Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Board's Been Pretty Quiet Lately..
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:40 pm 

A couple small debates have ensued with Ryann, but no "knock 'em down, drag em out" arguments.

Funny, I haven't seen any posts from a couple specific posters of late, nobody Dooeeng any Shocking.

Very curious.

Post subject: Re: Board's Been Pretty Quiet Lately..
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:22 pm 

maybe vacation has to do something with it...

at least here in europe it does...

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:26 pm 

The closer you get to football camp opening the quieter this board gets. Unfortunately the Pirates have become something folks follow when the penguins and steelers aren't playing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:36 pm 

MoTownWV wrote:
The closer you get to football camp opening the quieter this board gets. Unfortunately the Pirates have become something folks follow when the penguins and steelers aren't playing.

strange ;)

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:46 am 

... but true

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:06 pm 

Doesn't seem quiet to me. In fact I would say that traffic is fairly heavy. I missed a couple of days due to travel and the board was full of stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:08 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Doesn't seem quiet to me. In fact I would say that traffic is fairly heavy. I missed a couple of days due to travel and the board was full of stuff.

Az goes on trip to SoCal, I spend a few days at a rental place on the beach, and the board goes to hell. The rest of you guys really need to step it up.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:16 pm 

What more is there to say??

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:41 pm 

My personal opinion is that activity has tailed off primarily because of how threads have evolved over the past 4-6 weeks. At least from my perspective, I see (more often than ever before) threads getting hijacked due to a variety of posters' demonstrating a proclivity to pound a particular issue into the ground.

There is also likely diminished activity due to the pre-All Star game swoon. This is somewhat consistent with history but I really think that the decrease is likely directly correlated wtih the evolution of the posting.

I, for one, never had anyone's posts blocked before this year. The count is now up to 5 people "blocked" on my account . . . I analogize this place to a "neighborhood pub" without the drinks. When the patrons are such that I don't enjoy the "conversation," I'm going to visit less frequently. That has definitely happened here. I just don't enjoy the "conversation" as much anymore.

But, hey, places evolve. Its not that I'm looking for a homogenous group by any means. I enjoy banter and debate. However, I'm just not finding the debate here very enjoyable lately. Much less game talk, strategy talk and more "screaming" about Milledge's past and whether Nutting is pocketing billions.

Just my $.02.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:47 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
My personal opinion is that activity has tailed off primarily because of how threads have evolved over the past 4-6 weeks. At least from my perspective, I see (more often than ever before) threads getting hijacked due to a variety of posters' demonstrating a proclivity to pound a particular issue into the ground.

Yep.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:48 pm 

I agree No.9, the increased negativity and countless posts offering the same mindless crap has led me to only peak in and read certain authors.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:51 pm 

I think No.9 is spot on (hopefully I'm not one of the five or he will never know I said that). I have left this board before for long stretches for the very reasons he cites.

I also accept full responsibility for my part in acknowledging some of the hijackers and therefore being a part of the hijacking. I pledge to try to control my inner smart-ass. (You can't really stop it...you can only try to contain it.)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:54 pm 

Argentum wrote:
No. 9 wrote:

Yep.

Ding ding ding, No.9 wins the prize. That is why i have been quiet as of late also.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:26 pm 

No. 9 wrote:

There is also likely diminished activity due to the pre-All Star game swoon. This is somewhat consistent with history but I really think that the decrease is likely directly correlated wtih the evolution of the posting.

I, for one, never had anyone's posts blocked before this year. The count is now up to 5 people "blocked" on my account . . . I analogize this place to a "neighborhood pub" without the drinks. When the patrons are such that I don't enjoy the "conversation," I'm going to visit less frequently. That has definitely happened here. I just don't enjoy the "conversation" as much anymore.

But, hey, places evolve. Its not that I'm looking for a homogenous group by any means. I enjoy banter and debate. However, I'm just not finding the debate here very enjoyable lately. Much less game talk, strategy talk and more "screaming" about Milledge's past and whether Nutting is pocketing billions.

Just my $.02.

Let me take this opportunity to re-state what Bucco Boy stated a while ago: it's not "his" board, nor that of any of the moderators. While no one is a proponent of censoring viewpoints, if there is overwhelming sentiment against a certain behavior, let us know. It's everyone's community.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:17 pm 

Stretching the pub analogy a bit further, if you don't like the conversation at the bar, you can get in an argument or you can move to the table with your friends. I have found myself staying at the bar and arguing too much, but it's hard not to get in a battle of wits with unarmed people.

What i don't want is for the jerks at the bar to take over the place altogether so that I don't even want to come in to the pub anymore. That's when it's time to call the bouncers.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:52 pm 

Steve1118 wrote:
What more is there to say??

Copy and Paste

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:21 am 

No. 9 wrote:
I, for one, never had anyone's posts blocked before this year. The count is now up to 5 people "blocked" on my account . .

How does one block a poster anyway? You go to the User Control Panel and do what? I'm weeding through threads right now. Also, is there anyone like me who has not opened every thread since this board was opened? I have missed hundreds of threads.. sorting through them now.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:33 am 

Ollie wrote:
How does one block a poster anyway? You go to the User Control Panel and do what? I'm weeding through threads right now. Also, is there anyone like me who has not opened every thread since this board was opened? I have missed hundreds of threads.. sorting through them now.

UCP>>Friends and Foes (bottom of left hand column)>>Manage Foes>>enter user name(s)>>submit

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.