Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: TROLL ALERT!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:39 am 

Animal wrote:
palushock wrote:
Parker does not belong in the hall of name, and neither does Jim Rice.

The thing that puzzles me, is how after some 15 years after he retired, now he is worthy enough to be elected?.
It's a freaking sham, but i am sure Peter(i got pee soup on my chin) Gammons, absolutely believes Rice is hall worthy. That right there is enough evidence, for the slow minded, such as the original poster.
Parker compared to Bonds(Barry), not Bobby, well there is no comparison.
In Bond's Pirate career, he never took a seaon off, like Parker did. I remember him coming to spring training one year, and the Press couldn't get enough of how much of a Gorilla he turned into. I am referring to his weight, and lack of conditioning, if anyone wants to relate the Gorilla comment to being racist.
Besides that, soon after Parker turned to doing ton's of blow, hence the Pittsburgh drug trials, which he was one of the keynote speakers.
Bonds could hit everyone, and everywhere.
Parker VS Bonds, against lefty pitching is no comparison. Bonds never gave an inch, Parker flailed his arms like he was having a seizure.
Anyone who thinks Rice is a hall of famer(and Parker also), must be the sipping on the DROOL AID that exit's Peter Gammons cold sores, i am sure the original thread starter would fall into that category, how about you?

I really think it is time for you to find a psychiatrist. You have some kind of deep-seeded anger, and unable to have any kind of civil debate. I think you are in serious need of some help.

Hey palushock maybe we can carpool to anger management :lol:

Post subject: Re: Why Not This Guy???
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:09 am 

If you are simply comparing Parker's best years as a Pirate to Barry's best years as a Pirate then maybe that argument holds some water, but not much. Not to be rude, but I think the nature in which Bonds left the Pirates (not just the $, but that damn throw) combined with the steroids issues and the fact that he is just a dick really skew people's judgements. Regardless of the steriods, he had the best batting eye in baseball...maybe ever. That is undeniable. It would be ignorant to say that steroids didn't blow up his power numbers, but that wasn't the only thing that made Bonds the best player of his generation.

- 14 straight seasons with an OPS over 1.000!
- His first season in the league he struck out 102 times, that would be the last time he K'd more than 100 times in a season.
- Only man in the 500/500 club.

Look, Dave Parker was one of my favorite Bucs growing up. His numbers are marginal for Hall of Fame consideration, though. His inclusion in the cocaine issues during the 80's basically eliminated any chance for HoF, unless he had finished with 3000 hits, unfortunately his body couldn't hold out long enough in the end.

Also, while the negative issues I listed above about Bonds skew perceptions, I think that Parker receive the opposite effects because of his affiliation with the Lumber Company and the '79 champs. He is more beloved because he helped bring home the championship. While he was a major part of that club, that WS victory was a team effort. When simply comparing the two players, it isn't even close.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:28 am 

Dave Dameshek has been campaigning for Parker for years!

I'm not sure why Parker isn't in the Hall.

I think maybe it's because the influx of 80's and 90's players (and increase in their stats) overshadows him.

Personally, I don't think he'll make it into the hall until the 25th hour.

Sad, but true.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:37 am 

Ryann wrote:
Animal wrote:
Ryann wrote:
No way. Bonds was better in his prime years then Parker.

Did you ever see Parker play? Then how can you make this judgement. Parker was hands down among the top few all around players in the league for several years.

He was WAY better than Bonds was.

Bonds was the most feared hitter maybe ever. It may have been fake, but he had a 73 homerun season. He racked up a lot of rbi's, and pitcher would intentionally walk him with the basesloaded. No one wanted to pitch to this guy, most walks in a season, and most feared hitter ever. He was much better then parker in his prime.

See, here's my question, though:

WHEN IS Bond's 'prime'???

http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... ba01.shtml

He hit 46 homers at age 28. Between the usual 'prime ages' of 27-33, Bonds consistenly hit 30-40 HRs and stole 20-30 bases.

Then he got hurt in 99 at age 34 and came back as the 'Home Run machine' he's known for now.

So which era is his prime? When he was 27-33 and (likely) steroid free, or after he started juicing and padded his stats?

Post subject: Re: TROLL ALERT!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:58 am 

Colin21 wrote:
Animal wrote:
palushock wrote:
Parker does not belong in the hall of name, and neither does Jim Rice.

The thing that puzzles me, is how after some 15 years after he retired, now he is worthy enough to be elected?.
It's a freaking sham, but i am sure Peter(i got pee soup on my chin) Gammons, absolutely believes Rice is hall worthy. That right there is enough evidence, for the slow minded, such as the original poster.
Parker compared to Bonds(Barry), not Bobby, well there is no comparison.
In Bond's Pirate career, he never took a seaon off, like Parker did. I remember him coming to spring training one year, and the Press couldn't get enough of how much of a Gorilla he turned into. I am referring to his weight, and lack of conditioning, if anyone wants to relate the Gorilla comment to being racist.
Besides that, soon after Parker turned to doing ton's of blow, hence the Pittsburgh drug trials, which he was one of the keynote speakers.
Bonds could hit everyone, and everywhere.
Parker VS Bonds, against lefty pitching is no comparison. Bonds never gave an inch, Parker flailed his arms like he was having a seizure.
Anyone who thinks Rice is a hall of famer(and Parker also), must be the sipping on the DROOL AID that exit's Peter Gammons cold sores, i am sure the original thread starter would fall into that category, how about you?

I really think it is time for you to find a psychiatrist. You have some kind of deep-seeded anger, and unable to have any kind of civil debate. I think you are in serious need of some help.

Hey palushock maybe we can carpool to anger management :lol:

When is your next therapy session? You live near slickville?, take that dope animoll with you, i am sure he will be entertaining, the way he can peel a banana with his feet!!!!
Just hope you are 12, for his sake! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:09 am 

Dave Parker was a beast in his prime. I believe he is deserved of the hall.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:17 am 

Since Rice is in, I say Parker deserves it, too. Parker was every bit the player Rice was. I think we'll see more guys with lesser numbers from past eras start getting more consideration due to steroid inflated numbers. Parker got way out of shape due to injuries towards the end of his time in Pittsburgh when things got ugly. That's not to defend his penchant for the nose candy, but it also factors in to why things went so wrong for him in Pitt. Show me one of his teammates that says anything negative about the Cobra and his lack of conditioning. In fact, it was just the opposite in that they marveled at some of the injuries he played through.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:54 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

So, the Bond's argument is... he took the better drugs?

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:56 am 

ZelieMike wrote:
So, the Bond's argument is... he took the better drugs?

ZM

One took their drugs through their nose, while the other took it in the buttocks...Which is better?

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:32 am 

Animal wrote:
Ryann wrote:

Did you ever see Parker play? Then how can you make this judgement. Parker was hands down among the top few all around players in the league for several years.

Um, did you ever see Bonds play? The man lead the league in walks AND homeruns in one year. The guy was unstoppable at his peak.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:55 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Ummm... did you ever see Parker play?

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:59 pm 

Willton wrote:
Animal wrote:
Ryann wrote:

Um, did you ever see Bonds play? The man lead the league in walks AND homeruns in one year. The guy was unstoppable at his peak.

Yeah, if you like cheaters...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:36 pm 

Animal wrote:

Yeah, if you like cheaters...

Um, Dave Parker actually testified in open court that Willie Stargell and Willie Mays supplied him with illegal amphetamines. So there's more evidence that Parker "cheated" than Bonds did. (Cheated is in quotes there because neither amphetamines nor steroids were against baseball's rules when Parker/Bonds partook of them. And please, for the love of God, don't make the ridiculous "but they were illegal" argument...the list of illegal things that ball players have done on the field stretches on for miles and back to the beginnings of the game.)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:17 pm 

True story JB. Find the Willie Stargell book "Out of Leftfield". Greenie use was rampant in MLB for many many years. I could never understand it. I don't know how guys coluld play baseball when wired for sound. Interesting that playing without speed is called playing naked too.

Post subject: Excellent Book!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:24 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
True story JB. Find the Willie Stargell book "Out of Leftfield". Greenie use was rampant in MLB for many many years. I could never understand it. I don't know how guys coluld play baseball when wired for sound. Interesting that playing without speed is called playing naked too.

"Out in Left Field" is an excellent book, but really doesn't shed a good light on our favorite players.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:35 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

jaybee24 wrote:
Um, Dave Parker actually testified in open court that Willie Stargell and Willie Mays supplied him with illegal amphetamines. So there's more evidence that Parker "cheated" than Bonds did. (Cheated is in quotes there because neither amphetamines nor steroids were against baseball's rules when Parker/Bonds partook of them. And please, for the love of God, don't make the ridiculous "but they were illegal" argument...the list of illegal things that ball players have done on the field stretches on for miles and back to the beginnings of the game.)

No, but please quite equivocating those. The performance side is not even friggin close. Bond's stature grew at a time and age with Parker was entering retiremnt due to age.

If Parker had used his butt the same way Bond's did, he might still be playing!

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:59 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
jaybee24 wrote:

No, but please quite equivocating those. The performance side is not even friggin close. Bond's stature grew at a time and age with Parker was entering retiremnt due to age.

If Parker had used his butt the same way Bond's did, he might still be playing!

ZM

Cheating is cheating, ZM; how it is done should not matter.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:03 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Right, because that is why we throw jaywalkers in maximum security prisons. That is why we make no distinction in degree of crime... because "cheating is cheating"..

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:14 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Right, because that is why we throw jaywalkers in maximum security prisons. That is why we make no distinction in degree of crime... because "cheating is cheating"..

ZM

This isn't the criminal justice system, ZM. This is baseball. Players don't cheat by breaking the law; they cheat by breaking the rules. And last I checked, amphetamines are on the same banned substances list as steroids.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:24 pm 

Willton wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:

ZM

This isn't the criminal justice system, ZM. This is baseball. Players don't cheat by breaking the law; they cheat by breaking the rules. And last I checked, amphetamines are on the same banned substances list as steroids.

Alot of the ways mentioned in how the players cheated did break the law also because the substances are illegal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next