Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:54 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pearce moving back to 1B again
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:22 pm 

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/ ... p&c_id=pit

There are, in my humble opinion, two big dead weights on this Pirate team. They are LaRoche and Paulino. The sooner they are gone or moved to a secondary role the better for me.

I wouldn't have any problem if Paulino is shipped out, LaRoche is moved to the Bench and Pearce is brought up to play 1B. I would play Mientkiewicz more at 1B until Pearce can make it up to the Pirates.

Post subject: Re: Pearce moving back to 1B again
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:19 am 

I would have no problem with either of those scenarios. I support Doumit being the full-time catcher. While Paulino shows signs of improvement at the plate when splitting time early on, this team needs more offensive production considering the whole infield (minus Jack) is struggling to hit .250. As I think has already been mentioned in a thread recently, Joggin Ronnie could still have some trade potential due to the rookie season.

LaRoche ... the guy is a headcase and at this point there is no excuse for his struggles. A couple more games like his recent ones and he could very well be balancing along the .200 mark and has only hit a whopping 6 HRs. I'm done with "waiting" for this guy. No excuses anymore -- with games like tonight when we struggle to score a winning run, go ahead and give someone else a try in his place. If he pulls a "Bixler", at least you tried.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:22 am 

I would think a trade is in the works. How do you justify sending down the guy who has caught 5 of the last 6 games. What does that say about Paulino? You keep him up? I am sure they have a plan. They have to do something.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:25 am 
 WWW  Profile

Why trade Paulino? The Pirates wouldn't get a thing in return and he is a fantastic backup catcher.

7:00 PM

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:27 am 

He is more of a liability than Chavez. AT least Chavez can catch. He threw another runner out tonight. When is the last time Senor Renaldo did it?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:42 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
He is more of a liability than Chavez. AT least Chavez can catch. He threw another runner out tonight.

He actually threw out two attempted base stealers. If he could hit a lick, he would be a darn fine backup catcher . . . but his hitting is really, really bad. Given Doumit's injury history, it is pretty scary to think of Chavez behind the plate 5 days per week.

Wow, Ryan Doumit has become one of the most difficult players on the team to replace - Jack is probably the second most difficult.

Of course, those two wind up on the DL this season.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. My mind is wandering . . .

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:47 am 

Back on topic . . . current Pirate management understands that Laroche is not worth running out there 140 times per season. He is so lethargic, slow, and with such a lazy, looping swing that I am simply thrilled when he hits a ball hard. He hits more lazy fly balls and slow rollers than anybody else on the team - and that is when he puts the ball in play, rather than fanning 25% of his plate appearances.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:48 am 

IA Pirate wrote:
Why trade Paulino? The Pirates wouldn't get a thing in return and he is a fantastic backup catcher.

You're probably correct regarding his status at trade bait, but who knows.

Chavez has been borderline perfect defensively, which is something fresh being used to both Doumit and Paulino. He can't hit, but with the hits he has had, it doesn't look any less encouraging than Paulino.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:59 am 

bassoondirector wrote:
http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080603&content_id=2830757&vkey=news_pit&fext=.jsp&c_id=pit

There are, in my humble opinion, two big dead weights on this Pirate team. They are LaRoche and Paulino. The sooner they are gone or moved to a secondary role the better for me.

I wouldn't have any problem if Paulino is shipped out, LaRoche is moved to the Bench and Pearce is brought up to play 1B. I would play Mientkiewicz more at 1B until Pearce can make it up to the Pirates.

The deadest weight on this team right now is Freddy Sanchez, and it isn't close. He can't hit and he can't throw.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:36 am 

Freddy has 14 more hits than LaRoche. Other than that, Freddy has been stinking up the joint almost just as bad.

LaRoche
Sanchez
Paulino
Bautista
Snell
Gorzelanny

These are the guys who are most responsible for the Pirates being under .500

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:09 am 

bassoondirector wrote:
I would play Mientkiewicz more at 1B until Pearce can make it up to the Pirates.

The day that a diehard Red Wings fan is our everyday first baseman is the day I stop watching the Pirates.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:22 am 

McLouth is a Red Wings fan too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:47 am 

bassoondirector wrote:
http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080603&content_id=2830757&vkey=news_pit&fext=.jsp&c_id=pit

Minky this year: .327 OBA, .304 slugging
LaRoche this year: .290 OBA, .357 slugging

Minky career: .358 OBA, .404 slugging
LaRoche career: .335 OBA, .477 slugging

Oh yes, by all means, lets have more at bats from the inferior hitter.

I'm all for bringing up Pearce once he shows that he can hit AAA pitching this year. His .741 OPS tells me that he can't. I don't think he's blown his prospect status, but he is in an extended slump. His numbers were up in May, so maybe he's coming out of it. I expect to see him in a Pirate uniform before the end of July, but there is no reason to start his arbitration clock until you've cleared a spot on the roster for him through a trade.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:57 am 

bassoondirector wrote:
Freddy has 14 more hits than LaRoche. Other than that, Freddy has been stinking up the joint almost just as bad.

LaRoche
Sanchez
Paulino
Bautista
Snell
Gorzelanny

These are the guys who are most responsible for the Pirates being under .500

We may disagree as to the degree of stinkitude for some individuals, but that's accurate enough for me.

Take note that Bautista's bad numbers were in April. His OPS in May was .883, and so far in June it's .955. It looks to me like Bautista would make a fine platoon and utility guy, as he hits lefties well. Too bad they don't have a righty masher who plays third.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:47 am 

Snell and Gorzo need to head up that list of yours. Try to keep in mind that we have scored plenty to be winning more games. A great batter makes outs 6 or seven times out of ten.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:54 am 
I am thrilled to see Pearce at first. I also don't see LaRoche as our 1B of the future. The "slow starter" thing is just an excuse; he's not that good.

I am also thrilled he did play in the OF. Knowing Pearce can play in the OF or at 1B gives the team options. That is such an underrated thing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:56 am 
IA Pirate wrote:

"Fantastic" backup catcher? I couldn't disagree more. By all accounts, he's lazy. That strikes me as the kind of guy who mopes when he's not playing.

Also, if he's such a fantastic backup catcher, why is this Chavez kid getting more starts than him?

Paulino is dead weight. Get rid of him.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:12 pm 

The Pirates are scoring 4.9 runs per game, which is pretty good, but allowing 5.4, which is terrible.

Clearly the focus has to be on pitching and defense right now, hence the decision to play Chavez over Paulino. I expect Paulino to be sent down. He's an adequate backup but that's about it.

I agree that LaRoche is not the firstbaseman of the future, but now is not the time to bench him in favor of Pearce. He will start hitting eventually. He always does. And Pearce has not yet earned a promotion.

I have my doubts about Pearce being the first baseman of the future as well, but we have to see how this plays out. Maybe Bay or Nady, or Grabow or Marte, brings some more options come July.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:58 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
The Pirates are scoring 4.9 runs per game, which is pretty good, but allowing 5.4, which is terrible.

Clearly the focus has to be on pitching and defense right now, hence the decision to play Chavez over Paulino. I expect Paulino to be sent down. He's an adequate backup but that's about it.

I agree that LaRoche is not the firstbaseman of the future, but now is not the time to bench him in favor of Pearce. He will start hitting eventually. He always does. And Pearce has not yet earned a promotion.

I have my doubts about Pearce being the first baseman of the future as well, but we have to see how this plays out. Maybe Bay or Nady, or Grabow or Marte, brings some more options come July.

Maybe a spell at Indy will turn things around for Paulino. It seemed to work out for guys like Jay Bell and Jeff King.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:07 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
AT least Chavez can catch. He threw another runner out tonight. When is the last time Senor Renaldo did it?

Sunday, May 25, vs. the Cubs, as a matter of fact. He cut down Reed Johnson trying to steal second.

According to Baseball Reference, Paulino has gunned down 7 of 30 so far. Chavez: 3 of 7. Doumit: 6 of 16.