Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: McLouth leads off....
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:39 am 

Mayor Mystery wrote:
Obviously I was wrong -- hell I'm glad to be wrong. (Not everyone on this board is afraid to admit when they're wrong, that's reserved for we all know who and his disciple).

Exactly. I thought I was wrong once.

Turns out, I was wrong.

So, I was wrong about being wrong.

Bucfan on his imperial throne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:44 am 

LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:
Perhaps if you refrain from dismissing some of this board's more knowledgeable posters as people lacking "any sense of credibility," a couple things might take of themselves....

Sisy is very knowledgeable but quite simply misunderstood. I believe that it has a lot to do with the keyboard he is using:

:)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:01 pm 

Mayor Mystery wrote:
BBF wrote:
Mayor Mystery wrote:
Why does it have to be so adversarial with this topic? I always thought McClouth was a decent player, but I admit I wanted Morgan to win the job heading into this season.

Obviously I was wrong -- hell I'm glad to be wrong. (Not everyone on this board is afraid to admit when they're wrong, that's reserved for we all know who).

But they're not mutually exclusive. I still think, if given the chance to play everyday, Morgan could be a quality major league player. Better than McClouth? Probably not. If this is the real McClouth then Morgan deserves to be on the bench.

But it's a good problem to have. OF is the one position where the Pirates actually seem to have some depth.

This is precisely why Sisy wanted to go back to the old board and dig up posts. Your line of "I always thought McClouth was a decent player" is a flat out lie. I just can't prove it anymore. You flat out said that McClouth is a 4th outfielder and probably wouldn't even be that on a good team.

No one is attacking you for being wrong. But we had to suffer through multiple pages of posts arguing McClouth's value...you don't expect to have to eat a little crow?

I totally thought McClouth would be a 4th outfielder. I thought he was an ideal 4th guy, pinch hitter, etc. I admit -- AGAIN -- that I didn't see him as an every day player. I trumpeted Morgan no doubt, but I wasn't a McClouth hater. I never said he wouldn't be on a good team. That is the flat out lie.

Others slammed McClouth. Elmer slammed him, not me. Here's where you accuse me and Elmer of conspiring again because we work together, are friends outside of the board and use the same computers, etc. However I distinctly remember posting against the idiotic posts of Elmer saying that McClouth "sucked". If you would be in our office, you'd hear me and him go back and forth pretty often about baseball.

I remember thinking that this McClouth-Morgan argument was at two ridiculous extremes ... one camp, the Elmer camp, thought McClouth sucked and Morgan was awesome and another camp, your camp, though Morgan sucked and McClouth was awesome. I didn't see it as either player "sucks." I took the stance that I thought Morgan was a better player and should start and McClouth was a good bench guy. Period. I did not trash McClouth .... trumpeting Morgan DOES NOT equal trashing McClouth.

Get your facts straight dude.

I don't mind eating a little crow, but not form a guy who lacks any semblance of credibility (sisy, not you). Your criticism is welcome.

Elmer gets tossed under the bus... need a picture here

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:11 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:
Elmer gets tossed under the bus... need a picture here

Beating Bucfan to the punch:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:17 pm 

Mayor Mystery wrote:
I don't mind eating a little crow, but not form a guy who lacks any semblance of credibility (sisy, not you). Your criticism is welcome.

Perhaps if you refrain from dismissing some of this board's more knowledgeable posters as people lacking "any sense of credibility," a couple things might take of themselves, such as:

a) the adversarial tone of the discourse;
b) not recognizing last August that Nate McLouth is manifestly not a 4th outfielder, and that Nyjer Morgan manifestly is (at best).

You saw more in McClouth than I did LtCol Kojak. I was wrong about him for sure. What more do you want me tos ay?

I'm not dissing the knowledgeable posters. I'm dissing the know it alls who never admit when they're wrong, ever.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:36 pm 

Mayor Mystery wrote:
Mayor Mystery wrote:

Perhaps if you refrain from dismissing some of this board's more knowledgeable posters as people lacking "any sense of credibility," a couple things might take of themselves, such as:

a) the adversarial tone of the discourse;
b) not recognizing last August that Nate McLouth is manifestly not a 4th outfielder, and that Nyjer Morgan manifestly is (at best).

You saw more in McClouth than I did LtCol Kojak. I was wrong about him for sure. What more do you want me tos ay?

I'm not dissing the knowledgeable posters. I'm dissing the know it alls who never admit when they're wrong, ever.

Then clearly you and other members of the board have a difference of opinion as to who are "knowledgeable posters" and who are "know it alls who never admit when they're wrong, ever."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:14 pm 

Omar Moreno Fan wrote:
With Nate doing so well, that is leaving few ABs for Morgan. In this circumstance, would it be better to have him playing every day in Indy and bringing up Thompson short term?

I think so, but I doubt that Morgan will show much improvement. He's 27 years old.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:21 pm 

Mayor Mystery wrote:
Why does it have to be so adversarial with this topic? I always thought McClouth was a decent player, but I admit I wanted Morgan to win the job heading into this season.

Obviously I was wrong -- hell I'm glad to be wrong. (Not everyone on this board is afraid to admit when they're wrong, that's reserved for we all know who and his disciple).

But they're not mutually exclusive. I still think, if given the chance to play everyday, Morgan could be a quality major league player. Better than McClouth? Probably not. If this is the real McClouth then Morgan deserves to be on the bench.

But it's a good problem to have. OF is the one position where the Pirates actually seem to have some depth.

The Pirates have NO depth in the outfield at the major league level, as Morgan cannot hit.

If McLouth's OPS was .750 Morgan would still deserve to be on the bench, as he can't put up a .750 OPS with his total absence of power. He failed to reach that mark in most of his minor league seasons, so I don't understand how you can believe he's capable of hitting better than that as a major leaguer. Morgan is over his head as a fourth outfielder.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:23 pm 

Mayor Mystery wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
Bertie wrote:
... with another homer!!!

:shock:

I know that it's still very early in the season, but I'm thinking that one of the saddest things about the site being hacked is the fact that I can't go back and dig out all the posts screaming for Nyjer Morgan to be the starting center fielder.

That shows that you're more spiteful than a fan. Why not just be happy with how McClouth is playing instead of being consumed with proving how right you were? And what makes me chuckle is the idea that you would be pointing out how right you were as if you've never been wrong on this board.

What makes me chuckle is that you continue to insist that Morgan can still be a quality major leaguer in the face of the mountain of evidence to the contrary.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:25 pm 

Mayor Mystery wrote:
BBF wrote:
Mayor Mystery wrote:

Obviously I was wrong -- hell I'm glad to be wrong. (Not everyone on this board is afraid to admit when they're wrong, that's reserved for we all know who).

This is precisely why Sisy wanted to go back to the old board and dig up posts. Your line of "I always thought McClouth was a decent player" is a flat out lie. I just can't prove it anymore. You flat out said that McClouth is a 4th outfielder and probably wouldn't even be that on a good team.

No one is attacking you for being wrong. But we had to suffer through multiple pages of posts arguing McClouth's value...you don't expect to have to eat a little crow?

I totally thought McClouth would be a 4th outfielder. I thought he was an ideal 4th guy, pinch hitter, etc. I admit -- AGAIN -- that I didn't see him as an every day player. I trumpeted Morgan no doubt, but I wasn't a McClouth hater. I never said he wouldn't be on a good team. That is the flat out lie.

Others slammed McClouth. Elmer slammed him, not me. Here's where you accuse me and Elmer of conspiring again because we work together, are friends outside of the board and use the same computers, etc. However I distinctly remember posting against the idiotic posts of Elmer saying that McClouth "sucked". If you would be in our office, you'd hear me and him go back and forth pretty often about baseball.

I remember thinking that this McClouth-Morgan argument was at two ridiculous extremes ... one camp, the Elmer camp, thought McClouth sucked and Morgan was awesome and another camp, your camp, though Morgan sucked and McClouth was awesome. I didn't see it as either player "sucks." I took the stance that I thought Morgan was a better player and should start and McClouth was a good bench guy. Period. I did not trash McClouth .... trumpeting Morgan DOES NOT equal trashing McClouth.

Get your facts straight dude.

So the guy who was right has no credibility. LOL.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:27 pm 

A discussion on a point should not revolve about who is right and who is wrong. Express your opinion, but respect the other guys. We all think that we are right, the point about debate is to the ability to elucidate reasons to back up your point of view.
Those who write such drivel as *** sucks should, to my mind, be banished to the cesspool of ignorance from which they emerged. They hardly qualify as sentient beings.

On a different point, I will iterate a gripe that I made on the old board. Please do not take up vast spaces of message space by mindlessly pressing the quote button. If you wish to refer to some specific that might not otherwise be clear, then edit the text within the quote.

Thank you and Good Night.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:34 pm 

Sorry Bertie,
I am guilty of the "mindless quote push." I will be sure to keep it down.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:24 pm 

Bertie wrote:
A discussion on a point should not revolve about who is right and who is wrong. Express your opinion, but respect the other guys. We all think that we are right, the point about debate is to the ability to elucidate reasons to back up your point of view.
Those who write such drivel as *** sucks should, to my mind, be banished to the cesspool of ignorance from which they emerged. They hardly qualify as sentient beings.

On a different point, I will iterate a gripe that I made on the old board. Please do not take up vast spaces of message space by mindlessly pressing the quote button. If you wish to refer to some specific that might not otherwise be clear, then edit the text within the quote.

Thank you and Good Night/

Yeah.

Guys who press that stupid "quote" button, without editing the text, suck.

Oops.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:51 pm 
Way to jab me when I'm not here YOU CLOWNS.

I did say McClouth sucked and wouldn't be on a good team. You think I'm going to take that back? One month does not a season make. Give it time. He'll be average by the end of the year.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:07 pm 

Elmer wrote:
One month does not a season make.

Funny. One month was more than enough for you to anoint Nyjer Morgan the second coming of Willie Mays.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:12 pm 

Elmer wrote:

Funny. One month was more than enough for you to anoint Nyjer Morgan the second coming of Willie Mays.

Wrong Willie, I believe that he meant this one:

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:57 pm 

Elmer wrote:
Way to jab me when I'm not here YOU CLOWNS.

I did say McClouth sucked and wouldn't be on a good team. You think I'm going to take that back? One month does not a season make. Give it time. He'll be average by the end of the year.

Speaking of know-it-alls-who-won't-admit-when-they-are-wrong....

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:57 pm 
Elmer wrote:

I don't believe I ever made that comparison.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:11 pm 

Elmer wrote:
Elmer wrote:

I don't believe I ever made that comparison.

I couldn't really believe it when you did it either.

It's called hyperbole, Elmo. Look it up.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:15 pm 
I couldn't really believe it when you did it either.
It's called hyperbole, Elmo. Look it up.

It's called accuracy, SlapJack. Look it up.