Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Who will we get from the Giants?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:27 am 

I think Sanchez sitting is precautionary until this trade gets done, which I feel certain will happen today. Does anyone know who the Pirates are looking at in return? Who are the players we ought to be pursuing?

Post subject: Re: Who will we get from the Giants?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:48 am 

Arsenio Hall is probably available. He is having financial problems, and will probably come real cheap. It doesn't matter that swapping Sanchez and Wilson guarantee a couple more 100 loss season, as there is absolutely no one to replace them.

As for prospects, perhaps there is a good pony league team in the Bay area that is loaded. Then, maybe a couple of them can be good by 2022.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:54 am 

I did a little research myself and a kid that I would like to see is Nick Noonan, a 20 year-old who was a sandwich pick for the Giants in 2007 and the 41st best prospect in 2007 according to Baseball America. He is a lef-handed hitting second baseman with decent power. He is currently the 5th best prospect in the Giants system, playing at high-A. The other middle infielders are shortstop Ehire Adrianza, the 6th best player in their system and Brian Bocock, who fell from starting shortstop for the major league team last year to A-ball. He sounds like Brian Bixler, part deux.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:56 am 

Thanks for that invaluable insight Steve 1/11/8 (I assume that is your birthdate, since all you do is cry like a baby.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:57 am 

Steve1118 wrote:
Arsenio Hall is probably available. He is having financial problems, and will probably come real cheap. It doesn't matter that swapping Sanchez and Wilson guarantee a couple more 100 loss season, as there is absolutely no one to replace them.

As for prospects, perhaps there is a good pony league team in the Bay area that is loaded. Then, maybe a couple of them can be good by 2022.

I guess you haven't noticed we have been losing with Sanchez and Wilson the past several years. Of course, if we gave them big money and big contracts, that would solve all the Pirates problems.

:roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:04 pm 

brad-

To answer your question, I would suggest that the Giants top 3 prospects- Bumgarner, Posey, and Villalona- are all most likely untouchable. I would love to get Tim Alderson, a RHP, but if it were anyone besides Brian Sabean, I'd say there is little-to-no chance of that, at least in a 1-for-1 trade. Noonan would be a decent return, but he is all upside right now. Big risk.

A coworker told me that he heard the return was better than Scott Barnes, their #9 prospect by Baseball America. So if we look at #'s 4-8, its Alderson, Noonan, Adrianza (the SS you mentioned), Gillaspie (a 3b prospect) and Rafael Rodriguez, an OF.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:05 pm 

bradf wrote:
I did a little research myself and a kid that I would like to see is Nick Noonan, a 20 year-old who was a sandwich pick for the Giants in 2007 and the 41st best prospect in 2007 according to Baseball America. He is a lef-handed hitting second baseman with decent power. He is currently the 5th best prospect in the Giants system, playing at high-A. The other middle infielders are shortstop Ehire Adrianza, the 6th best player in their system and Brian Bocock, who fell from starting shortstop for the major league team last year to A-ball. He sounds like Brian Bixler, part deux.

I was looking up some of their top prospects...Noonan is listed their #8 guy going into the season...

Another that caught my attention was Conor Gillaspie...6'1" 195 pounds, left handed hitter, just turned 22...played 9 games in the Majors last season for some odd reason...Drafted in 1st round in 2008...He was rated #7

Quote:
Has a great bat, with the potential to win a batting title, and a keen eye. Is aggressive on the base-paths.
Needs to make more strides with the glove in order to maximize his major-league potential. Doesn't have huge power potential.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/pl ... Gillaspie/

He's playing 3rd right now because of Noonan...He's got a good arm and is learning the position...Supposed to be pretty good at 2nd base...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:11 pm 

BBF wrote:
brad-

To answer your question, I would suggest that the Giants top 3 prospects- Bumgarner, Posey, and Villalona- are all most likely untouchable. I would love to get Tim Alderson, a RHP, but if it were anyone besides Brian Sabean, I'd say there is little-to-no chance of that, at least in a 1-for-1 trade.

Well, I was wrong, NH DID get Alderson. I have never been more ECSTATIC to be wrong. GREAT return.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:07 pm 

BBF wrote:
BBF wrote:
brad-

To answer your question, I would suggest that the Giants top 3 prospects- Bumgarner, Posey, and Villalona- are all most likely untouchable. I would love to get Tim Alderson, a RHP, but if it were anyone besides Brian Sabean, I'd say there is little-to-no chance of that, at least in a 1-for-1 trade.

Well, I was wrong, NH DID get Alderson. I have never been more ECSTATIC to be wrong. GREAT return.

BBF= Clairvoyant!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:23 pm 

BBF= Clairvoyant!!!!!!

I thought we were going to stop with the name-calling!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:52 pm 

BBF wrote:
BBF wrote:
brad-

You are the man! That's great. This board has some really great posters.