Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Moss Looks Terrible
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:05 pm 

Moss just seems to look terrible every at bat. He always is chasing bad pitches and striking out. When he does make contact it is very weak. Really how much longer are they going to throw him out there before they decide if he is worth keeping in the starting lineup?? He is an ok glove in the outfield and a great arm, but his bat is terrible.

Post subject: Re: Moss Looks Terrible
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:26 pm 

I would say it's safe to say that Moss is definitely nothing more than a stop gap for the rest of the year. Keep the position warm for Jones or Milledge.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:29 pm 

I totally agree Ryann. His pitch recognition is just zero. I just don't think this guy will ever hit for power like some people think. He just can't get the bat on the ball consistently enough to ever hit for power. He has never shown much power in the minors other than plenty of doubles. There's just no reason to think he will ever succeed at this level. He never really hit more than .280 in the minors which doesn't translate well to this level. He isn't that young and I think he is already a finished product. We had some hopes for this guy, but the more I look, the more lack of talent and skills I see. I don't mind giving the guy a shot, but it is indeed painful to watch him.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:02 pm 

Then why not throw Milledge out there in place of him?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:21 pm 

Definitely too many guys breathing down his back. Jones is already here, Millidge, Tabata, Hernandez, even Clement will take on the 1B duties, which keeps Jones in the OF. Moss is toast, and he has played to that level all year. He does look awful right now for sure. It is one of the things making the Bay trade look worse and worse, which in my opinion is the only poor trade Huntington has made.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:46 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
Definitely too many guys breathing down his back. Jones is already here, Millidge, Tabata, Hernandez, even Clement will take on the 1B duties, which keeps Jones in the OF. Moss is toast, and he has played to that level all year. He does look awful right now for sure. It is one of the things making the Bay trade look worse and worse, which in my opinion is the only poor trade Huntington has made.

I totally agree with you and have also been saying the same thing. By far the worst trade NH has made. The other ones appear to be good but haven't had enough time to see. I think the only one we are still waiting on seeing being a good move or not is the Mclouth deal.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:15 am 

Ryann wrote:
Moss just seems to look terrible every at bat. He always is chasing bad pitches and striking out. When he does make contact it is very weak. Really how much longer are they going to throw him out there before they decide if he is worth keeping in the starting lineup?? He is an ok glove in the outfield and a great arm, but his bat is terrible.

You seem surprised by the latest HIGH UPSIDE version of Moss.
Let's see, since the all star break , how many HR's , Rbi's or even hit's has he gotten?.
Add all those numbers together, and i am sure his K total would still be higher.
Pearce is another one.
You think he is going to be in the starting lineup for the next 7 straight games?, hopefully he is not.
The team has options, to totally erase these 2 from making the same old idiotic offensive approaches, they both have shown.
I imagine this Jeff Clement is going to be playing 1st in the minors. He has 1 solid week at AAA , and another usual week for Pierce, is where this sad experiment with Pearce should finally end, mercifully .

Hopefully the team dumps Pearce and Moss in the offseason, when they can sneak them into a package deal, along with Capps for pretty much anything that can hit, catch or throw a baseball.
Where's the accountability with this coaching staff? How can a team just go in the tank so fast , and for so long?. IS Don Long stil a genius?
If you are the hitting coach, and your hitters can't drive a freaking ball over someone's head, you gotta be called out on this one. The offensive approach and results, team wide over the last 5 games or so, is just plain old pitiful. Time to get someone to work with these KIDS, apparently Small Market Donny , can only help people who have had good success(see, Jason Bay).
He has done such a mind boggling job helping turn Andy Laroche into the righty version of Moss and/or Pearce. Good to see you are helping Cutch work on those adjustments teams are making against him, since his red hot start.
Isn't that what a Hitting coaches priority is?, helping his hitters make adjustments?.
Good job, Donny!!!!!!!!!!!
I just hope Russell would pull a Leyland and just resign. But i imagine he is probably one of the top 5 payroll guys right now.
How many managers in the majors have a salary greater than say 80 percent of the team he manages.
I don't know what SMJ's salary is, but it has to be more than the major league minimum, doesn't it??.
But he is a puppet, and a terrible baseball manager.
Check it out, SMJ is NO.1.
Andy Van Slyke, next Pirate manager.
Worst case sceario, the team is still bad, but they would have a manager who is not afraid to show some fire, and quit sugarcoating the ugliness.
I think it's time for SMJ to start going to the press to voice his displeasure.
This team needs an enema, along with certain posters of this mighty board.
The team used to have a SUNDAY lineup, but for now, the Pirates have one of those every game.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:34 am 

Lastings getting the call up Friday. Our savior is coming.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:19 am 

I cannot wait for Lastings.
I want Clement in the majors playing first right away. I do not like Pearce's plate approach.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:21 am 

If I were Moss or Pearce I would not be looking to buying a house in Pittsburgh next year.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:21 am 
 WWW  Profile

Ryann wrote:
I cannot wait for Lastings.
I want Clement in the majors playing first right away. I do not like Pearce's plate approach.

I agree. I'm not sure Pearce is anything more than John Wehner (without the slurred speech).

#7 Baylor Bears (3-0) at Iowa State Cyclones (1-2)
Jack Trice Stadium
September 27, 2014
7:00 PM CST
FOX

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:55 am 

PirateParrot wrote:

Bard/ Delcarmen/ Bucholz/ Masterson,(1 of the 3),
John Van EVEry
Blake De Witt
Morris.
Now, that would have been a real good trade for the Pirates if that could have been the return for Bay.
Much, much better than how this one turned out, and i am sure these guys could have been substituted in there , with some good persuading on NH's part.
I do agree, by far, the Bay trade was the worst deal the Huntington regime has made, to date.
The only player that can be a factor in a soon to be championship team is Morris.
La Roche is now officially LOST, and i wouldn't be surprised if his season BA finishes around 10 points lower than it sits at now. He might have a few long balls left, but with his swing, i seriously doubt if he can reach 10.
He will probably lead the team in RBI's, which will be a pitiful total, whatever it ends up being.
Hansen, never mind. I would be stunned if he ever pitches another game for this team.
There is no way this guy should be protected from being a rule 5 giveaway.
Moss, proably will squeeze out 10 (no more than 12) homers, maybe 50 rbi's, and a k to ab ratio that hovers around 30 to 40 %
He is not going to get alot of Ab's , when LM gets the call, so his infrequent ab's will only make that percentage skyrocket.
Another candidate for being included in the rule 5 club, but for some ignorant reason, he won't be.

There is a glimmer of hope though. Moss is streaky, , he can get on a roll, and start making his outs via that hard hit 1 hopper to first. Not likely, though, he is as good a whiffer, if i have ever seen one.
I am sure he has a poster of Rob Deer and Gorman Thomas hanging over his bed.