It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:02 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Huntington's credentials in question
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:41 am 

This is the latest Smizik blog

http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs ... ja-sf.aspx

I find this comment laugable

Quote:
it’s becoming clear that the fate of the franchise rests not with owner Bob Nutting’s willingness to open his checkbook but with general manager Neal Huntington and the men who advise him.

Like GMs of the past, their hands are tied. Not saying give the GM a blank check and have a ball but excusing the cheapness of the owner can not be brushed off like it has no impact.

Post subject: Re: Huntington's credentials in question
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:36 pm 

Despite budgetary limitations, the GM is certainly subject to criticism.

For example, why are Vasquez and Salazar on the big club while Snell and Milledge are in the minors?

Seems obvious that you would want to put your best team on the field, but that is not what they are doing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:22 pm 

Ralphie wrote:

For example, why are Vasquez and Salazar on the big club while Snell and Milledge are in the minors?

Seems obvious that you would want to put your best team on the field, but that is not what they are doing.

Huntington or Kyle Stark have stated that they found holes in Milledge's offensive and defensive game and they are working on correcting those issues in AAA and not rushing him. Seems reasonable to me. Milledge was already rushed once, work on fixing his flaws and bring him up when he's ready. Lasting's Milledge isn't going to bring us any closer to the playoffs this year but he's an important part of the future.

Snell's a headcase who is feasting on AAAA hitting, still refusing to throw inside and his walk rate in games has been increasing at AAA. I hope I never see Snell in a Pirates uniform again.

Vasquez and Salazar stink, I agree. Salazar isn't costing us any games though, he's fairly meaningless. I don't like seeing him pinch hit but he's not winning or losing games for us. Vasquez stinks. I'd rather see Ty Taubenheim

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:30 pm 

My preference would be to bring up Daniel McCutchen and see what he can do. This is certainly a season to find out about people, and I think he probably needs a look. He at least has A CHANCE of being part of the future, while Vazquez does not.

To estrago's original point I do get nervous with this ownership. I am fully on board with everything Huntington is doing, and commend him on most of the moves he has made(still think he should've gotten a proven player in the Bay deal). But eventually ownership has to spend money. We finally have a GM with a plan and a fairly keen eye for talent, unlike the two buffoons before him. He isn't looking to spend money on Derek Bell or Jeromy Burnitz. But if ownership isn't willing to eventually spend a bit, it won't matter. That is why signing Sano is a big deal in my eyes. It would be a sign that he isn't totally hamstringing the GM. Nutting talks a good game, but I'm not sure whether he is to be taken seriously...we shall see.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:48 pm 

I take any post by Estrago with a grain of salt and a shot of tequila...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:51 pm 

Smizik is just now coming to that conclusion...thats horrible. How do I get a job being that clueless?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:57 pm 

I actually thought Moss was playing some pretty good OF Defense this year, minus the past weekend...And most of everyone thought he was a 4th OFer...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:57 pm 

urbanexplorer wrote:
Smizik is just now coming to that conclusion...thats horrible. How do I get a job being that clueless?

This is really nothing more than Smizik trying to save face and make people forget that he continuously defended Dave Littlefield. It wasn't until everyone else jum,ped on the Littlefield hatewagon during the Moskos draft that Smizik jumped on. Since huntington was hired, Smizik hasn't exactly defended Huntington like he did with Littlefield (which is wrong to an extent since Huntington has done more right in a short period of time than Littlefield did during a tenure). It also shows that Smizik in general has no idea how things really work or happen either, so this time around he basically is being tough on Huntington in case he doesn't look like a fool again like he did defending Littlefield.

In the end, Smizik will most likely look like a fool. It's a consistency of his :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:59 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
I actually thought Moss was playing some pretty good OF Defense this year, minus the past weekend...And most of everyone thought he was a 4th OFer...

Moss plays a good Left Field. He's looked bad playing Right Field. Garrett Jones looked decent in Left Field, he's looked horrid in Right field

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:35 pm 

nad69dan wrote:

He's not a 4th OF??? I want to see him get more of a chance to play so they can get a better idea about him. However, having seen him play(defense and offense) to this point, he has done nothing to prove he isn't a 4th OF.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:42 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
nad69dan wrote:

He's not a 4th OF??? I want to see him get more of a chance to play so they can get a better idea about him. However, having seen him play(defense and offense) to this point, he has done nothing to prove he isn't a 4th OF.

Moss is actually well above average defensively - in Left Field. He's definitely starting, non-4th outfield in Left defensively. Batting is a whole other story

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:22 pm 

Ralphie wrote:

1. Because you don't want a quality young player sitting on the end of your bench pinch hitting twice a week.
2. Because Snell is right where he asked to be.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:15 am 

urbanexplorer wrote:

Politics

Or the media