Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:40 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: For better or worse: NH owns it now
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:35 pm 

There is no going back now. After today the success or failure will belong to Neil. DLs players are almost all gone or buried, and the next wave of Pirate players is largely in the minors (or will be after the draft signing period). Missing pieces will be added as needed by either trading where we have excess of type B free agents.

I think this is a really critical point toward ending the streak. There isn't much left to trade and won't be next year either (except SPs) so next year won't be the same.

I don't know if it will work (but am optimistic) however I think you have to give NH credit for having the 'guts' to do this. His future in baseball is directly linked to the success of this plan over the next 2-3 years. If it fails, he's done if it succeeds he'll be the man "who saved baseball in Pittsburgh".

Post subject: Re: For better or worse: NH owns it now
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:43 pm 

Good on him. The best way to implement YOUR plan is to clear the slate and start fresh. Sure, it's gonna suck to watch another couple years of losing (especially after 17 straight) but for the long term health and development of this organization it was the right thing to do.

I wish the naysayers would just disappear (yes...Steve1118 and Estrago this is directed towards you). We get your point, now go spread the word...away from here! If in 2011, we are still in 6th in the Central with no hope, come back, say "I told you so" and I will humbly eat crow. Until then, there is nothing you can do to prove your point and we won't have the evidence to support ours. So instead of torturing us with a couple more years of your incessant rant about how Nutting is the source of all evil and that he would sell his own mother if it meant a higher profit...just go away. BYE!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:47 pm 

Chris Anderson wrote:
Good on him. The best way to implement YOUR plan is to clear the slate and start fresh. We get your point, now go spread the word...away from here! If in 2011, we are still in 6th in the Central with no hope, come back, say "I told you so" and I will humbly eat crow.

I agree with the above. I think it's the right plan too. You're right.

BTW - right now the RedSox announcer Joe Castiglione is ripping the pirates again. He does this with every trade.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:50 pm 

Most, if not all, of these announcers are very present minded and not able to see the whole picture. I remember guys on WFAN crowing about acquiring Nady and Marte from the Bucs last year, now where are Nady and Marte? And, the Bucs have a good starting pitcher (Ross O.), a decent reliever (Jeff Karstens) and a young guy (Tabata) in the minors with a good upside. Of course, one doesn't hear anything on WFAN about how the Yankees got shafted by the Bucs in this trade!! I really don't pay much attention to what any of these knuckleheads say!