Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:09 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Who should we have drafted?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:42 am 

Ryann wrote:

So what the Pirates have had 17 straight losing seasons? So what the Pirates have traded almost all of their top talent and still according to bucfan are "1969 Nova". So what the Pirates do not spend close to league average on payroll.

Ryann,
I don't understand. Do you care or not? You say you care but then you say "so what if we've had 17 straight losing seasons?" I thought you cared!!!! Your feelings are as conflicted as Brett Farve.

Also, Ryan is spelled with one N.

One more thing, Jay Bay IS better than Andy LaRoche. Get it through your little brain.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:12 am 

Grant Green. And I still maintain that he would've been a better pick than Tony Sanchez, especially given our current situation at SS.

However I am pleasantly suprised with Sanchez's production so far and hope he proves me wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:45 am 

Sorry
I dont follow/watch high school or college baseball. Same for hockey(except my kids) Hey if thats your thing to keep up with that, good for you. So for me to say who they should draft would be foolish. However it was pointed out by so called experts(and yes, they can be wrong)the Pirates did not draft the best player available because of costs...gee whats new.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:43 am 

omgardd wrote:
Grant Green. And I still maintain that he would've been a better pick than Tony Sanchez, especially given our current situation at SS.

However I am pleasantly suprised with Sanchez's production so far and hope he proves me wrong.

omgardd-

I was with you on Green leading up to the draft, but I backed off of him for one big reason- a ton of scouting reports suggest that he will not be a big league SS. Move him to the outfield or to third and his bat doesn't impress nearly as much.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:45 am 

estrago wrote:
Sorry
I dont follow/watch high school or college baseball. Same for hockey(except my kids) Hey if thats your thing to keep up with that, good for you. So for me to say who they should draft would be foolish. However it was pointed out by so called experts(and yes, they can be wrong)the Pirates did not draft the best player available because of costs...gee whats new.

There were also experts who figured 1st round picks 3 through 30 were of similar talent levels also...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:12 pm 

estrago wrote:
Sorry

Well then shut up about the Sanchez pick. Are you freakin dense or something? Of course the "experts" are going to say something bad about the Pirates pick, its easy to pick on the PBC while they are down, its the vogue thing man. The problem is guys like you that fall for the crap hook, line, and sinker. Your the sucker, your the one blindly following whatever ESPN or other so-called "experts" are saying. Hell, you don't even watch Pirates baseball(stated by yourself), so how the hell do you actually know anything? Stop cluttering the board with your tired ole' BS, I'm sick of it, I'm sick of you, and I am sick of everyone else that can't freakin get a clue. Sure it sucks will will have lost 17 straight years, but get over it, move forward and stop looking backwards. DON"T tell me that we've lost 17 years straight, I know, because I HAVE BEEN FAITHFULLY WATCHING AND CHEERING THEM SINCE 1975 ... So shut the hell up...

I've tried to talk to you professionally, hell I've even stuck up for you at times, but your crap is tired and old and a waste of space on this board.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:55 pm 

That garbage pick, Sanchez, is now hitting .369/.488/.569 in A-ball. His batting average, OBP and OPS of 1.057 would be the best in the SAL, far and away, if he had enough at bats to qualify.

But hey, he plays an easy defensive position, so it's not as if catchers who enter pro ball and start raking are rare.

And by the way, his hitting is such that he plays DH on his days off from his cushy defensive position, and in that role, hit a HR last night.

But the pick stinks. Who cares if he plays a premier defensive position - he doesn't, of course, since C is just a half-step above DH - and is killing the ball at a level where most of the competition has been in the minors much longer than he has? This is incredibly common - catchers always roll out of the draft, kill A-level pitching (not rookie ball, mind you, but A-ball), draw walks, hit for high slugging, and play excellent defense.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:04 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
That garbage pick, Sanchez, is now hitting .369/.488/.569 in A-ball. His batting average, OBP and OPS of 1.057 would be the best in the SAL, far and away, if he had enough at bats to qualify.

But hey, he plays an easy defensive position, so it's not as if catchers who enter pro ball and start raking are rare.

And by the way, his hitting is such that he plays DH on his days off from his cushy defensive position, and in that role, hit a HR last night.

But the pick stinks. Who cares if he plays a premier defensive position - he doesn't, of course, since C is just a half-step above DH - and is killing the ball at a level where most of the competition has been in the minors much longer than he has? This is incredibly common - catchers always roll out of the draft, kill A-level pitching (not rookie ball, mind you, but A-ball), draw walks, hit for high slugging, and play excellent defense.

Attachments:
sarcasm meter.jpg
sarcasm meter.jpg [ 14.81 KiB | Viewed 112 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:05 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:
estrago wrote:
Sorry

Well then shut up about the Sanchez pick. Are you freakin dense or something? Of course the "experts" are going to say something bad about the Pirates pick, its easy to pick on the PBC while they are down, its the vogue thing man. The problem is guys like you that fall for the crap hook, line, and sinker. Your the sucker, your the one blindly following whatever ESPN or other so-called "experts" are saying. Hell, you don't even watch Pirates baseball(stated by yourself), so how the hell do you actually know anything? Stop cluttering the board with your tired ole' BS, I'm sick of it, I'm sick of you, and I am sick of everyone else that can't freakin get a clue. Sure it sucks will will have lost 17 straight years, but get over it, move forward and stop looking backwards. DON"T tell me that we've lost 17 years straight, I know, because I HAVE BEEN FAITHFULLY WATCHING AND CHEERING THEM SINCE 1975 ... So shut the hell up...

I've tried to talk to you professionally, hell I've even stuck up for you at times, but your crap is tired and old and a waste of space on this board.

I think the funniest part of some fans on this board is they have the conspiracy theory of the century...."ESPN Out to Get The Pirates!". Maybe you guys can right a book about how the evil ESPN has gone out of their way to attack the Pirates, and Im sure it has nothing to do with 17 straight years of losing.
Espn reports the news, and they report what is being said. Which was the Pirates once again reach high in the draft and take the cheaper alternative in the first round. Could Sanchez still turn out to be good? Yes. But someone else like Crow or Matsek has a better chance to be great.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:09 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:
Your the sucker, your the one blindly following whatever ESPN or other so-called "experts" are saying. Hell, you don't even watch Pirates baseball(stated by yourself), so how the hell do you actually know anything? Stop cluttering the board with your tired ole' BS, I'm sick of it, I'm sick of you, and I am sick of everyone else that can't freakin get a clue. Sure it sucks will will have lost 17 straight years, but get over it, move forward and stop looking backwards. DON"T tell me that we've lost 17 years straight, I know, because I HAVE BEEN FAITHFULLY WATCHING AND CHEERING THEM SINCE 1975 ... So shut the hell up...

Piratefan13 Meltdown! :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:10 pm 

JimY wrote:
Estrogen... Who would you have taken?
Ry-guy....Which one would you have taken?

I already said way earlier in this thread.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:15 pm 

Ryann wrote:
Maybe you guys can right a book

Would this be in contrast to "wronging" a book or "lefting" a book? :?

I remember when this board had insightful discussion about the Pirates. Now our time is spent arguing with yinzers like Ryannnnnnnn and Steve-o and the infalliable Bull. Quite tiresome. I'm about ready to call for a housecleaning similar to what happened after the batch of @ssholes from CIA came over...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:16 pm 

BBF wrote:
Ryann wrote:
Maybe you guys can right a book

Would this be in contrast to "wronging" a book or "lefting" a book? :?

I remember when this board had insightful discussion about the Pirates. Now our time is spent arguing with yinzers like Ryannnnnnnn and Steve-o and the infalliable Bull. Quite tiresome. I'm about ready to call for a housecleaning similar to what happened after the batch of @ssholes from CIA came over...

You are WRITE anyone who dares think the team is going in the wrong direction should be ousted from this board!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:19 pm 

Ryann wrote:
You are WRITE anyone who dares think the team is going in the wrong direction should be ousted from this board!

It has nothing to do with your opinions. I'm sorry that you are too dense to grasp that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:25 pm 

BBF wrote:
Ryann wrote:

It has nothing to do with your opinions. I'm sorry that you are too dense to grasp that.

Anyone that has the opinion that the team is going in the wrong direction is flipped out on. And when we support facts proving this you guys just ridicule us.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:28 pm 

BBF....
I wholeheartedly agree. I am tired of every post getting turned in to a sounding board for those who have one message repeated ad-infinitum (someone can pronounce that one for our jr. high posters).

We are at serious risk of losing the posters who contribute to healthy, logical debate and enjoyable banter.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:38 pm 

....we are at a point where we are going to clean house either by default (losing the logical posters) or clean house by our choosing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:52 pm 

estrago wrote:
Piratefan13 wrote:
Your the sucker, your the one blindly following whatever ESPN or other so-called "experts" are saying. Hell, you don't even watch Pirates baseball(stated by yourself), so how the hell do you actually know anything? Stop cluttering the board with your tired ole' BS, I'm sick of it, I'm sick of you, and I am sick of everyone else that can't freakin get a clue. Sure it sucks will will have lost 17 straight years, but get over it, move forward and stop looking backwards. DON"T tell me that we've lost 17 years straight, I know, because I HAVE BEEN FAITHFULLY WATCHING AND CHEERING THEM SINCE 1975 ... So shut the hell up...

Well put BH. Actually that's about it the truth of it. I am pretty fed up with the crap that's been on this board lately. I want it it back to where this was educated discussions (and referring to me I use that term very loosely)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:02 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:
estrago wrote:
Piratefan13 wrote:

Well put BH. Actually that's about it the truth of it. I am pretty fed up with the crap that's been on this board lately. I want it it back to where this was educated discussions (and referring to me I use that term very loosely)

You mean like your little emotional name calling rant or meltdown?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:09 pm 

Quote:
You mean like your little emotional name calling rant or meltdown?

I called you a sucker... does that hurt your feelings?? You've been calling me that for being an "apologist" since we started arguing this same topic 2 years ago.

Don't get all self-righteous on me, you know you enjoy getting guys like me all wound up more than you actually care about the Pirates.