Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FWIW re: Sano
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:51 pm 

http://twitter.com/jorgearangure/status/2673604182

I don't know who this guy is or his credentials. I don't even get this whole "Twitter" thing. Anyway . . . FWIW.

Post subject: Re: FWIW re: Sano
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:43 pm 

This is worth a lot No. 9. Arangure works for ESPN The Magazine and he is one of the best experts on the Dominican. Here are some of his Tweets over the past several hours:

Bottom line is Sano wants to sign with #Pirates, and agent wants him to sign with whoever offers most $, whether it's Pirates or not

Biggest problem for Sano is that teams that offer most $ (#redsox, #Yankees) don't like dealing with his agent.

Can't overstate how overwhelming this is for the Sanos, a poor family with no experience in biz of baseball. A lot of pressure on them

For me, the gap in $ between #Pirates and everyone else has to be very wide for him to sign elsewhere

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:49 pm 

I like this kid. He WANTS to play for us.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:56 pm 

Ryann wrote:

The Dominican is all about relationships and the Sano's have a good relationship with Rene Gayo. That is why he wants to play for the Pirates.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:26 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
Ryann wrote:

The Dominican is all about relationships and the Sano's have a good relationship with Rene Gayo. That is why he wants to play for the Pirates.

Old number 21 may have a little to do with it as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:42 am 

I believe MLB should have completed it investigation by next week and he will be ready to sign. Hope like heck it is with the Pirates and he could somehow stay at SS. That would be sweet.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:47 am 

You know something i was thinking about. I've heard alot about this kid, and i've seen some video's of him on Youtube, but i have never actually seen his numbers. Does anybody know where i can find them at?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:09 am 

Colin21 wrote:
You know something i was thinking about. I've heard alot about this kid, and i've seen some video's of him on Youtube, but i have never actually seen his numbers. Does anybody know where i can find them at?

Assuming they are even recorded, I don't think they would do you any good. Statistics are very context-oriented: in order to make sense of them, one has to know how they compare to others at that competitive level. The level of competition Sano is facing as a 16-year-old in the Dominican is a big unknown, so even if we had Sano's numbers, we would have little way of knowing if they were any good.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:20 am 

Willton wrote:
Colin21 wrote:

Assuming they are even recorded, I don't think they would do you any good. Statistics are very context-oriented: in order to make sense of them, one has to know how they compare to others at that competitive level. The level of competition Sano is facing as a 16-year-old in the Dominican is a big unknown, so even if we had Sano's numbers, we would have little way of knowing if they were any good.

Yeah i guess that is true. I was going to compare it to good high school numbers, just because of his age.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:35 am 

Argentum wrote:
bucco boy wrote:
Ryann wrote:

That is what I was thinking. Years after his death and he is still contributing to the Pirates. All Latin players have respect for Clemente and thus some respect for the Pirates. I think that could be a major factor of the Pirates being succesful in Latin America.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:04 pm 

Argentum wrote:
bucco boy wrote:
Ryann wrote:

All Sano sees is Clemente holding a big, blank check, and him saying you go where the money is.
So the Pirates wanted to sign this guy july 2, but MLB said, NO, we have to see how old he really is?.
Is that so the Yankees, Angels, Red Sox, and such, can get it verified in case they want to make an offer.
I am confused how it works, but it seems if the Pirates want to pay this guy mucho dinero, why is the MLB cops standing in their way?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:05 pm 

There is a predominance of cross checkers in baseball. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:32 pm 

The Red Sox just signed their own teenaged Latin SS...Jose Iglesias, he just defected from Cuba. Not sure if this takes them out of the Sano running.