Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:47 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Good article by Ron Cook
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:16 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:06 pm
Posts: 3398
Location: Westmoreland County Pennsylvania
A good read.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09211/987385-87.stm

_________________
Image...You can observe a lot by just watching. -Yogi Berra


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Good article by Ron Cook
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:44 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:40 pm
Posts: 703
Location: Boston
Very good and seems he seems pretty balanced.

One of the things I kept thinking about yesterday is that its Neil's team now. He is right that 2 years from now, particularly by this point in the season his fate will be largely sealed.

_________________
Yinzers uber alles


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Good article by Ron Cook
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:50 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:12 am
Posts: 758
For the most part that article is close to my thoughts about the state of the Pirates.

Quote:
"I have my doubts that he'll succeed, mostly because he works for maybe the worst owner in all of sports."....
"It's hard to imagine any top free agent signing with the Pirates as long as he has an option elsewhere. It's also hard to believe owner Bob Nutting ever will agree to spend a little money on the team. He appears to have great interest in making a profit and little interest in fielding a winner."

_________________
ImageImage


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Good article by Ron Cook
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:06 am 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 4242
Location: Zelienople, PA
Meh, its Cook trying to justify his past rants. About the only thing he said worthwhile, and it was a no-brainer, is NH gets fired if he fails... Duh.

ZM

_________________
Someone tell Votto... rbis are good


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Good article by Ron Cook
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:30 am 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:43 pm
Posts: 4985
Location: Omaha, NE via Sioux City, Kansas City, and Chicago
Come on estrago, that entire article and that is what you pulled from it? Seriously? I'm glad I don't have your life. On a sunny day you'd point out that there were 2 minutes where a cloud blocked the sun.

I love how Huntington knows this is his team. He's knows that he is the captain of this ship. What happens if the ship sinks? "I lose my job." I love it!

_________________
#19 Oklahoma Sooners (5-2) at Iowa State Cyclones (2-5)
November 1, 2014
Jack Trice Stadium
Ames, IA
11:00 AM Fox Sports 1


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Good article by Ron Cook
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:39 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:22 pm
Posts: 2495
estrago wrote:
For the most part that article is close to my thoughts about the state of the Pirates.

Quote:
"I have my doubts that he'll succeed, mostly because he works for maybe the worst owner in all of sports."....
"It's hard to imagine any top free agent signing with the Pirates as long as he has an option elsewhere. It's also hard to believe owner Bob Nutting ever will agree to spend a little money on the team. He appears to have great interest in making a profit and little interest in fielding a winner."


The free agents thing is soooooo old, come on Cook, give us a break. Free agents come when teams win, not before. In this phase of the plan, NH could care less about top free agents.

Still waiting for someone to provide definitive proof that Bob Nutting is not interested in fielding a winner. Unless of course "winning" is defined as .500 ball and a $70 million payroll.


Last edited by Argentum on Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Good article by Ron Cook
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:41 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:12 am
Posts: 758
IA Pirate wrote:
Come on estrago, that entire article and that is what you pulled from it? Seriously? I'm glad I don't have your life. On a sunny day you'd point out that there were 2 minutes where a cloud blocked the sun.

I love how Huntington knows this is his team. He's knows that he is the captain of this ship. What happens if the ship sinks? "I lose my job." I love it!

I said I agree wiith most of what he said....I just pointed out the quotes that I have pretty much been saying regardless of who the GM is. And as far as the looking at the jar half full or empty, sorry but if you are objective, the Pirates are half empty. The past 17 years have been cloudy and gloomy. Just reporting the weather
:D :D

_________________
ImageImage


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Good article by Ron Cook
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:51 am 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 4242
Location: Zelienople, PA
Love the "foe" feature. I don't even need to see to know what was said.

estrago/BH has no validity here. Been proven to be a cherry picker and outright wrong, on too many occasions. Which would be alright if he stopped. I know I've been whopped a number of times.

Its the who rinse and repeat cycle that makes his posts worthless.

ZM

_________________
Someone tell Votto... rbis are good


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Good article by Ron Cook
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:57 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:12 am
Posts: 758
ZelieMike wrote:
Love the "foe" feature. I don't even need to see to know what was said.

Its the who rinse and repeat cycle that makes his posts worthless.

ZM

Kind of like the Pirates. I have known they were going to stink so why get excited and support them?
17 years of the rinse and repeat cycle :D :D

_________________
ImageImage


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Good article by Ron Cook
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:59 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:10 pm
Posts: 2172
Look, I have not crossed over to the dark side. I'm not estrago's twin brother or anything like that, but the part he highlighted from Cook's article is true. I'm glad they haven't wasted money like Littlefield and Co. did. No Burnitzes and Bells, etc. However at some point, and it's getting closer, this owner is going to have to put his money where his mouth is. And who among us can be so sure he will. The steps he has taken to show proof are baby steps. Spending a bit more on the draft, the Latin American Academy...those are nice, but nothing earth shattering. That's why Sano must be signed, regardless of dollar value. With the slash in payroll they just made with these trades there is absolutely no reason not to sign this kid. The proof of this ownership will be when the time comes to add a star through trade(like the Brewers last year with Sabathia) or free agency will he OK it. And will he pony up dollars to resign some of these good kids to keep them in Pittsburgh longer. Some of those moves are way down the road and a lot can happen between, but it is certainly fair to speculate whether this plan will ever work with a tightfisted owner like we have.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Good article by Ron Cook
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:02 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:12 am
Posts: 758
PirateParrot wrote:
Look, I have not crossed over to the dark side. I'm not estrago's twin brother or anything like that, but the part he highlighted from Cook's article is true. I'm glad they haven't wasted money like Littlefield and Co. did. No Burnitzes and Bells, etc. However at some point, and it's getting closer, this owner is going to have to put his money where his mouth is. And who among us can be so sure he will. The steps he has taken to show proof are baby steps. Spending a bit more on the draft, the Latin American Academy...those are nice, but nothing earth shattering. That's why Sano must be signed, regardless of dollar value. With the slash in payroll they just made with these trades there is absolutely no reason not to sign this kid. The proof of this ownership will be when the time comes to add a star through trade(like the Brewers last year with Sabathia) or free agency will he OK it. And will he pony up dollars to resign some of these good kids to keep them in Pittsburgh longer. Some of those moves are way down the road and a lot can happen between, but it is certainly fair to speculate whether this plan will ever work with a tightfisted owner like we have.


How dare you ruin the joy and happiness of being a Pirate fan? :D :D

_________________
ImageImage


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits