Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: So our lineup in a couple weeks...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:48 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:07 pm
Posts: 2591
..could be:

McCutchen
Young
Milledge
Jones
Doumit
Clement
LaRoche
Cedeno.

Couldn't score much less than a lineup including Nate, Adam, Freddy, and Jack. They'll lose, what, maybe 3 or 4 games the rest of the year more than they would have? I'll pay that price for the crap load of prospects we landed. In two short years, we've gone from the worst farm system to what has to be in the top 5.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: So our lineup in a couple weeks...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:50 am 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:43 pm
Posts: 5003
Location: Omaha, NE via Sioux City, Kansas City, and Chicago
I'd say only the bottom two are way below average, in my opinion. I'm just not sold on LaRoche as a 3rd basemen. I know Cedeno can field but I'm not sure he can hit any better than Cruz or Vasquez.

_________________
Texas Tech Red Raiders (3-6) at Iowa State Cyclones (2-7)
Jack Trice Stadium
November 22, 2014 11:00 AM
Fox Sports 1


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: So our lineup in a couple weeks...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:53 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
Not that I think ANYONE in this organization is blocked, but does the acquisition of Clement suggest that Pedro Alvarez stays at 3rd?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: So our lineup in a couple weeks...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:56 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:07 pm
Posts: 2591
That, and the fact that Walker is struggling, and LaRoche isn't displaying corner infielder power.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: So our lineup in a couple weeks...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:56 am 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:43 pm
Posts: 5003
Location: Omaha, NE via Sioux City, Kansas City, and Chicago
BBF wrote:
Not that I think ANYONE in this organization is blocked, but does the acquisition of Clement suggest that Pedro Alvarez stays at 3rd?


I thought the exact same. Neil Walker has to be getting real nervous. He is about to be pinched out.

_________________
Texas Tech Red Raiders (3-6) at Iowa State Cyclones (2-7)
Jack Trice Stadium
November 22, 2014 11:00 AM
Fox Sports 1


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: So our lineup in a couple weeks...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:02 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
I think Neil has effectively been pinched out already, mainly by not hitting the damn ball.

Honestly, if I'm the Pirates, I get him some reps at 2nd and in the OF, see if he can make it as a utility bat. He does have a bit of power, which can be useful off the bench, but I have my doubts whether he will ever hit for a high enough average to be a regular. And yes, I know he is the youngest guy at Indy.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: So our lineup in a couple weeks...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:03 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:28 am
Posts: 632
Competition is a beautiful thing. Walker should be begging to move around the infield and some outfield. The writing is on the wall that his future is as a utility guy or a super sub. He already knows how to play 2 positions. He could be a utility guy from Pittsburgh, it's not like no one has ever parlayed that into a 20 year career with this organization....


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: So our lineup in a couple weeks...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:05 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
JimY wrote:
Walker should be begging to move around the infield and some outfield. The writing is on the wall that his future is as a utility guy or a super sub. He already knows how to play 2 positions. He could be a utility guy from Pittsburgh,


Great idea. ;)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: So our lineup in a couple weeks...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:15 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 6292
I have to agree.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: So our lineup in a couple weeks...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:38 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5677
doug frobel wrote:
..could be:

McCutchen
Young
Milledge
Jones
Doumit
Clement
LaRoche
Cedeno.


When might Milledge get the call up? From everything I've been reading the organization is trying to take their time w/ him.

Personally, I'm not keen on the idea of playing either Doumit or Clement behind the plate, due to injuries, but one of them would HAVE to be in the lineup (I'm leaning toward Doumit, since Clement was sent to AAA) for the sake of offense.

Don't like Cedeno at short (on offense), but WAY better than Vasquez or Bixler...

If Burgh can somehow turn either (or both) Capps and Grabow into Eric Young Jr. or another IF prospect, I think they're a shoo-in for 2B/SS.

I'm crossing my fingers!

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: So our lineup in a couple weeks...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:56 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:06 pm
Posts: 3408
Location: Westmoreland County Pennsylvania
How about this for a future lineup in no particular order:

A. McCutchen CF
D. Young 2B
L. Milledge LF
G. Jones RF
R. Doumit C
P. Alvarez 3B
J. Clement 1B
R. Cedeno SS

Staring Rotation:

Charlie Morton
Tim Alderson
Ross Ohlendorf
Zach Duke
Brad Lincoln

_________________
Image...You can observe a lot by just watching. -Yogi Berra


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: So our lineup in a couple weeks...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:17 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:44 am
Posts: 88
NSMaster56 wrote:
When might Milledge get the call up? From everything I've been reading the organization is trying to take their time w/ him.

He got called up yesterday and will be in the lineup today.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: So our lineup in a couple weeks...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:44 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:07 pm
Posts: 2591
Doesn't look like Clement will be up any time soon.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09211/987469-63.stm

Nice info on the big haul from yesterday.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: So our lineup in a couple weeks...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:27 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:44 am
Posts: 88
Rotten_Scoundrel wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:
When might Milledge get the call up? From everything I've been reading the organization is trying to take their time w/ him.

He got called up yesterday and will be in the lineup Friday.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: So our lineup in a couple weeks...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5516
Location: Pittsburgh
JimY wrote:
Competition is a beautiful thing. Walker should be begging to move around the infield and some outfield. The writing is on the wall that his future is as a utility guy or a super sub. He already knows how to play 2 positions. He could be a utility guy from Pittsburgh, it's not like no one has ever parlayed that into a 20 year career with this organization....

If he doesn't start hitting, his future is as a utility guy for a series of AAA teams.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: So our lineup in a couple weeks...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:10 am
Posts: 1330
sisyphus wrote:
JimY wrote:
Competition is a beautiful thing. Walker should be begging to move around the infield and some outfield. The writing is on the wall that his future is as a utility guy or a super sub. He already knows how to play 2 positions. He could be a utility guy from Pittsburgh, it's not like no one has ever parlayed that into a 20 year career with this organization....

If he doesn't start hitting, his future is as a utility guy for a series of AAA teams.


He must have read this. 3 for 5 with 2 HRs tonight.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: So our lineup in a couple weeks...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:26 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5677
Rotten_Scoundrel wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:
When might Milledge get the call up? From everything I've been reading the organization is trying to take their time w/ him.

He got called up yesterday and will be in the lineup today.


I guess the future starts today...

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: So our lineup in a couple weeks...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:35 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10741
burghermeister wrote:
He must have read this. 3 for 5 with 2 HRs tonight.

I noticed that too, burgher. Also, Daniel McCutchen went 7 innings, giving up just 3 hits, 1 walk, and 0 runs to improve his record to 10-6 for the year, with a 3.78 ERA. Cutch 2 is second in the IL in wins, 13th in the league in WHIP. He has walked just 25 in 109.2 innings, or an average of just 2.05 walks per 9 innings. His K to walk ratio is more than 3 to 1.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: So our lineup in a couple weeks...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:02 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:10 am
Posts: 1330
Bucfan wrote:
burghermeister wrote:
He must have read this. 3 for 5 with 2 HRs tonight.

I noticed that too, burgher. Also, Daniel McCutchen went 7 innings, giving up just 3 hits, 1 walk, and 0 runs to improve his record to 10-6 for the year, with a 3.78 ERA. Cutch 2 is second in the IL in wins, 13th in the league in WHIP. He has walked just 25 in 109.2 innings, or an average of just 2.05 walks per 9 innings. His K to walk ratio is more than 3 to 1.

Saw that. Also, 7 innings of shutout ball for Young Quentin Miller in WV.

I'm still rooting for Walker to figure things out. It would be a great story and generate some fan interest if he make's the big club. Even though his numbers are not great, the power is still intriguing. Plus, apparently, he plays a very solid 3rd base. I think they should start giving him some reps at 2nd to prepare him for a future role as a utility player.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits