Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Pittsburgh media
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:47 pm 

estrago wrote:
wleeds wrote:
By the way Rocco and Ellis work for WPGB not the Pirates. The Pirates have
no sway over what they say. The Station paid for the rights the Pirates can do nothing about what is said
on their airwaves about the organization. Anyone who thinks differently is a idiot.

Think for a minute. If Rocco & Ellis were to bash the Pirates on a consistent basis, would that be good business for the radio station? The station wants ratings too. When the Pirates were on KDKA it was the same thing. The sport talk shows were a PR outlet for the Pirates and their station. KDKA radio does not even have sports shows anymore except for a few hours on the weekend.

If you want objective views, you are not going to get them from the flagship radio station. Conflict of interest in place.

Believe me, estrago, the station would likely get huge ratings from guys who bash the Pirates constantly. Every stupid yinzer in the area would be listening. The station would make huge dollars.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:38 pm 

It is not just the Pirates.....the Steeler radio flagship and their hosts do the same thing. Its that way for most radio stations and their hosts. They are not very critical. It is good for business.

I doubt you would ever hear this if this guy worked for the Pirate flagship

http://whythepittsburghpiratessuck.ytmnd.com/

-----------------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:17 pm 

estrago wrote:
It is not just the Pirates.....the Steeler radio flagship and their hosts do the same thing. Its that way for most radio stations and their hosts. They are not very critical. It is good for business.

I doubt you would ever hear this if this guy worked for the Pirate flagship

http://whythepittsburghpiratessuck.ytmnd.com/

You're right, because that is boring, and I tend to avoid boring radio. Endlessly trashing a team is easy to do and takes no talent whatsoever. I would hope that the Pirate flagship station would not hire a no-talent hack like whoever that guy was.

Oh, and if I ever hear a radio host bash a team for "not accepting Jesus Christ as their personal savior," I'm turning that crap off immediately. That's hack radio. Please tell me that guy does not have a regular gig on the airwaves.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:41 pm 

Willton wrote:
Please tell me that guy does not have a regular gig on the airwaves.

He happens to be the highest rated sports talk show host in the Burgh. Has a drive time show on the Pens flagship station. He was fired after he made some politically incorrect statements from the local ESPN station

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:47 pm 

estrago wrote:
Willton wrote:

He happens to be the highest rated sports talk show host in the Burgh. Has a drive time show on the Pens flagship station.

A fact which is #3 on my "Why I am Sometimes Embarrassed to be from Pittsburgh" list.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:48 pm 

estrago wrote:
Willton wrote:

He happens to be the highest rated sports talk show host in the Burgh. Has a drive time show on the Pens flagship station. He was fired after he made some politically incorrect statements from the local ESPN station

I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:09 pm 

estrago wrote:
Willton wrote:

That's Madden, eh? I guess yinzers like hack radio. Well, like I said, if the Pirates flagship station were to hire a guy that constantly rips the Pirates, every stupid yinzer would listen, as they do with Madden. That makes perfect business sense, doesn't it?

Assuming that Rocco and Ellis hold their respective views because it's good for business is clearly flawed. As you can see, there's a huge market for bashing the Pirates.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:22 pm 

Actually, I kind of like Madden. He is funny sometime, and yes a stupid, professional wrestler quoting, yinzer sometimes too. But usually very tongue in cheek. The whole "they haven't accepted Jesus Christ" thing was a joke. And he isn't really a baseball guy anyway. His bread and butter is the Pens, always has been.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:34 pm 

JimY wrote:
Actually, I kind of like Madden. He is funny sometime, and yes a stupid, professional wrestler quoting, yinzer sometimes too. But usually very tongue in cheek. The whole "they haven't accepted Jesus Christ" thing was a joke. And he isn't really a baseball guy anyway. His bread and butter is the Pens, always has been.

I don't care; it's a bad joke. Unless he's saying it to mock people that bash the Pirates (which he wasn't), it's a giant clunker. There is no reason, humorous or otherwise, to inject any religious hoo-ha into a sports show. Save it for the Sunday-morning bible-thumpers.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:48 pm 

Willton wrote:
Save it for the Sunday-morning bible-thumpers.

You are so mean, Wilton, just sooo mean!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:50 pm 

Willton wrote:
if the Pirates flagship station were to hire a guy that constantly rips the Pirates, every stupid yinzer would listen, as they do with Madden. That makes perfect business sense, doesn't it?

Having someone telling a large audience that another show you have on your radio station.... claiming that it sucks, its a bad product, the owners are taking advantage of them and whatever else they can think of to bash them will drive more people away from that show or in this case Pirate baseball. The bashing host might get the ratings, but the baseball show would decline because of the constant negative influence.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:57 am 

Well what do you know, Jerry Lee Lewis' cousin makes it onto the board.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:41 pm 

Wilton

Just because you dont like what Madden says is fine..you dont have to listen to shows like his. But it is all entertainment. Look at the King of all media.....Howard Stern. Many would call his show pure trash...same with Rush Limbaugh. People cant stand them and disagree with their views...yet they listen just the same.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:02 pm 

Funny you mention Howard. I am not a big listener since he left TV but on the road to LA yesterday I was listening to him on XM. He had Tom Arnold on. I think it was a replay form a recent show, but Tom Arnold just cracks me up.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:35 pm 

estrago wrote:
Wilton

Just because you dont like what Madden says is fine..you dont have to listen to shows like his. But it is all entertainment. Look at the King of all media.....Howard Stern. Many would call his show pure trash...same with Rush Limbaugh. People cant stand them and disagree with their views...yet they listen just the same.

I don't deny that these people get listeners. But that doesn't stop me from classifying each one of them as good or bad. Just because Rush Limbaugh is really popular with extreme conservatives does not stop me from calling him a big fat idiot. Just because Howard Stern has a huge following from his terrestrial radio days does not stop me from calling him a tired, over-the-hill has-been. And just because Madden is really popular with uneducated yinzers does not stop me from calling him a hack. You'll have to excuse me if I ask for a little more from my entertainment.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:24 pm 

Wilton you should come up with your own show since you think you are such a genius! Talk about Nutting, bobbleheads, prospects, and rebuilding plans all day! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:02 pm 

Willton wrote:
I don't deny that these people get listeners. But that doesn't stop me from classifying each one of them as good or bad. Just because Rush Limbaugh is really popular with extreme conservatives does not stop me from calling him a big fat idiot. Just because Howard Stern has a huge following from his terrestrial radio days does not stop me from calling him a tired, over-the-hill has-been. And just because Madden is really popular with uneducated yinzers does not stop me from calling him a hack. You'll have to excuse me if I ask for a little more from my entertainment.

OK I agree with you and you are right...popular does not make it good. Look at all the highly rated TV shows....most of them are trash in my opinion. The music that sells blows too. But to each their own.
17 years in a row the Pirates are pathetic..they are classified as bad...but that doesnt stop you or others from watching or listening. For some reason, mainly emotional a sound person knowing something is bad will still support it. As per the media trashing the local team, untill the team produces, all the "they're doing it right this time" remains to be seen. As Madden said, "..They stink, they blow, they suck!" They have to prove otherwise.