Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:57 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: The stupid Double Play Stat
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 11:28 pm
Posts: 2170
I am so sick of hearing about this. This is a bad stat if anything, and evertime the Pirates are talked about there is some stupid chirp about how they turn a lot of doubleplays.
We turn doubleplays because we give up baserunners. And the good defense and groundball pitchers have a lot less to do with it.

_________________
0 straight losing seasons


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The stupid Double Play Stat
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:54 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:45 pm
Posts: 1296
Location: Bowie, Md
Ryann wrote:
I am so sick of hearing about this. This is a bad stat if anything, and evertime the Pirates are talked about there is some stupid chirp about how they turn a lot of doubleplays.
We turn doubleplays because we give up baserunners. And the good defense and groundball pitchers have a lot less to do with it.


I am so sick of hearing your analysis. Every time the Pirates make a move or even discuss a move you've got to come on here make new post just to chirp about it. The Pirates are offering Freddy and Jack essentially more money, hence raising payroll over the next few seasons, isn't that what you have been clamoring for? As far as the double play stat, your right, it doesn't give the whole story, I've seen these two guys turn double plays on situations that aren't meant to be double plays, frequently.

Ease of on making new post after new post, its cluttering up the board, your views on this issue could have fitted nicely in the Jack and freddy discussion.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The stupid Double Play Stat
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:50 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 am
Posts: 3641
Location: Economy, PA
Really Ryann, you should find some other things to do with your time.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The stupid Double Play Stat
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:41 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 11:28 pm
Posts: 2170
This has nothing to do with jack and freddy. You do not post any facts in your replies. I never even mentioned resigning jack and freddy.

_________________
0 straight losing seasons


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The stupid Double Play Stat
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:04 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 6266
Ask any pitcher who plays if the double play is a stupid stat.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The stupid Double Play Stat
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:35 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 11:28 pm
Posts: 2170
Az Bucco fan wrote:
Ask any pitcher who plays if the double play is a stupid stat.

They will say it is stupid for the team because they are giving up a lot of baserunners often.

_________________
0 straight losing seasons


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The stupid Double Play Stat
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:47 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
So, Ryann, why don't you demonstrate how many baserunners we are giving up.

How about this? We've given up 317 walks (NL avg is 318) and 765 hits (NL avg is 779). Hardly leading the league in those categories, huh?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The stupid Double Play Stat
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:22 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 11:28 pm
Posts: 2170
BBF wrote:
So, Ryann, why don't you demonstrate how many baserunners we are giving up.

How about this? We've given up 317 walks (NL avg is 318) and 765 hits (NL avg is 779). Hardly leading the league in those categories, huh?

So we are average. You are right that will get us into the playoffs average pitching with a piece of shit offense!

_________________
0 straight losing seasons


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The stupid Double Play Stat
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:03 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
Ryann wrote:
BBF wrote:
So, Ryann, why don't you demonstrate how many baserunners we are giving up.

How about this? We've given up 317 walks (NL avg is 318) and 765 hits (NL avg is 779). Hardly leading the league in those categories, huh?

So we are average. You are right that will get us into the playoffs average pitching with a piece of shit offense!



I didn't say it would get you to the playoffs. But you insinuated that the reason we lead the league in double plays is because we give up too many baserunners. I pointed out that we give up fewer baserunners than the league average. Therefore, there must be another reason we lead the league in double plays.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The stupid Double Play Stat
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:09 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:22 pm
Posts: 2495
BBF wrote:
Therefore, there must be another reason we lead the league in double plays.


Ummmmm, wild guess here, ground balls?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The stupid Double Play Stat
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:13 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 11:28 pm
Posts: 2170
Argentum wrote:
BBF wrote:
Therefore, there must be another reason we lead the league in double plays.


Ummmmm, wild guess here, ground balls?

Why are we bragging about turning doubleplays if we are in last place is my point.

_________________
0 straight losing seasons


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The stupid Double Play Stat
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:16 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
Ryann wrote:
Argentum wrote:
BBF wrote:
Therefore, there must be another reason we lead the league in double plays.


Ummmmm, wild guess here, ground balls?

Why are we bragging about turning doubleplays if we are in last place is my point.


There is no evidence that this is your point in your initial post. The point in your initial post was that we lead the league in double plays because we give up too many baserunners. I refuted your point. So now you have a new point. I get it. Every time you are wrong, just change your argument! :lol:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The stupid Double Play Stat
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10692
Az Bucco fan wrote:
Ask any pitcher who plays if the double play is a stupid stat.

Absolutely it is. I know that when son is pitching, with runners on first and third and one out, the last thing I want is a grounder to SS.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The stupid Double Play Stat
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:50 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 11:28 pm
Posts: 2170
Who cares if we are in last place we are 4th in doubleplays :roll:


LAST PLACE 17 STRAIGHT LOSING SEASONS.

_________________
0 straight losing seasons


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The stupid Double Play Stat
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
BBF, weren't you the one who told me not to egg him on?

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The stupid Double Play Stat
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10692
Ryann wrote:
Who cares if we are in last place we are 4th in doubleplays :roll:

You are clearly onto something here, Ryann. Turning double plays leads to losses. Just look at some of the league leaders in turning double plays:


2. Texas Rangers 100
5. Detroit Tigers 93
6. St. Louis Cardinals 93
7. Toronto Blue Jays 92
9. Los Angeles Angels 87
9. Los Angeles Dodgers 87

What a bunch of crappy teams.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The stupid Double Play Stat
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:53 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
Willton wrote:
BBF, weren't you the one who told me not to egg him on?


Yes.

Mea maxima culpa.

He's just so damn.......stupid. I can't help myself.

I'll stop.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The stupid Double Play Stat
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:45 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 11:28 pm
Posts: 2170
Bucfan wrote:
Ryann wrote:
Who cares if we are in last place we are 4th in doubleplays :roll:

You are clearly onto something here, Ryann. Turning double plays leads to losses. Just look at some of the league leaders in turning double plays:


2. Texas Rangers 100
5. Detroit Tigers 93
6. St. Louis Cardinals 93
7. Toronto Blue Jays 92
9. Los Angeles Angels 87
9. Los Angeles Dodgers 87

What a bunch of crappy teams.

But the pirates are in last?

_________________
0 straight losing seasons


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The stupid Double Play Stat
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:41 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:01 pm
Posts: 5832
Location: Slickville, PA
Thank God we did not get a STUPID Double Play in the 7th.

_________________
"Live proud! Laugh Loud! Standout in a Crowd!"


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The stupid Double Play Stat
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:55 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 11:28 pm
Posts: 2170
Yet I said the stupid stat. You mis quoted me because you cannot understand baseball. I am sick of hearing how good we are at doubleplays when we are in last place.

_________________
0 straight losing seasons


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], LtCol Kojak Slaphead, StarlingArcher, val and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits