Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:47 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: what the Pirates are trying to do
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:51 am 

This quote is not mine but I agree with most of it
Quote:
One can clearly see what the Pirates are trying to do:
Build a winner while keeping payroll below MLB average.
With the traditional newspaper business facing serious financial problems, I cannot see the Nutting family allowing the Pirates payroll to even match the MLB average for the forseeable future.
It's a no-win situation for Nutting - if things go swimmingly, he loses his MLB $27 million welfare check.
Why, from a business perspective, would you want to lose that?

I think the Pirates would be hard-pressed to make up that difference thru winning.

The route to success, then, is exactly what NH is trying to do:

1. Load up on high-upside prospects, and hope some come thru.

2. Control them for most of 6 major-league years, then trade them for more upside propsects.

3. Draft plenty of high school arms, then lure them away from college before the college coaches can wear out their arms.

In theory, fine. But what has happened so far, is this:

1. The high-upside prospects haven't shown that high upside at the major-league level - could it be that other GM's aren't as foolish as we thought?

2. An unwillingness to commit to "core players", i.e. good but not great players that every team needs to complement the stars - see McLouth, Nate.

3. Lack of any star players in the system, except P. Alvarez - not totally Huntington's fault, although see #4 below.

4. An worrisome unwillingness this year to take the best player available, as witnessed by the Pirates taking the 27th rated player with the 4th pick.

5. An unwillingness to greatly increase draft budget to levels, insuring both the ability to draft the best available player, and sign large numbers of high-upside draftees - thus, the Pirates took the 27th rated player with the 4th pick, so that they could use 1st round savings on other picks.

Post subject: Re: what the Pirates are trying to do
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:32 pm 

Quote:
2. An unwillingness to commit to "core players", i.e. good but not great players that every team needs to complement the stars - see McLouth, Nate.

We'd be in trouble if the Front Office considered "good" which to me = "average" players are to be considered "core players". Those are what I consider to be complimentary players.

Quote:
5. An unwillingness to greatly increase draft budget to levels, insuring both the ability to draft the best available player, and sign large numbers of high-upside draftees - thus, the Pirates took the 27th rated player with the 4th pick, so that they could use 1st round savings on other picks.

The signing deadline hasn't even happened yet so how can someone even throw this one out? Whether one wants to believe it or not, Frank or Neal were asked what the budget for the draft was this season and they said the same as last year and we spent the 2nd most in all of baseball last season on the draft. Regardless of who the heck we drafted in the first round, if we spend that amount, then the Pirates spent on the draft.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:13 pm 

The last part says it all Kipper. People complain about the Sanchez pick being motivated by money but they fail to look at all the other high dollar guys we drafted later on.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:12 am 

The only point I MIGHT agree with so far is #4, because I was hoping the Pirates would draft Crow or a top-pitcher.

But I'm OK with Sanchez and he's doing good so far.

I think it's a little premature to say anything else.

This is really just the end of the first year of the rebuilding plan. Not time to panic or cry wolf yet.