Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:39 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Excellent Interview with NH
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:59 pm 

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/neal-huntington-interview/=20

Solidified all the positions I have argued on this board with other members concerning the way this team has been handled the past year under new leadership.

Post subject: Re: Excellent Interview with NH
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:41 pm 

Yes it is a nice piece. But you and I would have answered aboout the same. I'd say yes I agree but the proof is in the pudding. Let's wait for the draft and the trade deadline to see if we are on the right path or not.

We should all be a little iffey based the the past history but hopeful that this change, this time will be the real deal.

What did you make of the comments about Pierce? I took it to mean that he's going to stay in the minors all year again. The business about re-learning 1st base later this season makes me think that they are simply as suggested trying to keep the FA clock from starting now. That might be the best thing to do, but if so why not be straight up about it and say so. Accountability??

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:15 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
Yes it is a nice piece. But you and I would have answered aboout the same. I'd say yes I agree but the proof is in the pudding. Let's wait for the draft and the trade deadline to see if we are on the right path or not.

We should all be a little iffey based the the past history but hopeful that this change, this time will be the real deal.

What did you make of the comments about Pierce? I took it to mean that he's going to stay in the minors all year again. The business about re-learning 1st base later this season makes me think that they are simply as suggested trying to keep the FA clock from starting now. That might be the best thing to do, but if so why not be straight up about it and say so. Accountability??

They can bring him up in July without starting his FA clock. The truth is that Pearce hasn't done a thing at the plate this year to be worthy of a promotion, and there is no place for him to play at this time, anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:20 pm 

I guess I should have indicated his number of options. Yes?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:06 pm 

Pearce is hardly tearing it up in AAA, I'd say let him play in AAA until July.

The new concern is whether or not LaRoche is EVER going to get out of his slump. Pearce may have to revert back to 1B.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:05 am 

Piratefan13 wrote:
The new concern is whether or not LaRoche is EVER going to get out of his slump. Pearce may have to revert back to 1B.

Apparently to some folks he is already out of it, but is now slipping back to an average around .210 and Luis Rivas is catching up with his whopping amount of HRs.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:35 am 

Piratefan13 wrote:

LaRoche's slump has been over for the better part of a month now, but he did have a bad week last week.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:42 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
Piratefan13 wrote:

LaRoche's slump has been over for the better part of a month now, but he did have a bad week last week.

His slump is over? Are we watching the same LaRoche? He and Mendoza are going to being having a long conversation.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:45 pm 

At what point does playing through it(as I myself had suggested weeks ago), become not an option anymore?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:15 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:
His slump is over? Are we watching the same LaRoche? He and Mendoza are going to being having a long conversation.

I was referring to his annual bad start, which he put behind him in May.. His OPS in April was .505. In May it was .804. He hasn't done anything in June so far.

This isn't necessarily directed at you, but it looks to me that some folks call an 0-4 game from LaRoche a slump worthy of waiving him, but two plus months of flailing at bouncers from Sanchez isn't even worth dropping him in the batting order.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:16 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:
At what point does playing through it(as I myself had suggested weeks ago), become not an option anymore?

When you have a better alternative, or when you can get something of value in return for him.