Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: McLouth leads off....
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:20 pm
Posts: 517
Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
... with another homer!!!

:shock:

_________________
Conversation should be pleasant without scurrility, witty without affectation, free without indecency, learned without conceitedness, novel without falsehood. - William Shakespeare


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: McLouth leads off....
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:56 pm
Posts: 58
Location: Rillton, PA
i knew i had a man crush on him for a reason :oops:

_________________
________________________
love 'em or hate 'em lets go bucs!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: McLouth leads off....
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7262
Hes on my team in the Board's Fantasy League!!!

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: McLouth leads off....
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:56 pm
Posts: 58
Location: Rillton, PA
i am on an espn fantasy league i have both mclouth and nady, suprisingly enough drafted before the season started and they came out firing. i am just going to assume i had something to do with it ;) . (then again i picked snell and gorzo too and that hasnt exactly panned out)

_________________
________________________
love 'em or hate 'em lets go bucs!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: McLouth leads off....
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7262
I believe Nate was my 1st roster move since I picked up Jarrod Saltalamacchia and he was sent to AAA a few days after the draft...

I tend to shy away from Pirate pitching due to the fact there isnt a good probability in them getting many wins

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: McLouth leads off....
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:56 pm
Posts: 58
Location: Rillton, PA
ya i just cant help myself from picking pirates. but i am 3rd overall and second in my division, so its not hurting too bad.

_________________
________________________
love 'em or hate 'em lets go bucs!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: McLouth leads off....
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:46 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:41 pm
Posts: 1
jleisele58 wrote:
ya i just cant help myself from picking pirates. but i am 3rd overall and second in my division, so its not hurting too bad.


I do the same thing every year. This year I have Snell and Freddy.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: McLouth leads off....
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:24 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5260
Location: Pittsburgh
Bertie wrote:
... with another homer!!!

:shock:


I know that it's still very early in the season, but I'm thinking that one of the saddest things about the site being hacked is the fact that I can't go back and dig out all the posts screaming for Nyjer Morgan to be the starting center fielder.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: McLouth leads off....
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:02 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:36 pm
Posts: 42
nad69dan - I did the same thing, only b/c Granderson started off the year on the DL. Man I am happy I did that.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: McLouth leads off....
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:33 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:54 pm
Posts: 941
sisyphus wrote:
Bertie wrote:
... with another homer!!!

:shock:


I know that it's still very early in the season, but I'm thinking that one of the saddest things about the site being hacked is the fact that I can't go back and dig out all the posts screaming for Nyjer Morgan to be the starting center fielder.

I know. Nyjer Nation has been awfully quiet of late.

_________________
I woke up with a clown's hand in my pants. That's what I did today.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: McLouth leads off....
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:40 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5260
Location: Pittsburgh
LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
Bertie wrote:
... with another homer!!!

:shock:


I know that it's still very early in the season, but I'm thinking that one of the saddest things about the site being hacked is the fact that I can't go back and dig out all the posts screaming for Nyjer Morgan to be the starting center fielder.

I know. Nyjer Nation has been awfully quiet of late.


Get used to it. Most fifth outfielders tend to be awfully quiet.

But you can look forward to the dubious pleasure of seeing Morgan run out there every day after Bay and Nady are dealt.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: McLouth leads off....
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:36 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:36 pm
Posts: 42
With Nate doing so well, that is leaving few ABs for Morgan. In this circumstance, would it be better to have him playing every day in Indy and bringing up Thompson short term?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: McLouth leads off....
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:44 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
Omar Moreno Fan wrote:
With Nate doing so well, that is leaving few ABs for Morgan. In this circumstance, would it be better to have him playing every day in Indy and bringing up Thompson short term?



If you were of the belief that Morgan had potential to be a starting player in the big leagues, then yes, that would probably be the smart thing to do. But if you are of the opinion that bench player/5th outfielder is his ceiling, as I do and as the Pirates apparently do (and, truth be told, nearly everyone who has watched him play), then what "development" are you preventing? He is in the role that he will probably be in for the rest of his career.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: McLouth leads off....
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:04 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:22 pm
Posts: 2495
BBF wrote:
Omar Moreno Fan wrote:
With Nate doing so well, that is leaving few ABs for Morgan. In this circumstance, would it be better to have him playing every day in Indy and bringing up Thompson short term?



If you were of the belief that Morgan had potential to be a starting player in the big leagues, then yes, that would probably be the smart thing to do. But if you are of the opinion that bench player/5th outfielder is his ceiling, as I do and as the Pirates apparently do (and, truth be told, nearly everyone who has watched him play), then what "development" are you preventing? He is in the role that he will probably be in for the rest of his career.


Willie Mays Hayes: Don't you guys go anywhere. I plan to put on a hitting display.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: McLouth leads off....
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:10 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:40 am
Posts: 94
Why does it have to be so adversarial with this topic? I always thought McClouth was a decent player, but I admit I wanted Morgan to win the job heading into this season.

Obviously I was wrong -- hell I'm glad to be wrong. (Not everyone on this board is afraid to admit when they're wrong, that's reserved for we all know who and his disciple).

But they're not mutually exclusive. I still think, if given the chance to play everyday, Morgan could be a quality major league player. Better than McClouth? Probably not. If this is the real McClouth then Morgan deserves to be on the bench.

But it's a good problem to have. OF is the one position where the Pirates actually seem to have some depth.


Last edited by Mayor Mystery on Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 
 Post subject: Re: McLouth leads off....
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:15 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:40 am
Posts: 94
sisyphus wrote:
Bertie wrote:
... with another homer!!!

:shock:


I know that it's still very early in the season, but I'm thinking that one of the saddest things about the site being hacked is the fact that I can't go back and dig out all the posts screaming for Nyjer Morgan to be the starting center fielder.


That shows that you're more spiteful than a fan. Why not just be happy with how McClouth is playing instead of being consumed with proving how right you were? And what makes me chuckle is the idea that you would be pointing out how right you were as if you've never been wrong on this board.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: McLouth leads off....
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:17 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
Mayor Mystery wrote:
Why does it have to be so adversarial with this topic? I always thought McClouth was a decent player, but I admit I wanted Morgan to win the job heading into this season.

Obviously I was wrong -- hell I'm glad to be wrong. (Not everyone on this board is afraid to admit when they're wrong, that's reserved for we all know who).

But they're not mutually exclusive. I still think, if given the chance to play everyday, Morgan could be a quality major league player. Better than McClouth? Probably not. If this is the real McClouth then Morgan deserves to be on the bench.

But it's a good problem to have. OF is the one position where the Pirates actually seem to have some depth.


This is precisely why Sisy wanted to go back to the old board and dig up posts. Your line of "I always thought McClouth was a decent player" is a flat out lie. I just can't prove it anymore. You flat out said that McClouth is a 4th outfielder and probably wouldn't even be that on a good team.

No one is attacking you for being wrong. But we had to suffer through multiple pages of posts arguing McClouth's value...you don't expect to have to eat a little crow?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: McLouth leads off....
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:29 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:40 am
Posts: 94
BBF wrote:
Mayor Mystery wrote:
Why does it have to be so adversarial with this topic? I always thought McClouth was a decent player, but I admit I wanted Morgan to win the job heading into this season.

Obviously I was wrong -- hell I'm glad to be wrong. (Not everyone on this board is afraid to admit when they're wrong, that's reserved for we all know who).

But they're not mutually exclusive. I still think, if given the chance to play everyday, Morgan could be a quality major league player. Better than McClouth? Probably not. If this is the real McClouth then Morgan deserves to be on the bench.

But it's a good problem to have. OF is the one position where the Pirates actually seem to have some depth.


This is precisely why Sisy wanted to go back to the old board and dig up posts. Your line of "I always thought McClouth was a decent player" is a flat out lie. I just can't prove it anymore. You flat out said that McClouth is a 4th outfielder and probably wouldn't even be that on a good team.

No one is attacking you for being wrong. But we had to suffer through multiple pages of posts arguing McClouth's value...you don't expect to have to eat a little crow?


I totally thought McClouth would be a 4th outfielder. I thought he was an ideal 4th guy, pinch hitter, etc. I admit -- AGAIN -- that I didn't see him as an every day player. I trumpeted Morgan no doubt, but I wasn't a McClouth hater. I never said he wouldn't be on a good team. That is the flat out lie.

Others slammed McClouth. Elmer slammed him, not me. Here's where you accuse me and Elmer of conspiring again because we work together, are friends outside of the board and use the same computers, etc. However I distinctly remember posting against the idiotic posts of Elmer saying that McClouth "sucked". If you would be in our office, you'd hear me and him go back and forth pretty often about baseball.

I remember thinking that this McClouth-Morgan argument was at two ridiculous extremes ... one camp, the Elmer camp, thought McClouth sucked and Morgan was awesome and another camp, your camp, though Morgan sucked and McClouth was awesome. I didn't see it as either player "sucks." I took the stance that I thought Morgan was a better player and should start and McClouth was a good bench guy. Period. I did not trash McClouth .... trumpeting Morgan DOES NOT equal trashing McClouth.

Get your facts straight dude.

I don't mind eating a little crow, but not form a guy who lacks any semblance of credibility (sisy, not you). Your criticism is welcome.


Last edited by Mayor Mystery on Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 
 Post subject: Re: McLouth leads off....
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:48 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:20 pm
Posts: 517
Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Tone it down please guys.

_________________
Conversation should be pleasant without scurrility, witty without affectation, free without indecency, learned without conceitedness, novel without falsehood. - William Shakespeare


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: McLouth leads off....
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:32 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:54 pm
Posts: 941
Mayor Mystery wrote:
I don't mind eating a little crow, but not form a guy who lacks any semblance of credibility (sisy, not you). Your criticism is welcome.

Perhaps if you refrain from dismissing some of this board's more knowledgeable posters as people lacking "any sense of credibility," a couple things might take care of themselves, such as:

a) the adversarial tone of the discourse;
b) not recognizing last August that Nate McLouth is manifestly not a 4th outfielder, and that Nyjer Morgan manifestly is (at best).

_________________
I woke up with a clown's hand in my pants. That's what I did today.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.


Last edited by LtCol Kojak Slaphead on Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits