Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DK on Steve Pearce
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:52 am 

Yesterday in his chat, DK was asked how long Pearce had to show what he can do. His response was:
Quote:
Probably about a month. He has to do much better than he has so far.

I'm puzzled by this response. Since being given the opportunity to play every day (5 games now), Pearce has gotten a hit in every game with 3 doubles and 2 walks. His numbers are .316/.381/.474. I haven't gotten to watch much of the games over that period but I saw him make a play at first diving to his right that I'm pretty sure LaRoche would not have made. I see from the stat sheet that he has one error during that time. Has he been playing poorly at first base?

I'm not suggesting that Pearce is The Answer but I've found his play since being recalled to be encouraging. I'd just like to understand where DK is coming from with that remark.

Post subject: Re: DK on Steve Pearce
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:00 am 

Yeah me too. I have not been a believer in Pearce but he has done better than I expected so far.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:11 am 

At his current rate, he'd strike out 221 times over the course of 162 games. Not going to fly unless he can slug .550.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:41 am 

Pearce has been better then I thought he would be both offensively and defensively however I don't think he has any chance of making a play that Adam cannot. Adam is one of the best defensive 1B around and he is also a lot taller.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:18 am 

BostonBuc wrote:
Pearce has been better then I thought he would be both offensively and defensively however I don't think he has any chance of making a play that Adam cannot. Adam is one of the best defensive 1B around and he is also a lot taller.

I agree that LaRoche is a fine 1st baseman. He is particularly adept at handling errant throws from his fellow infielders. The one area where I think he was somewhat less than stellar was in his range on ground balls, especially going to his right. This was the type of play that I saw Pearce make over the weekend. I'll hold by my original contention that LaRoche does not make that play.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:19 am 

Pearce has gotten the barrel of the bat on the ball a fair number of times, but overall I don't think he has the look. I'm in favor of continuing to give him his chance though.

I think his grace period ends September 1.