Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: This must be corrected soon......
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:17 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
jaybee24 wrote:

2. Regarding "small ball," let me get this straight...we're not scoring runs as it is, so to rectify that, we're supposed to intentionally give up outs? What?! How does that work?

The bigger problem is not "small ball" v. "big ball." It is that the Pirates offense doesn't put itself in a position to do either. If they were getting 8 or 9 singles a game and not scoring runs, that is one thing. It is wholly another thing to be shut out on a mere four hits. Even employing small ball tactics is not going to put runs on the board with such an anemic performance.

Regarding "small ball" philosophy . . . I love 3, 4 and 5 run innings. A lot. Love 'em. I just realize that such innings are far too rare to have a reasonable expectation that they will "eventually" occur in a game. Go back over the games over the last month and look at the number of innings where the Bucs scored more than one run. Such innings occur at a rate of less than one per game and the majority of those innings involve a mere 2 run "outburst."

As of now, "big" innings are fiction, fantasy and whimsical. You might get one every third day or every fourth day. In the meantime, you'll lose the other games. So . . . if (and its a big IF) you can manufacture a run in 3 or 4 innings a game and one of those innings involves manufacturing 2 runs (gasp!!), you've got a much better chance of winning than if you sit around hoping for a 3 run, 4 run or 5 run rally. They ain't the Yankees . . . the offense simply isn't there right now.

Get Doumit rolling, get Adam LaRoche hitting like its July and not April, get Andy LaRoche back on track . . . different story . . . better chances to score. Until then, being creative may not be such a bad ploy.

NL teams are scoring 4.45 runs per game at home on average this season. The Pirates are scoring 4.47 per game at home, which adjusts to about 4.70 taking into account that 5% fewer runs are scored at PNC. The Pirates have an above average offense at home...tinkering with that in response to a couple offensively anemic games doesn't make a lot of sense.

If we're going to talk an overhaul of offensive strategy at all, we should discuss what the Pirates can do to score more runs on the road, where they're scoring 3.91 runs per game compared to the league average of 4.38.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:37 pm 

jaybee24 wrote:
No. 9 wrote:
jaybee24 wrote:

2. Regarding "small ball," let me get this straight...we're not scoring runs as it is, so to rectify that, we're supposed to intentionally give up outs? What?! How does that work?

The bigger problem is not "small ball" v. "big ball." It is that the Pirates offense doesn't put itself in a position to do either. If they were getting 8 or 9 singles a game and not scoring runs, that is one thing. It is wholly another thing to be shut out on a mere four hits. Even employing small ball tactics is not going to put runs on the board with such an anemic performance.

Regarding "small ball" philosophy . . . I love 3, 4 and 5 run innings. A lot. Love 'em. I just realize that such innings are far too rare to have a reasonable expectation that they will "eventually" occur in a game. Go back over the games over the last month and look at the number of innings where the Bucs scored more than one run. Such innings occur at a rate of less than one per game and the majority of those innings involve a mere 2 run "outburst."

As of now, "big" innings are fiction, fantasy and whimsical. You might get one every third day or every fourth day. In the meantime, you'll lose the other games. So . . . if (and its a big IF) you can manufacture a run in 3 or 4 innings a game and one of those innings involves manufacturing 2 runs (gasp!!), you've got a much better chance of winning than if you sit around hoping for a 3 run, 4 run or 5 run rally. They ain't the Yankees . . . the offense simply isn't there right now.

Get Doumit rolling, get Adam LaRoche hitting like its July and not April, get Andy LaRoche back on track . . . different story . . . better chances to score. Until then, being creative may not be such a bad ploy.

NL teams are scoring 4.45 runs per game at home on average this season. The Pirates are scoring 4.47 per game at home, which adjusts to about 4.70 taking into account that 5% fewer runs are scored at PNC. The Pirates have an above average offense at home...tinkering with that in response to a couple offensively anemic games doesn't make a lot of sense.

If we're going to talk an overhaul of offensive strategy at all, we should discuss what the Pirates can do to score more runs on the road, where they're scoring 3.91 runs per game compared to the league average of 4.38.

Frankly, I could care less what their average is over the whole season. Just as I could care less about what the "Expected" W-L should be according to some formula.
Today's outburst notwithstanding, this team has put very few crooked numbers on the board over the last month. Figuring out a way to score home/away/moon/Mars when the team is collectively hitting like crap is not a bad ploy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:44 pm 

No. 9 wrote:

Frankly, I could care less what their average is over the whole season. Just as I could care less about what the "Expected" W-L should be according to some formula.
Today's outburst notwithstanding, this team has put very few crooked numbers on the board over the last month. Figuring out a way to score home/away/moon/Mars when the team is collectively hitting like crap is not a bad ploy.

And for most of July, they've been on the road, where they are demonstrably worse. Tinkering with strategy based on normal variation is not a way to win in the long term.