Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pirates offer Sanchez/Wilson contract extensions
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:18 pm 

My opinion: Both will sign contracts that do not put an inordinate amount of risk on the Pirates. In other words, medium length, medium dollars contracts. I don't buy the thinking that no-trade clauses are mandatory. Jack is about to become a 5 and 10 player anyway so the point is moot for him.

Both are an injury risk, but if healthy, I don't foresee any dramatic fall-off in production. I also don't see why this has to be a package deal. One could easily sign while the other moves on.

And I don't see this as a stop-gap move. We're trying to sign good players for the next few years. There is no hot prospect on the horizon. This year may be lost, but unlike Smizik and some others, I'm not ready to concede next year.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:52 pm 

My goodness. we have had this argument/discussion for 1 1/2 years now. The only thing that changes is that the argument for building the team gets stronger with each trade. It is the only way to become successful- period.

Does this mean the subject will dominate for the next 1 1/2 years as well. Give it a rest.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:38 am 

I think the reasoning behind getting Jack and Freddy to sign a new, lower, contract is genius. I dont think it is to "suck up" to the fans but a brilliant move to make trading them more attractive. If Jack and Freddy both come down from the high dollar amount both could make next year, a team will be more willing to trade for them.

If they sign or dont sign, I dont think either one will be in a Pirate uniform past the trade deadline next season. And I am comfortable with that, because I am tired of all the half rebuilding the Bucs have been doing for the past 12 years. I say go all in like the Marlins did and get as much out of any marketable player that is not going to be around, and productive, in 2011.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:18 am 

Hope you're right. If it was just a PR move, management has put itself in a bad situation at home and are almost forced to offer more money now because the public is going to demand a serious offer in order to accept them leaving.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:13 pm 

I think it was somewhere in Dejan's chat the other day or in his blog, but the Pirates are saying if Jack would be traded an inhouse candidate for SS would be Freddy...They must think he can handle the throws?

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:14 pm 

I will say this....the outcome of this will be very telling, in a lot of ways.

If Freddie and Jack stay, it will answer a lot of questions. Both have stated they want to stay in Pittsburgh, and both have also vocalized a fatigue with the constant losing. If they sign for less money to stay here, in addition to adding credence to their love of the area, it will also indicate that they believe that the current administration is indeed genuine, and that they might feel they see light at the end of the tunnel. That will be a message to all of us.

So, it is a situation that is worth watching for a lot of reasons.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:35 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
I think it was somewhere in Dejan's chat the other day or in his blog, but the Pirates are saying if Jack would be traded an inhouse candidate for SS would be Freddy...They must think he can handle the throws?

It was in the Q and A chat section. DK was asked who the Pirates have that could take over SS, and he mentioned, in passing, Sanchez. He did not suggest that the Pirates share this view, however.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:43 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
nad69dan wrote:

It was in the Q and A chat section. DK was asked who the Pirates have that could take over SS, and he mentioned, in passing, Sanchez. He did not suggest that the Pirates share this view, however.

Thats right thanks...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...