Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Pearce moving back to 1B again
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:17 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 am
Posts: 3216
Location: Economy, PA
7 of 30 isn't terrible, but Chavez is clearly the better defensive player by a wide margin. He blocks balls with an ease and confidence that you will never see from Paulino. That has to be comforting to a pitcher. Plus he is much better at controlling the running game.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearce moving back to 1B again
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:06 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:09 pm
Posts: 2083
Location: Hingham, MA
Ralphie wrote:
7 of 30 isn't terrible, but Chavez is clearly the better defensive player by a wide margin. He blocks balls with an ease and confidence that you will never see from Paulino. That has to be comforting to a pitcher. Plus he is much better at controlling the running game.


Just for the heck of it, I ran the caught-stealing numbers for each NL team so far this season, and, if my math is correct, the Pirates are fifth-best @ 16-for-37 = .432.

Milwaukee is a phenomenal 25-for-31 (.806). Second: the Mets (15-for-20, .750). Third: St. Louis (14-for-25, .560). Florida is fourth: 17-for-37, .459.

Worst: the Padres (12-for-72, .166), with Arizona and the Giants tied at .189.

San Diego also has had the most attempts against: 72. Houston has had the fewest: 18.

_________________
If you think nobody notices you and you're all alone, try not paying your bills.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearce moving back to 1B again
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:12 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
Bob in Boston wrote:

Milwaukee is a phenomenal 25-for-31 (.806). Second: the Mets (15-for-20, .750). Third: St. Louis (14-for-25, .560). Florida is fourth: 17-for-37, .459.


How in balls name is a team that employs Jason Kendall leading the league in throwing out baserunners??!!!!

My hypothesis is that they have stretched the basepaths to 110 feet from 1st to 2nd...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearce moving back to 1B again
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:16 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
BBF wrote:
Bob in Boston wrote:

Milwaukee is a phenomenal 25-for-31 (.806). Second: the Mets (15-for-20, .750). Third: St. Louis (14-for-25, .560). Florida is fourth: 17-for-37, .459.


How in balls name is a team that employs Jason Kendall leading the league in throwing out baserunners??!!!!

My hypothesis is that they have stretched the basepaths to 110 feet from 1st to 2nd...


Actually, I spent the better part of the afternoon thinking about it, and I think I came up with an answer...by the time the baserunner runs AROUND Prince Fielder, its an easy play. Perhaps the key to improving Ronny's arm is to sign Mo Vaughn.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearce moving back to 1B again
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:39 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:28 pm
Posts: 1353
Ah, c'mon BBF....if you are going to give a straight line, at least let someone else do the punch line!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearce moving back to 1B again
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7106
BBF wrote:
BBF wrote:
Bob in Boston wrote:

Milwaukee is a phenomenal 25-for-31 (.806). Second: the Mets (15-for-20, .750). Third: St. Louis (14-for-25, .560). Florida is fourth: 17-for-37, .459.


How in balls name is a team that employs Jason Kendall leading the league in throwing out baserunners??!!!!

My hypothesis is that they have stretched the basepaths to 110 feet from 1st to 2nd...


Actually, I spent the better part of the afternoon thinking about it, and I think I came up with an answer...by the time the baserunner runs AROUND Prince Fielder, its an easy play. Perhaps the key to improving Ronny's arm is to sign Mo Vaughn.



Prince Fielder is using the baserunner's uniform as a napkin while stands out there and eats buffalo wings and sausage

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearce moving back to 1B again
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:09 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:09 pm
Posts: 2083
Location: Hingham, MA
Elmer wrote:
I am thrilled to see Pearce at first. I also don't see LaRoche as our 1B of the future. The "slow starter" thing is just an excuse; he's not that good.

I am also thrilled he did play in the OF. Knowing Pearce can play in the OF or at 1B gives the team options. That is such an underrated thing.


Pearce had another nice game Wednesday: 1-for-2, with a double, a SAC fly, a stolen base, a run scored, and 2 RBI. He's on a 6-game hitting streak (7-for-19, .368), and 4 of them have been for extra bases.

_________________
If you think nobody notices you and you're all alone, try not paying your bills.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearce moving back to 1B again
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:13 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10220
Chavez is a good catcher. He receives the ball really well, blocks pitches in the dirt, and now has thrown out 4 of 9 attempted base stealers (44%).

Once again, if he could hit a lick, he would be a darn fine backup. Ryan Doumit needs at least 1 day off per week, possibly 2. On those weeks where the Pirates play 7 games in a week, the backup C will be in the lineup twice. That is 6-8 plate appearances.

Offense is so important that normally I would cringe at having Chavez in the line-up. But seeing him the past week, his defense is so good that he merits play time - not at the expense of Doumit, mind you, given how good Doumit has been this year. I mean, Chavez deserves time spelling Doumit maybe 1-2x per week (preferably once per week) for day game after night game, regular rest, etc.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearce moving back to 1B again
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:37 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:36 pm
Posts: 42
sisyphus wrote:
bassoondirector wrote:
http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080603&content_id=2830757&vkey=news_pit&fext=.jsp&c_id=pit

There are, in my humble opinion, two big dead weights on this Pirate team. They are LaRoche and Paulino. The sooner they are gone or moved to a secondary role the better for me.

I wouldn't have any problem if Paulino is shipped out, LaRoche is moved to the Bench and Pearce is brought up to play 1B. I would play Mientkiewicz more at 1B until Pearce can make it up to the Pirates.

The deadest weight on this team right now is Freddy Sanchez, and it isn't close. He can't hit and he can't throw.


And he can't draw walks. That month they had him hitting leadoff was brutal.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearce moving back to 1B again
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:42 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:36 pm
Posts: 42
Elmer wrote:
IA Pirate wrote:
Why trade Paulino? The Pirates wouldn't get a thing in return and he is a fantastic backup catcher.


Also, if he's such a fantastic backup catcher, why is this Chavez kid getting more starts than him?


B/C losing his starting job to Chavez shows how great a backup catcher he really is. :lol:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearce moving back to 1B again
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7106
Elmer wrote:
Also, if he's such a fantastic backup catcher, why is this Chavez kid getting more starts than him?


Chavez is anything but a kid, he's 35 or 36...He could possibly have a son playing high school ball somewhere...if he has kids

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearce moving back to 1B again
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:40 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:19 pm
Posts: 12
Chris Gomez is hitting .318, and is a serviceable utility hitter. I think it may benefit Freddy to sit and rest for a series, take a break, and get himself collected and at full strength again. Gomez can fill the gap for 3-4 games, and then Freddy could come back with a renewed sense of energy.

When Doumit is healthy, he should come back and take over the catching position. I totally believe that it is his turn to show us what he has. His OPS in '07 was .813, and his OPS in '08 is .955. I really don't think this is a fluke.

As for Pearce, he may be having a slump from having to stay at one level for so long. However, I do believe he could easily emerge as a solid fixture in the Pirates infield at the 1B spot. Neil Walker, however, is the one I am worried about. He has a rough time in Indianapolis. And, his replacement at 3B just got drafted.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearce moving back to 1B again
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:05 am 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 3937
Location: Zelienople, PA
Boocock wrote:

As for Pearce, he may be having a slump from having to stay at one level for so long. .


Huh?

He's not spent 1/2 a season there yet, including last year.

How about, he's not ready for MLB pitching.

ZM

_________________
Someone tell Votto... rbis are good


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearce moving back to 1B again
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:41 am 
Boocock wrote:
Chris Gomez is hitting .318, and is a serviceable utility hitter. I think it may benefit Freddy to sit and rest for a series, take a break, and get himself collected and at full strength again. Gomez can fill the gap for 3-4 games, and then Freddy could come back with a renewed sense of energy.

When Doumit is healthy, he should come back and take over the catching position. I totally believe that it is his turn to show us what he has. His OPS in '07 was .813, and his OPS in '08 is .955. I really don't think this is a fluke.

As for Pearce, he may be having a slump from having to stay at one level for so long. However, I do believe he could easily emerge as a solid fixture in the Pirates infield at the 1B spot. Neil Walker, however, is the one I am worried about. He has a rough time in Indianapolis. And, his replacement at 3B just got drafted.



What? How does a player get in a slump for staying in one level for "so long." For one thing, he hasn't even played a full year in AAA so your point has no credibility. But even if he had been at AAA for 3 years, how does that put you in a slump? If anything, the longer a player is at a level, the more productive he should be ... a player should slowly master the inferior pitching.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearce moving back to 1B again
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:43 am 
sisyphus wrote:
Ralphie wrote:
The Pirates are scoring 4.9 runs per game, which is pretty good, but allowing 5.4, which is terrible.

Clearly the focus has to be on pitching and defense right now, hence the decision to play Chavez over Paulino. I expect Paulino to be sent down. He's an adequate backup but that's about it.

I agree that LaRoche is not the firstbaseman of the future, but now is not the time to bench him in favor of Pearce. He will start hitting eventually. He always does. And Pearce has not yet earned a promotion.

I have my doubts about Pearce being the first baseman of the future as well, but we have to see how this plays out. Maybe Bay or Nady, or Grabow or Marte, brings some more options come July.

Maybe a spell at Indy will turn things around for Paulino. It seemed to work out for guys like Jay Bell and Jeff King.


Not that Bell or King are hall of famers, but Ronnie Paulino is no Jeff King or Jay Bell. I think he's basically done in a Pirates uniform (unless injuries, etc.)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearce moving back to 1B again
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:45 am 
nad69dan wrote:
Elmer wrote:
Also, if he's such a fantastic backup catcher, why is this Chavez kid getting more starts than him?


Chavez is anything but a kid, he's 35 or 36...He could possibly have a son playing high school ball somewhere...if he has kids


You are right. I shouldn't call him a kid. I should have said, " ... why is this Chavez GUY getting more starts"

My mistake doesn't change my overall point, though. In fact it enforces it. If Paulino is such a "fantastic" backup catcher, why is he now in AAA with a journeyman in Pittsburgh backing up Doumit.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearce moving back to 1B again
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:28 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:10 am
Posts: 1314
Boocock wrote:
As for Pearce, he may be having a slump from having to stay at one level for so long.

Maybe that's Laroche's problem as well....


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearce moving back to 1B again
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:13 pm 
burghermeister wrote:
Boocock wrote:
As for Pearce, he may be having a slump from having to stay at one level for so long.

Maybe that's Laroche's problem as well....


Ha! Goodone Burghermeister.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearce moving back to 1B again
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:10 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:19 pm
Posts: 12
What I meant by the Pearce thing was that, because he was moving so quickly through each level, pitchers never got used to Pearce, and Pearce was just going on a tear. Now that pitchers get to see him on a more consistent basis, they are causing him grief. Eventually, he will get better. That's what I meant.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pearce moving back to 1B again
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 4566
Location: Pittsburgh
Boocock wrote:
Chris Gomez is hitting .318, and is a serviceable utility hitter. I think it may benefit Freddy to sit and rest for a series, take a break, and get himself collected and at full strength again. Gomez can fill the gap for 3-4 games, and then Freddy could come back with a renewed sense of energy.

When Doumit is healthy, he should come back and take over the catching position. I totally believe that it is his turn to show us what he has. His OPS in '07 was .813, and his OPS in '08 is .955. I really don't think this is a fluke.

As for Pearce, he may be having a slump from having to stay at one level for so long. However, I do believe he could easily emerge as a solid fixture in the Pirates infield at the 1B spot. Neil Walker, however, is the one I am worried about. He has a rough time in Indianapolis. And, his replacement at 3B just got drafted.

Pearce showed up at Indy this year with exactly 131 plate appearances at the AAA level, so I can't buy the stagnation theory.

I wouldn't start worrying about Walker just yet. He's only 22 years old at AAA. There is still plenty of time for him to get straightened out. If Walker and Alvarez both hit the Pirates won't have any trouble finding positions for them.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits