Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why Not This Guy???
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:33 pm 

Okay, Jim Rice was inducted into the Hall of Fame today.

In 16 seasons, he hit .298 with 2452 hits, 382 HR, 1451 RBI, 1249 Runs, 79 Triples, 373 doubles, and 58 SB.
He played in 8 AS games, won 1 MVP award, finished in Top 10 for MVP 6 times, 2 silver sluggers. He played in 2 playoff series and 1 World Series (which his team lost). hitting .225 in 18 playoff games with 2 HR and 7 RBI.

This guy...

played 19 seasons. hit .290 with 2712 hits, 339 Home Runs, 1493 RBI, 1272 Runs, 75 Triples, 526 doubles, and 154 SB.
He played in 7 AS games (winning MVP once), won 2 MVPs (finishing in Top 10, 6 times), 3 Silver Sluggers, 3 Gold Gloves. He played in 8 playoff series, including 3 World Series (winning 2). He hit .234 in post season with 3 HR and 11 RBI. He also was one of the most feared players in the majors during his time, and his OF arm was unparalleled by anyone except perhaps Clemente.

Why isn't this guy getting into the Hall of Fame? His name??

THE COBRA!

Post subject: Re: Why Not This Guy???
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:41 pm 

I just think Dave Parker was a step below Jim Rice. It is close, but Rice plays 3 years less than Parker and put up equal career numbers and better in all stat catagories besides stolen bases.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:44 pm 

No love for Will Pennyfeather? He belongs in the All-Name Hall of Fame.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:30 pm 

Colin21 wrote:
I just think Dave Parker was a step below Jim Rice. It is close, but Rice plays 3 years less than Parker and put up equal career numbers and better in all stat catagories besides stolen bases.

Colin. I know you are young, so I know you probably never seen Dave Parker play, especially in his prime. You have to consider more than just offense when making an evaluation like this. Parker was a monster. He had the best arm in the league while he played. He was probably the most complete player in the majors from 76-80.

I know the numbers look pretty close, and that Parker had a few more years to accumulate them, but all things considered, I believe from SEEING both play, that if Rice belongs in the Hall (and I believe he does), then Parker belongs in the hall.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:33 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

If the Cobra had had a RF corner like Rice had in LF... it wouldn't even be close.

Rice could not play in the field like Parker. Not close.

I imagine the Pittsburgh Drug Trials are doing their part to keep Parker out.

ZM

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:34 pm 

Because Rice shouldn't have made it either. He only got in on the sympathy ticket because I think he ran out of eligibility.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:36 pm 

urbanexplorer wrote:
Because Rice shouldn't have made it either. He only got in on the sympathy ticket because I think he ran out of eligibility.

That is kind of what i was thinking. I don't think either of them should be in. It isn't that i don't think Dave Parker was good, i just don't think he should be in the Hall of Fame, nor do i think Jim Rice should be.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:37 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

In his prime, Parker was better than Bonds.

ZM

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:53 pm 

Absolutely, he was.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:02 pm 

No way. Bonds was better in his prime years then Parker.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:05 pm 

Animal wrote:

In 16 seasons, he hit .298 with 2452 hits, 382 HR, 1451 RBI, 1249 Runs, 79 Triples, 373 doubles, and 58 SB.
He played in 8 AS games, won 1 MVP award, finished in Top 10 for MVP 6 times, 2 silver sluggers. He played in 2 playoff series and 1 World Series (which his team lost). hitting .225 in 18 playoff games with 2 HR and 7 RBI.

This guy...

played 19 seasons. hit .290 with 2712 hits, 339 Home Runs, 1493 RBI, 1272 Runs, 75 Triples, 526 doubles, and 154 SB.
He played in 7 AS games (winning MVP once), won 2 MVPs (finishing in Top 10, 6 times), 3 Silver Sluggers, 3 Gold Gloves. He played in 8 playoff series, including 3 World Series (winning 2). He hit .234 in post season with 3 HR and 11 RBI. He also was one of the most feared players in the majors during his time, and his OF arm was unparalleled by anyone except perhaps Clemente.

THE COBRA!

Dave Parker only won one MVP award...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:11 pm 

Ryann wrote:

I must agree here, but this could be the battle of generations.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:22 pm 

Ryann wrote:

Did you ever see Parker play? Then how can you make this judgement. Parker was hands down among the top few all around players in the league for several years.

He was WAY better than Bonds was.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:24 pm 

jaybee24 wrote:
Animal wrote:

This guy...

THE COBRA!

Dave Parker only won one MVP award...

You're right. My apologies...he wan MVP in '78 and AS game MVP in '79. He finished second once and third twice.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:40 pm 

difference between Parker and Bonds?...if Parker was playing LF for us in '92...Bream is out by 3 steps and the Bucs go to the series. No question about that. Nice throw Barry...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:53 pm 

Animal wrote:
Ryann wrote:

Did you ever see Parker play? Then how can you make this judgement. Parker was hands down among the top few all around players in the league for several years.

He was WAY better than Bonds was.

Bonds was the most feared hitter maybe ever. It may have been fake, but he had a 73 homerun season. He racked up a lot of rbi's, and pitcher would intentionally walk him with the basesloaded. No one wanted to pitch to this guy, most walks in a season, and most feared hitter ever. He was much better then parker in his prime.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:59 pm 

ParrotLuv wrote:
difference between Parker and Bonds?...if Parker was playing LF for us in '92...Bream is out by 3 steps and the Bucs go to the series. No question about that. Nice throw Barry...

Maybe so, but you can't match careers on one throw.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:05 pm 

Also the power of video has allowed us younger guys to watch Dave Parker play. Hell i think i have watched every game that was ever on TV, but i didn't start watching live games until 1991. I even have some radio tapes back from the 30's and 40's. My dad was 52 and my mom was 36 when i was born in 1987 so my dad has a large collection from back in the day. I also have alot of tapes from my older brothers also. I also have learned alot about baseball from Ken Burns. I don't know if anybody out there knows who he is but i have all his videos. His videos are amazing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:26 pm 

Parker does not belong in the hall of name, and neither does Jim Rice.

The thing that puzzles me, is how after some 15 years after he retired, now he is worthy enough to be elected?.
It's a freaking sham, but i am sure Peter(i got pee soup on my chin) Gammons, absolutely believes Rice is hall worthy. That right there is enough evidence, for the slow minded, such as the original poster.
Parker compared to Bonds(Barry), not Bobby, well there is no comparison.
In Bond's Pirate career, he never took a seaon off, like Parker did. I remember him coming to spring training one year, and the Press couldn't get enough of how much of a Gorilla he turned into. I am referring to his weight, and lack of conditioning, if anyone wants to relate the Gorilla comment to being racist.
Besides that, soon after Parker turned to doing ton's of blow, hence the Pittsburgh drug trials, which he was one of the keynote speakers.
Bonds could hit everyone, and everywhere.
Parker VS Bonds, against lefty pitching is no comparison. Bonds never gave an inch, Parker flailed his arms like he was having a seizure.
Anyone who thinks Rice is a hall of famer(and Parker also), must be the sipping on the DROOL AID that exit's Peter Gammons cold sores, i am sure the original thread starter would fall into that category, how about you?

Post subject: TROLL ALERT!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:38 pm 

palushock wrote:
Parker does not belong in the hall of name, and neither does Jim Rice.

The thing that puzzles me, is how after some 15 years after he retired, now he is worthy enough to be elected?.
It's a freaking sham, but i am sure Peter(i got pee soup on my chin) Gammons, absolutely believes Rice is hall worthy. That right there is enough evidence, for the slow minded, such as the original poster.
Parker compared to Bonds(Barry), not Bobby, well there is no comparison.
In Bond's Pirate career, he never took a seaon off, like Parker did. I remember him coming to spring training one year, and the Press couldn't get enough of how much of a Gorilla he turned into. I am referring to his weight, and lack of conditioning, if anyone wants to relate the Gorilla comment to being racist.
Besides that, soon after Parker turned to doing ton's of blow, hence the Pittsburgh drug trials, which he was one of the keynote speakers.
Bonds could hit everyone, and everywhere.
Parker VS Bonds, against lefty pitching is no comparison. Bonds never gave an inch, Parker flailed his arms like he was having a seizure.
Anyone who thinks Rice is a hall of famer(and Parker also), must be the sipping on the DROOL AID that exit's Peter Gammons cold sores, i am sure the original thread starter would fall into that category, how about you?

I really think it is time for you to find a psychiatrist. You have some kind of deep-seeded anger, and unable to have any kind of civil debate. I think you are in serious need of some help.