Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:08 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: This must be corrected soon......
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:44 am 

The consistently inconsistent offense has become IMO unacceptable. These guys are getting paid big $$$$$ to produce and they are not.

Some dismal stats:

9 Shutouts so far this season!
15 games where they only managed to score one run! :?
6 games where they scored two runs.

In those 30 games that they have lost, this anemic Pirate offense has scored a grand total of 21 runs. :shock: That's sad.

And with many of these games, the Pirates have struggled with pitchers possessing average ERA's or even higher than average ERA's. Looper, going into last night's game, had an ERA of 4.84. Was he really that good last night? I don't think so.

Even Steve Blass let the offense have it after the game last night along with Teke.

How the Pirates approach scoring runs, if there IS an approach, ain't working.

The Pirates need to begin to manufacture more runs. If you want to label that as "small ball", then fine it is what it is. There is no way these Pirates can consistently score 4 or 5 or 6 runs every game and play power offense. There is some power in the lineup, but not enough consistent power to win a ton of games.

And this has to take it's toll on our starting pitchers. It's up to the manager and coaches to find a way to get more production out their players. The strength of this team is defense, then starting pitching, and then the bullpen. The offense has failed miserably. Every Pirate needs to share in the blame for that. And the manager and coaches must also.

Post subject: Re: This must be corrected soon......
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:44 am 

bassoondirector wrote:
..... These guys are getting paid big $$$$$ to produce and they are not.... It's up to the manager and coaches to find a way to get more production out their players. The offense has failed miserably. Every Pirate needs to share in the blame for that. And the manager and coaches must also.

The coach/manager does not put the team together. It starts from owner down to GM. Point fingers at them....the budget boys.
Bottom payroll team in case you need reminded.
When you say this must be corrected soon, what will you do if its not?(like the past 17 years)
You will do nothing...you will support whatever they do...and you know it!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:21 am 

i think you are completely right bassoon...

About the small ball, if you not have enough power (consistantly) in your line-up, you need to manufacture runs,
get out of double plays more, sacrafice the streaking hot/cold power hitters..
Escpecially when u have McCutch leading of and doing a nice job, let him be more aggressive (is BJ Upton this faster?)
How much of a difference is batting 2nd with a runner on 2nd instead of 1st..

Those fluke games with +5 runs are a kind of gift when everything connects...

Like bassoon said, there is nothing wrong with this years pirates starting pitching overall, the bullpenn is doing
unexpected well, but a none-offense is killing it, Look at Duke, Maholm (maybe a few bad outings), but these would be
NL studs when they had some more run support, and at least already 10 game winners..

Most of us see positive things in what NH does and the piling up of the minors, and lately i love to check the
boxscores of Altoona & Indy.. maybe there is not the guy who excells directly in his 1st year, but i trult believe in Andy Laroche to become above average, i love McCutch and he will get better, Look at Tabata, Gorkys, Pedro and on and on.. and some minor pitching... we used to have completely nothing, IT TAKES TIME, and that is after 17 years hard to swallow, but it will come...

The only point i DO not like is the choice of Skipper the pirates make.. I do not care if he is nice, or if he is hard on them, it has nothing to do with succes in the minors (i would have become a winner to when i would be in the brewers or phils minors to for 3/4 years back).. I have no problem with JR, but i have also completely nothing with him.. and yes.. JR is not the man who makes the trades and signings, but he makes the desicion on the field and they are far below average.. He makes so many small mistakes, what finally cost runs.. examples? look at this boards topics.. and nobody here is THE skipper, but eyes do not discieve (fuck... sometimes being dutch sucks, i do not know how to spel this word correct)

This team needs a veteran skipper, who can handle young kids and makes them feel better then where they already are.. and if that way is being hard, tough, weak or sweet... it takes years of experience.. that is whats lacking JR..
really Major League Experience.. (see Joe Kerrigan, this is his work)

ow.. and if the pirates wanna be more competitive.. still money is a HUGE issue too... if the Pirates want to compete, they have to increase payroll.. else the needed help from outside (what every succesfull team needs)
is not possible... look at history, exceptions always there

i am dunno, sorry for the sometimes grammer mistakes.. but in dutch it would be harder to understand..

Greetz from the DUTCH guy ;)

p.s. Piratesfan.from.nl aka the Dutch guy officialy thinks CIA-board truly are douchebags no.1
(so nice to be dutch: Kankerlijers zonder Ruggengraat - Something about their brains)

sorry board if i am to cruel

CHEERIO

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:46 am 

estrago wrote:
bassoondirector wrote:
..... These guys are getting paid big $$$$$ to produce and they are not.... It's up to the manager and coaches to find a way to get more production out their players. The offense has failed miserably. Every Pirate needs to share in the blame for that. And the manager and coaches must also.

The coach/manager does not put the team together. It starts from owner down to GM. Point fingers at them....the budget boys.
Bottom payroll team in case you need reminded.
When you say this must be corrected soon, what will you do if its not?(like the past 17 years)
You will do nothing...you will support whatever they do...and you know it!

Are there any other thoughts in your head. Must you continuelly harp on the same theme. Always,always,always... give it a break. No wonder people find you offensive. Go away. Go to the let's hate the Pirates board and share with like people.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:54 am 

Substitute2 wrote:
Are there any other thoughts in your head. Must you continuelly harp on the same theme. Always,always,always... give it a break. No wonder people find you offensive. Go away. Go to the let's hate the Pirates board and share with like people.

Lets see..17 consecutive years of losing...must they harp on the same theme?....always, always always...do you not find that offensive?
Please answer the question....When you say this must be corrected soon, what will you do if its not?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:54 am 

I love Ryan Doumit- I really do. I just don't think he could hit 20 HRs in a healthy full season. Yet people think he's a middle of the order hitter. Adam LaRoche is at the point in his career where he simply has to cut down that swing, or he's done. Little Brother? Well, he's hitting an awful lot like a middle infielder. I wonder if there's any possible way he could play second. It's not like he's a Troy Glaus or Scott Rolen body type third baseman.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:12 am 
 WWW  Profile

PiratesFan.from.NL, I love your posts! The broken English is great!

November 22, 2014 11:00 AM
Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:26 am 

IA Pirate wrote:
PiratesFan.from.NL, I love your posts! The broken English is great!

I agree IA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:46 am 

haha.. thanks ;)

i guess, when i should take the time, it would be better, but when i am writing, i get pumped up, and i am going to fast..

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:33 am 

While I agree that the offense isn't great, a couple of points here...

1. The Pirates play in PNC park, where fewer runs are scored relative to other parks. Believe it or not, the Pirates actually have a league average offense when you take that into account. The offense has been better than the pitching this year relative to the rest of the league.

2. Regarding "small ball," let me get this straight...we're not scoring runs as it is, so to rectify that, we're supposed to intentionally give up outs? What?! How does that work?

3. Regarding JR, he can't go out and swing the bats for them. He also doesn't make personnel decisions. He has control over the lineup and pitching changes. The only possible argument about JR is that he's not putting his best hitting lineup out there, but obviously that's not true. It's not like we have a bunch of .900 OPS guys riding the bench.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:41 am 

jaybee24 wrote:
Regarding JR, he can't go out and swing the bats for them. He also doesn't make personnel decisions. He has control over the lineup and pitching changes. The only possible argument about JR is that he's not putting his best hitting lineup out there, but obviously that's not true. It's not like we have a bunch of .900 OPS guys riding the bench.

The owner and GM have dealt the manger his hand. There is not much he can do nor past managers. You need talent, you need to retain talent. The manager does not do that If it is not corrected soon what can you do?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:49 am 

jaybee24 wrote:

2. Regarding "small ball," let me get this straight...we're not scoring runs as it is, so to rectify that, we're supposed to intentionally give up outs? What?! How does that work?

The bigger problem is not "small ball" v. "big ball." It is that the Pirates offense doesn't put itself in a position to do either. If they were getting 8 or 9 singles a game and not scoring runs, that is one thing. It is wholly another thing to be shut out on a mere four hits. Even employing small ball tactics is not going to put runs on the board with such an anemic performance.

Regarding "small ball" philosophy . . . I love 3, 4 and 5 run innings. A lot. Love 'em. I just realize that such innings are far too rare to have a reasonable expectation that they will "eventually" occur in a game. Go back over the games over the last month and look at the number of innings where the Bucs scored more than one run. Such innings occur at a rate of less than one per game and the majority of those innings involve a mere 2 run "outburst."

As of now, "big" innings are fiction, fantasy and whimsical. You might get one every third day or every fourth day. In the meantime, you'll lose the other games. So . . . if (and its a big IF) you can manufacture a run in 3 or 4 innings a game and one of those innings involves manufacturing 2 runs (gasp!!), you've got a much better chance of winning than if you sit around hoping for a 3 run, 4 run or 5 run rally. They ain't the Yankees . . . the offense simply isn't there right now.

Get Doumit rolling, get Adam LaRoche hitting like its July and not April, get Andy LaRoche back on track . . . different story . . . better chances to score. Until then, being creative may not be such a bad ploy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:59 am 

estrago wrote:
If it is not corrected soon what can you do?

Become an internet troll?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:07 pm 

There is nothing that can be done immediately to solve the problem. The only solution is for development of young kids to happen and then some better offense will be there.

This is the same argument over and over, just phrased differently.

Bottem line is we are not very good and all of us know it. So, relax, hope for the best and a few wins as we wait for 2011. SP looks to be getting more solid by the day. That came from draft and trades that developed in most cases. Offense needs the same evolution and can't be bought.

yes, I am also frustrated but in the end I also know what you know, we must be patient.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:09 pm 

Argentum wrote:
estrago wrote:

I sooooo hate that the "foe" function is trumped by the "quote" function.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:10 pm 

Argentum wrote:
estrago wrote:

Or post Pictures in your signature section so large that each one liner post you make takes up 3/4 of the screen...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:13 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Argentum wrote:
estrago wrote:

Me too, but sometimes you gotta pay to play.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:21 pm 

Argentum wrote:
No. 9 wrote:
Argentum wrote:

Me too, but sometimes you gotta pay to play.

Looks like you got an ace in the hole to go with the board resident a$$hole...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:22 pm 

"This must be corrected soon"
or what?

Fletcher: You know what I am going to do about this?
Motorpool Guy: what?
Fletcher: Nothing! Because if I take it to small claims court, it will just drain 8 hours out of my life and you probably won't show up and even if I got the judgment you'd just stiff me anyway; so what I am going to do is piss and moan like an impotent jerk, and then bend over and take it up the tailpipe!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:30 pm 

I am no fan of sacrifice bunting, unless it's the pitcher doing the bunting. Nor do I care for the hit and run, unless it's a true base stealer you are sending.

But one thing I wish we would do more of is bunt for base hits. Baseball in general has gone away from this, and I think they are wrong for doing so.

Even when you have a lefty at the plate and the third baseman moves over to the shortstop position, he still won't take the easy single.

We need more baserunners, and that's one way we could get them.