today who was all giggly about getting Alderson for Freddy.

He can get that way at times. Thinks way too regionally. Pittsburgh is the mecca of America in his eyes.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:40 pm 

DK may or may not be slanted on this one, but his position has some merit by all other accounts. Maybe you can't totally believe his opinion, but the opinion of an AL scout who says he can't play any position carries some weight.

As far as being able to learn it, footwork is the most critical aspect and he has a very good teacher in Perry Hill. However, some traits are not learned....just as I can play the notes on a piano, so I technically know how to play, but I am far from being a pianist, the good feilders have a sense and a feel that can't be taught.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:41 pm 

Also remember, you can find a dissenting opinion on anything or anyone at anytime.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:05 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Pittsburgh is the mecca of America in his eyes.

It isn't???

That Buffalo jealousy bubbling to the surface again... LOLOL

ZM

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:24 pm 

I would rank Pittsburgh and Buffalo as very livable. At least certain areas. Suburban Buffalo near Lake Erie or Lake Ontario are quite nice. Likewise with suburban areas of Pittsburgh. I am not enamored with the inner areas of either city to be honest. That said, you can find nice areas of just about any city in America. You can also find areas of every city that are less desirable. Mrs. AZBF is very concerned about No. 2's interest in Univ. of Miami. She just loathes Florida and is concerned about crime in Miami. On a personal note, if I lived in a cold weather city, it probably could only be for the warm weather months. I no longer feel like having my nose hairs freeze up particularly since we all know what happens with hair content as men get older. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:00 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Suburban Buffalo near Lake Erie or Lake Ontario are quite nice.

I hear Love Canal is real nice, and no neighbors for miles around!

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:02 pm 

LOLOLOL!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:42 pm 

I have also sensed an edge in DK's writing ever since the McLouth trade.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:51 pm 

Relative to the issue of this thread ... if Clement had the hands and footwork to play catcher, I would suspect that he can learn to play first base.

The only problem with that is, the first baseman needs to hit a ton to merit playing the position. 20 HR's and 30 2B's is not going to be enough. Adam had a ton more offense than that in 2007 and 2008, and was just about league average.

Clement's hitting is good for a catcher, not good - at all, unless he really turns it on - for a first baseman.