Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I call "bulls__t"
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:30 pm 

From DK's blog today:

4:55 p.m.: Here is some of what Wilson had to say: "The contract offer was given to my agent, he forwarded it to me and, at that point, I really didn't look into it too much. I let them know I'm interested in staying a Pirate, I always have loved putting this jersey on every day and have done it for nine years. The direction of the team is what's most important, and breaking the streak is what's most important. And I think, without Freddy, that would be pretty tough to do, we'd be taking a step backward. ... We are both very interested in being Pirates. It is a negotiation, and it definitely shouldn't be a public thing, which it has kind of turned into. That's fine though, I guess. I don't think it's dead, though. I think all sides are still willing to talk and, hopefully, we can get something out of it."

4:59 p.m.: And here is Sanchez: "I didn't know it was negotiable. I think we all thought that we couldn't even make a counter-offer. But I also think now that we might have had a miscommunication. That's fine. I'm leaving it all up to my agent."

Didn't think that he could make a counter-offer???? C'mon. That's simply ridiculous.
Negotiation shouldn't be a public thing???? All right . . . who took it to the media? Pirates or player's agent?

Post subject: Re: I call "bulls__t"
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:37 pm 

Whatever it is, we are not getting a straight story here. If the history of this FO is of any consequence, I find it hard to think that they would leak it to the press. I think the agents leaked it. As far as negotiable, unless the team said this is it, take it or leave it, anything is negotiable. These comments by the players lead me to believe that this deal is not dead by any means. Just my humble opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:39 pm 

In what Freddy said i do think he said something that he meant.

Quote:
I'm leaving

Last edited by Colin21 on Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:40 pm 

If Jack is so dumb that he doesn't know you can make counter-offers, then he deserves the 1 year, $1 million dollar deal he's going to get on the open market (if he's lucky).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:49 pm 

For what it's worth, No. 9, I'm pretty sure Sanchez's agent, Paul Cobbe, is not a lawyer. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:54 pm 

Either he or his partner Sosnick is. One of them made their initial bank in the software business.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:56 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Whatever it is, we are not getting a straight story here. If the history of this FO is of any consequence, I find it hard to think that they would leak it to the press. I think the agents leaked it. As far as negotiable, unless the team said this is it, take it or leave it, anything is negotiable. These comments by the players lead me to believe that this deal is not dead by any means. Just my humble opinion.

Az -
This cannot be a publicity ploy by the Pirates' management: (A) that is not their MO; (B) it just doesn't make sense.

If, as suggested elsewhere, Nutting, Coonelly or Huntington planned on going to the media to make themselves look good and the players bad, then the players and/or their agents would reveal the numbers at that point to counter Bucco management.

Even if it was "take it or leave it" anything is negotiable. If I had a dime for every time I had someone with whom I am negotiating back off of a "final" demand, "take it or leave it" offer or this is "it" comment, I'd be a rich man. Everything (especially player contracts) is negotiable.

I agree with you on the "leak." If I had to bet my house . . . this was brought to the media's attention by Freddy's agent.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:57 pm 

Willton wrote:
For what it's worth, No. 9, I'm pretty sure Sanchez's agent, Paul Cobbe, is not a lawyer. ;)

There are those who may not think that not being a member of the bar is such a bad thing. Maybe some mere mortals can actually make deals.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:59 pm 

Willton wrote:

Some of the toughest and most brutal negotiators with whom I've dealt have never sniffed law school. I just can't believe any agent - lawyer or business person - doesn't understand the basics of negotiations.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:12 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Oh, I'm pretty sure they do.

Can you say "strategery"...

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:49 pm 

This is a 'revolt'en development' --- Riley from the 50's sit com "Life of Riley"

Bet few of you ever heard of that oldie goldie from my youth.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:11 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Willton wrote:

Some of the toughest and most brutal negotiators with whom I've dealt have never sniffed law school. I just can't believe any agent - lawyer or business person - doesn't understand the basics of negotiations.

So why would you say in public that the SS you may trade is a below average hitter? Reward your 2nd basemen with an offer you know will be rejected because you thought so highly of him? Some one needs to inform this GM that you try to prop up the players abilities when trying to trade them, not devalue them. Negotiation 101.

Wilson and Sanchez should be counting down the days until they exit this Mickey Mouse organization.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:13 pm 

The offer was given Friday, I'm wondering if it was a matter of confusion based on it being given on a weekend and then playing a Saturday Night game followed by a day game Sunday and not getting a chance to talk to their agents for an extended period of time?

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:03 pm 

William Bendix as Riles.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:35 pm 

Boy, AZ can't get anything by you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:41 pm 

The few, the proud, the old.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:53 pm 

Yes, but at least you still have a mind. I fade in and out all the time.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:53 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
The few, the proud, the old.

Growing in number every day...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:09 pm 

Oh trust me, I can fade in and out with the best of them. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:54 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Whaaattt???

ZM