Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:21 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: When?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5428
Location: Pittsburgh
When is Russell going to stop putting his worst hitter at the top of the lineup? The only thing worse than leading off with Freddy Sanchez is batting him third. Drop him down to seventh or eighth where he belongs until he gets himself straightened out.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: When?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 am
Posts: 3138
I agree, but it doesn't make me too upset because, well, who are you going to replace him with in that spot? Bautista? It's not like this squad has the talent to simply replace or swap struggling parts of the lineup.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: When?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:43 pm
Posts: 4983
Location: Omaha, NE via Sioux City, Kansas City, and Chicago
I was thinking the same tonight. I don't know why you couldn't just drop Sanchez down and slide everyone else up a spot.

1. McLouth
2. Wilson
3. Bay
4. Nady
5. Doumit (Friday)
6. Sanchez
7. LaStrikeOut
8. Mienkiewiecz/Bautista
9. Pitcher

_________________
Iowa State Cyclones (2-4) at Texas Longhorns (2-4)
Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium
October 18, 2014
7:00 PM


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: When?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:18 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 6281
Sanchez hit the ball hard a couple of times. Our starting pitching is a much bigger concern. If Sanchez can figure out that breaking balls down and away are not the pitch to swing at then he will be ok.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: When?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:39 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5428
Location: Pittsburgh
TheShark wrote:
I agree, but it doesn't make me too upset because, well, who are you going to replace him with in that spot? Bautista? It's not like this squad has the talent to simply replace or swap struggling parts of the lineup.

It isn't that complicated. Just drop him down to seventh and move everybody up one spot. The only guy on the team who is hitting worse than Sanchez is Chavez, so putting anyone else would be an improvement. Shoot, there are only two regulars in all of baseball who are hitting worse than Sanchez right now.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: When?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:43 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 am
Posts: 3138
sisyphus wrote:
TheShark wrote:
I agree, but it doesn't make me too upset because, well, who are you going to replace him with in that spot? Bautista? It's not like this squad has the talent to simply replace or swap struggling parts of the lineup.

It isn't that complicated. Just drop him down to seventh and move everybody up one spot. The only guy on the team who is hitting worse than Sanchez is Chavez, so putting anyone else would be an improvement. Shoot, there are only two regulars in all of baseball who are hitting worse than Sanchez right now.


Um ... are you forgetting about your boy LaRoche? Paulino is also hitting worse.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: When?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:46 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5428
Location: Pittsburgh
Az Bucco fan wrote:
Sanchez hit the ball hard a couple of times. Our starting pitching is a much bigger concern. If Sanchez can figure out that breaking balls down and away are not the pitch to swing at then he will be ok.

I agree with all of your points. I just don't see why they should put the hitter with the 422nd best OPS in baseball in the third spot until he actually figures that out. Right now Sanchez is making Rivas look like Chase Utley.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: When?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:54 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5428
Location: Pittsburgh
TheShark wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
TheShark wrote:
I agree, but it doesn't make me too upset because, well, who are you going to replace him with in that spot? Bautista? It's not like this squad has the talent to simply replace or swap struggling parts of the lineup.

It isn't that complicated. Just drop him down to seventh and move everybody up one spot. The only guy on the team who is hitting worse than Sanchez is Chavez, so putting anyone else would be an improvement. Shoot, there are only two regulars in all of baseball who are hitting worse than Sanchez right now.


Um ... are you forgetting about your boy LaRoche? Paulino is also hitting worse.

Nope, they aren't. LaRoche has an OPS of .660, Paulino's is .605, and Sanchez has an OPS of .581. Batting the guy with the worst OBP and least power in the starting lineup in the third spot is just plain crazy. Drop him down until he gets back to hitting like Freddy Sanchez.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: When?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:05 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 am
Posts: 3138
Monumental differences between those numbers, enough to consider one "easily" the biggest dead weight. :roll:

And I'm guessing your satisfied with the play of both LaRoche and Paulino currently/this season?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: When?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:06 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:04 pm
Posts: 452
TheShark wrote:
I agree, but it doesn't make me too upset because, well, who are you going to replace him with in that spot? Bautista? It's not like this squad has the talent to simply replace or swap struggling parts of the lineup.


Andrew McCutchen.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: When?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:36 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5428
Location: Pittsburgh
TheShark wrote:
Monumental differences between those numbers, enough to consider one "easily" the biggest dead weight. :roll:

And I'm guessing your satisfied with the play of both LaRoche and Paulino currently/this season?

Heck no, I'm not, but I don't see Paulino or LaRoche at the top of the order. In fact, you might not even be seeing Paulino's name on the roster after this weekend. I'm not suggesting that Russell bench Sanchez. Just drop him down in the order until he heats up, just as he dropped LaRoche down back in April. I don't think that Sanchez is a terrible hitter, but he's a terrible hitter right now.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: When?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:41 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 am
Posts: 3655
Location: Economy, PA
Sanchez should hit 7th tonight, with Chavez 8th. When Doumit comes back, I'd put Freddy 8th.

He'll eventually revert to form, but he can do that without killing the offense.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: When?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:59 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5428
Location: Pittsburgh
Ralphie wrote:
Sanchez should hit 7th tonight, with Chavez 8th. When Doumit comes back, I'd put Freddy 8th.

He'll eventually revert to form, but he can do that without killing the offense.

I wouldn't drop Freddy into the 8th spot. He'd see nothing but bouncing breaking balls there.

Come to think of it, maybe that would be a good thing.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: When?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:16 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:22 pm
Posts: 2495
You guys are being a bit harsh on Freddy. All he needs to do is make an equipment change. I can't confirm it, but rumor has it that a mysterious box was delivered to PNC lastnight. It contains the answer to all his batting problems.







Inside the box was a........









........wait for it.......













Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: When?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:47 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5428
Location: Pittsburgh
Argentum wrote:
You guys are being a bit harsh on Freddy. All he needs to do is make an equipment change. I can't confirm it, but rumor has it that a mysterious box was delivered to PNC lastnight. It contains the answer to all his batting problems.

The first time I used a Big Bertha I knew that the game of golf had been ruined by technology. I wish that the PGA would mandate a return to steel shafts and wooden club heads.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: When?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:33 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:11 pm
Posts: 3364
Location: Wheeling, WV
They hinted last week that when Doumit returns that he would return to the four spot in the line up, and that Wilson would return to his normal position near the bottom.
That tells me that their thinking is that Freddy will be 2nd after Nate and Bay will move to the 3 spot.

Nate
Freddy
Bay
Doumit
Nady
LaRoche
Batista
Wilson
Pitcher

That's my guess. And BTW Freddy is going to be fine guys (about a $10.00 fine) just relax and as AZ suggests find us some SP's.

_________________
2011 Will Be Our Year -- well make that 2012 (just saying) So it looks like 2013 now - how long must this go on!
THIS IS IT-- NO MORE STREAK!!! *** Finally*** Time to win it in 2014


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: When?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:52 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5428
Location: Pittsburgh
Substitute2 wrote:
They hinted last week that when Doumit returns that he would return to the four spot in the line up, and that Wilson would return to his normal position near the bottom.
That tells me that their thinking is that Freddy will be 2nd after Nate and Bay will move to the 3 spot.

Nate
Freddy
Bay
Doumit
Nady
LaRoche
Batista
Wilson
Pitcher

That's my guess. And BTW Freddy is going to be fine guys (about a $10.00 fine) just relax and as AZ suggests find us some SP's.

I know he's going to be fine. Bat him seventh until he is.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: When?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:09 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:22 pm
Posts: 2495
sisyphus wrote:
The first time I used a Big Bertha I knew that the game of golf had been ruined by technology. I wish that the PGA would mandate a return to steel shafts and wooden club heads.


I still use the original Big Bertha. I can't get over how much bigger the newer ones are compared to the original. It would be interesting to see how far Woods could drive a ball using a steel shafted persimmon club.

Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: When?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5428
Location: Pittsburgh
Argentum wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
The first time I used a Big Bertha I knew that the game of golf had been ruined by technology. I wish that the PGA would mandate a return to steel shafts and wooden club heads.


I still use the original Big Bertha. I can't get over how much bigger the newer ones are compared to the original. It would be interesting to see how far Woods could drive a ball using a steel shafted persimmon club.

Image

My guess is that it would still be quite a distance. The biggest change I noted with the new technology is that it seemed to benefit short hitters a lot more than it did long hitters. I think that's because the new clubs have much bigger sweet spots. A guy who is a big hitter is already hitting the sweet spot most of the time. He's still gaining distance, but the effect isn't as pronounced as it is for the lightweight hitter.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: When?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:42 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 6281
I like to play golf but don't have the time or sometimes energy. I played two weeks ago with my partner at school and he let me hit his "giant" club. Don't remember the brand or such. Took a pretty good, low and slow rip and hit the bejeezuz out of it. I don;t even hit my own driver opting for the 3 wood, a tiny, by comparison, honest to God wood. Of course I wouldn't pay 300 bills for one club either. I guess I will just stick with my 25 year old 1200LT's and my equally aged Golden Bear irons. I don't even like Jack Nicklaus. In fact I find him a displeasing sort.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits