Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Much Ado About Nutting
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:19 pm 

Those of you who think Bob Nutting is new and that he and or his family have not had an influence on how this team has been run for most of the record breaking losing need to read this. As I have stated here McClatchy needs to take his share of the blame, but he was more of a front man and answered to the quiet men.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05275/581175-63.stm

This guys quote sums it up

Quote:
"You know Donald Sterling of the L.A. Clippers?" asked Sam Amico, the publisher of an online NBA newsletter and a former sports editor at the Nuttings' Wheeling newspapers, referring to the family patriarch's beloved basketball. "I kind of suspect that's the way they'll run the Pirates, try not to lose money more than win. 'Cause that's the way they run the newspapers. They don't like to lose money."

Post subject: Re: Much Ado About Nutting
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:55 pm 

This is not an issue that I have spent a lot of time arguing. I linked the article, read it, and re-read your post. You are off base in suggesting that the article shows that the Nuttings had "control" dating back before 2006. That is not what the article says.

The quoted information speaks as to how the Nuttings will handle the franchise in the future.
Quote:
"You know Donald Sterling of the L.A. Clippers?" asked Sam Amico, the publisher of an online NBA newsletter and a former sports editor at the Nuttings' Wheeling newspapers, referring to the family patriarch's beloved basketball. "I kind of suspect that's the way they'll run the Pirates, ...

This source does not provide a scrap of information suggesting that the Nuttings played a role in baseball decisions before 2006.

In fact, the article notes the following:

"McClatchy -- the single voice of the team, the person they so openly support and a fellow owner possessing the second-biggest stake -- is on a managing-general-partner contract that expires after the 2006 season, the one bringing the All-Star Game to the North Shore."

The article goes on to state, in part:

""I'm sure they're not in the baseball business for money," countered Randy Worls, a frequent PNC Park guest of the Nuttings and the head of the Oglebay Foundation and Wheeling's park system, boards on which Nutting men sit. "It ties into reasonable investments and return on investments. But they're in it to win. That's what they're aiming for. Everything else they've done, they've been successful. There's no reason to believe they won't be. . . with the Pirates."

So, you misread and misquote the article.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:29 pm 

I love how he uses the quote about "they don't like to lose money". REALLY? Who doesn't love to lose money? Hell, I wipe my ass with $100 bills!!! Come on...because they don't like to lose money, that implies that they obviously don't want to win. I mean, heck, everyone knows you have to lose money to win. That's why Steinbrenner and the other owners with high payrolls are paying for their groceries with food stamps.

Seriously, BH or estrago or whatever the hell you want to go by...give it up. You've been here for a couple of years spouting the exact same garbage. No one here is buying it...move on...please.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:12 pm 

estrago wrote:
Those of you who think Bob Nutting is new and that he and or his family have not had an influence on how this team has been run for most of the record breaking losing need to read this. As I have stated here McClatchy needs to take his share of the blame, but he was more of a front man and answered to the quiet men.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05275/581175-63.stm

This guys quote sums it up

Quote:
"You know Donald Sterling of the L.A. Clippers?" asked Sam Amico, the publisher of an online NBA newsletter and a former sports editor at the Nuttings' Wheeling newspapers, referring to the family patriarch's beloved basketball. "I kind of suspect that's the way they'll run the Pirates, try not to lose money more than win. 'Cause that's the way they run the newspapers. They don't like to lose money."

What other businesses do you expect to lose money to please you?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:32 pm 

Until January 2007, Kevin McClatchy controlled the board of directors, he had two votes and McClatchy-supporter Don Beaver one (Does anybody think it was a coincidence that the affiliation with the Beaver-owned Hickory Crawdads was terminated at the first opportunity after Bob Nutting took over?), to the Nuttings' two. After January 2007, the Nuttings controlled three votes to McClatchy's two. Despite McClatchy's statement at that time that he would continue as CEO, a few months later he was out. About six months later, McClatchy's hand-picked GM, with whom McClatchy had stuck with despite overwhelming evidence that he was an idiot, was also out.

Found this from Wilbur Miller

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:08 pm 

Did I say control or influence?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:39 pm 

estrago wrote:
Did I say control or influence?

Influence what? Dave Littlefield to make one poor draft decision after another? Waste any money he was given on garbage like Jeromy Burnitz? Stock Pile the minor leagues with career minor leaguers that were old than their class to inflate records? Make bad trades?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:11 pm 

Did I say the Nutting influence was on baseball player moves? It has always been and still is baseball on the cheap.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:25 pm 

estrago wrote:
Did I say the Nutting influence was on baseball player moves? It has always been and still is baseball on the cheap.

If Nutting isn't influencing baseball moves which makes up about, I don't know 100% of the team, then what did he actually influence?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:27 pm 

Kipper, you are wasting your breath. You will keep getting the runaround from BH all night long.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:32 pm 

Not me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:44 pm 

Kipper wrote:
estrago wrote:

If Nutting isn't influencing baseball moves which makes up about, I don't know 100% of the team, then what did he actually influence?

He indirectly influences baseball moves with how much money he lets the team spend in payroll.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:10 am 

Chris Anderson wrote:
estrago or whatever the hell you want to go by...give it up. You've been here for a couple of years spouting the exact same garbage. No one here is buying it...move on...please.

a couple of years spouting the exact same garbage, is that what you call the longest yearly losing streak?
I stopped buying it, did you?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:07 am 

estrago wrote:
Chris Anderson wrote:
estrago or whatever the hell you want to go by...give it up. You've been here for a couple of years spouting the exact same garbage. No one here is buying it...move on...please.

a couple of years spouting the exact same garbage, is that what you call the longest yearly losing streak?
I stopped buying it, did you?

Obviously I didn't...but if you stopped buying it then why the hell are you still here?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:11 am 

Ownership will eventually need to change for the Pirates to become a perpetual winner.

But for now NH is making moves even with a questionable owner that is building a great future.

I'm willing to make an exception on this rebuilding project since NH is doing a damned good job.

I'll reserve my hate for Nutting until he somehow ruins this go-round of rebuilding (and I hope to God he doesn't).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:57 am 

NSMaster56 wrote:
Ownership will eventually need to change for the Pirates to become a perpetual winner.

But for now NH is making moves even with a questionable owner that is building a great future.

Great future? That too is also extremely questionable. It is easy to implode a building...it is another to rebuild in its place. So far only the implosion has taken place.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:09 am 

estrago wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:

Great future? That too is also extremely questionable. It is easy to implode a building...it is another to rebuild in its place. So far only the implosion has taken place.

It's also easy to criticise and second guess every move that is made without thinking about the potential upside.

I'm giving this overhaul the chance it deserves until it fails. Then I'll express my outrage.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:14 am 

He doesn't watch baseball, how would he know?