Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:48 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: The Pittsburgh media
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:09 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:28 am
Posts: 631
Am I the only one that thinks the Pittsburgh media is losing it's impartiality regarding the Pirates? I've heard a lot of reporters who I have a ton of respect for, feeding the hysteria regarding the Pirates making trades. This morning it occurred to me, while I was listening to Stan and Guy blast the idea of trading Freddy or Jack.
I remember once, years ago, listening to Stan reasonably make the argument that a small market team could not spend 10% of their payroll on Jay Bell, who he said, was a great supporting player but not a guy to build around. How that same argument can not be made for Jack I'll never understand.
Dejan in the PBC blog commented that if the Pirates trade Sanchez that it will most definitely be about the money. How can he know that before we know what the return is, or if we are eating any salary?
Eddy Crow keeps complaining that we traded Nijer Morgan because he just bought a Nijer Morgan jersey. So now the Bucs should not trade for top of the line talent for a 29 year old rookie 4th outfielder because Eddy Crow makes bad decisions when he's at the mall. Seriously if you want use out of your jersey for a few years, the only "safe" bet is Cutch. Why on earth ANYBODY would buy a Morgan jersey after we started a firesale is beyond me. Someone should have told him "wait a couple of weeks, you'll get it half off..."
I think the media is just so sick and tired of the Pirates that they've lost site of the fact that this is what the Pirates NEED to do in order to build a winner. The fans get the same way, but the media was once there to talk some of us down. "No, trading away Brian Giles is not the end of the world..." Now they just feed the beast.
Discuss. (usually means "fight" here)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Pittsburgh media
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:10 am
Posts: 1330
JimY wrote:
Am I the only one that thinks the Pittsburgh media is losing it's impartiality regarding the Pirates? I've heard a lot of reporters who I have a ton of respect for, feeding the hysteria regarding the Pirates making trades. This morning it occurred to me, while I was listening to Stan and Guy blast the idea of trading Freddy or Jack.
I remember once, years ago, listening to Stan reasonably make the argument that a small market team could not spend 10% of their payroll on Jay Bell, who he said, was a great supporting player but not a guy to build around. How that same argument can not be made for Jack I'll never understand.
Dejan in the PBC blog commented that if the Pirates trade Sanchez that it will most definitely be about the money. How can he know that before we know what the return is, or if we are eating any salary?
Eddy Crow keeps complaining that we traded Nijer Morgan because he just bought a Nijer Morgan jersey. So now the Bucs should not trade for top of the line talent for a 29 year old rookie 4th outfielder because Eddy Crow makes bad decisions when he's at the mall. Seriously if you want use out of your jersey for a few years, the only "safe" bet is Cutch. Why on earth ANYBODY would buy a Morgan jersey after we started a firesale is beyond me. Someone should have told him "wait a couple of weeks, you'll get it half off..."
I think the media is just so sick and tired of the Pirates that they've lost site of the fact that this is what the Pirates NEED to do in order to build a winner. The fans get the same way, but the media was once there to talk some of us down. "No, trading away Brian Giles is not the end of the world..." Now they just feed the beast.
Discuss. (usually means "fight" here)


I agree. Rocco Demaro and Ellis Cannon are the only two local guys that I can bear to listen to talk about the Pirates anymore. The rest just, as you say, feed the hysteria.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Pittsburgh media
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7275
I agree. I think they're going with the trend...Alot of people are tired of the trades...

I'm just glad, Neal has held his ground and not caved...

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Pittsburgh media
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:25 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:28 pm
Posts: 1361
I think Dejan generally tries to be impartial. I certainly wouldn't lump him with Smizik or some of the others you mentioned.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Pittsburgh media
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7275
bradf wrote:
I think Dejan generally tries to be impartial. I certainly wouldn't lump him with Smizik or some of the others you mentioned.


I'm getting the feeling that the others are spinning Dejan's words to paint a negative picture...

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Pittsburgh media
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:53 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:39 pm
Posts: 234
JimY wrote:
Am I the only one that thinks the Pittsburgh media is losing it's impartiality regarding the Pirates? I've heard a lot of reporters who I have a ton of respect for, feeding the hysteria regarding the Pirates making trades. This morning it occurred to me, while I was listening to Stan and Guy blast the idea of trading Freddy or Jack.
I remember once, years ago, listening to Stan reasonably make the argument that a small market team could not spend 10% of their payroll on Jay Bell, who he said, was a great supporting player but not a guy to build around. How that same argument can not be made for Jack I'll never understand.
Dejan in the PBC blog commented that if the Pirates trade Sanchez that it will most definitely be about the money. How can he know that before we know what the return is, or if we are eating any salary?
Eddy Crow keeps complaining that we traded Nijer Morgan because he just bought a Nijer Morgan jersey. So now the Bucs should not trade for top of the line talent for a 29 year old rookie 4th outfielder because Eddy Crow makes bad decisions when he's at the mall. Seriously if you want use out of your jersey for a few years, the only "safe" bet is Cutch. Why on earth ANYBODY would buy a Morgan jersey after we started a firesale is beyond me. Someone should have told him "wait a couple of weeks, you'll get it half off..."
I think the media is just so sick and tired of the Pirates that they've lost site of the fact that this is what the Pirates NEED to do in order to build a winner. The fans get the same way, but the media was once there to talk some of us down. "No, trading away Brian Giles is not the end of the world..." Now they just feed the beast.
Discuss. (usually means "fight" here)




Ok, then sign Jack Wilson for 2 more years, through 2011, he would be 34 at the time it expires, something like that.
It has to be at a club friendly rate, so Wilson and the team can remove the fan's perception of him as an over priced shortstop for a small market team, as they do now.

This can only work if NH can sign Sano, and sign him soon so he can get organized in the minors,and start to play this season.
You definetly have him on a winter league roster, keep the train moving, 2011 is coming!!!
Let him start his quick flight to the team, by playing him all of 2010 , in the mid to high minors.
Now comes spring training 2011, Sano is tabbed as the starting ss, no matter what his spring training BA is. Yes, he may be only 18 then, he may be 22 then, don't matter, you sink or swim with this kid starting then.

Pnc Park would be rocking on a nightly basis with guys like Alvarez , Mc Cutchen Milledge(i hope), Tabata, and who knows, maybe even Alex Rios.
This team would draw fans, it would be like going to a BOC concert back in the 80's.
This is the vision i have, and i am right on.!!

WORD!
You offer Jack Wilson a coaching job with the team, or a managerial position in the minors.
He's not receptive?, then you part ways as friends, no hard feelings.
I am sure the rabid fans and reporters will find this a quite acceptable decision.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Pittsburgh media
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:08 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 6283
Long Island's finest. Godzilla could be the next we are family.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Pittsburgh media
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:17 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:12 am
Posts: 758
burghermeister wrote:
Rocco Demaro and Ellis Cannon are the only two local guys that I can bear to listen to talk about the Pirates anymore. The rest just, as you say, feed the hysteria.

What radio station is the Pirate flagship? Is it the same one that employs those two local guys? How about that!

_________________
ImageImage


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Pittsburgh media
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:18 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:28 am
Posts: 631
See, some here are naming names like Smizik, Demarro, and Cannon, and I purposely didn't name those three.
Smizik is Mister Negative. If he WAS NOT ranting and raving and screaming bloody murder I'd worry about him.
Demarro and Cannon are at the opposite end of the spectrum. If the Pirates organization decided to only serve liver sausage, and no other foods, those two would applaud the idea. They love the Pirates to the point where they have little credibility.
I am mainly talking about the seemingly rational, sane, intelligent media members who have gotten so sick of the losing that they've lost sight of how to evaluate what the organization is doing.
Paulshock,
First your assuming that Jack wants to stay here. Why would he want his whole career to pass by and never have been on a contending team. I know I know... He SAYS he wants to stay.... But I'll bet he wants to win even more.
I do however agree that signing Sano is crucial. I will have my confidence shaken if he is not signed.
And if the Pirates trade Paul Maholum for freaking Alexis Rios, I'll never understand why....


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Pittsburgh media
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:10 am
Posts: 1330
estrago wrote:
burghermeister wrote:
Rocco Demaro and Ellis Cannon are the only two local guys that I can bear to listen to talk about the Pirates anymore. The rest just, as you say, feed the hysteria.

What radio station is the Pirate flagship? Is it the same one that employs those two local guys? How about that!

Knew someone would say that. Ever listen to Demaro during the Littlefield era? He was his harshest critic. Same with Cannon. Why weren't they apologists back then?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Pittsburgh media
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:56 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:28 am
Posts: 631
Demarro and Cannon eventually became critics of Littlefield, after it was apparent to everyone not named Bob Nutting that DL was a hack. They still aren't exactly non partial. Still, I can stand them more than Smizik and Collier.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Pittsburgh media
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:04 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:40 pm
Posts: 703
Location: Boston
I don't live in Pitt and haven't in forever but here are my "outsider" two cents.

I get back to Pitt a few times a year, and I actually found Rocco by accident just ripping DL about 3-4 years ago. That was surprising since The Pirates are on that station and that is generally taboo. I lived in Chicago for 10 years, and WGN would never even think about saying ANYTHING bad about the Cubs, neither would the Tribune. It just wasn't allowed by mgmt or the Trib that owned the team and the station.

I have grown to like Rocco because of that event and listen to most of the post game shows via the next. I like the fact that he tries to use facts even if I don't always agree w/ his conclusions.

_________________
Yinzers uber alles


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Pittsburgh media
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:14 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:14 pm
Posts: 176
Location: Louisiana
JimY wrote:
Am I the only one that thinks the Pittsburgh media is losing it's impartiality regarding the Pirates? I've heard a lot of reporters who I have a ton of respect for, feeding the hysteria regarding the Pirates making trades. This morning it occurred to me, while I was listening to Stan and Guy blast the idea of trading Freddy or Jack.
I remember once, years ago, listening to Stan reasonably make the argument that a small market team could not spend 10% of their payroll on Jay Bell, who he said, was a great supporting player but not a guy to build around. How that same argument can not be made for Jack I'll never understand.
Dejan in the PBC blog commented that if the Pirates trade Sanchez that it will most definitely be about the money. How can he know that before we know what the return is, or if we are eating any salary?
Eddy Crow keeps complaining that we traded Nijer Morgan because he just bought a Nijer Morgan jersey. So now the Bucs should not trade for top of the line talent for a 29 year old rookie 4th outfielder because Eddy Crow makes bad decisions when he's at the mall. Seriously if you want use out of your jersey for a few years, the only "safe" bet is Cutch. Why on earth ANYBODY would buy a Morgan jersey after we started a firesale is beyond me. Someone should have told him "wait a couple of weeks, you'll get it half off..."
I think the media is just so sick and tired of the Pirates that they've lost site of the fact that this is what the Pirates NEED to do in order to build a winner. The fans get the same way, but the media was once there to talk some of us down. "No, trading away Brian Giles is not the end of the world..." Now they just feed the beast.
Discuss. (usually means "fight" here)

Can't vouch for the rest of the stuff...but I know that Dejan is working on a story for the Sunday paper that is supposed to be dealing with the potential Sanchez trade (and possibly others) and finances. And I've seen his writing misunderstood and misquoted several times. People reading into things that aren't being said.

NH has questioned publicly whether $16M for our middle infield is the best use of next years funds.

Remember...that radio media...especially...tends to live on disparate views. If everyone agrees on everything...listenership gets bored. A perfect example is ESPN's Colin Cowherd. He readily admits that's his job. I wouldn't doubt that happens at least a little bit in the Pittsburgh market.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Pittsburgh media
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:30 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:28 am
Posts: 631
Quote:
Opinion: Bob Smizik wonders if the Pirates' trades are motivated by money. The view from here? If Sanchez is traded, it almost surely will be about money. Take it to the bank.


http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/pbc/default.aspx

That is about 2/3 down on the page I linked to. I don't see how that's a misquote. He says it's about the money.

Still though, I can see your point given Littlefield's remarks.

However, I don't think that this is just the media's way of keeping things interesting. I think most of the guys I've mentioned are genuinely disgusted. Most of these guys are not the same ilk as Cowheard (Madden is our only guy who is just having fun stirring the pot)
Also, I think that the disparate view here would be the one defending the bucs moves. That's what I'm not hearing here.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Pittsburgh media
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:01 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:43 pm
Posts: 273
I do agree that perhaps the media is now a bit jaded.....and in some cases unfair.

However, you reap what you sow. The Pirates have EARNED that sort of treatment.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Pittsburgh media
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:09 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:10 am
Posts: 1330
JimY wrote:
Quote:
Opinion: Bob Smizik wonders if the Pirates' trades are motivated by money. The view from here? If Sanchez is traded, it almost surely will be about money. Take it to the bank.


http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/pbc/default.aspx

That is about 2/3 down on the page I linked to. I don't see how that's a misquote. He says it's about the money.

Still though, I can see your point given Littlefield's remarks.

However, I don't think that this is just the media's way of keeping things interesting. I think most of the guys I've mentioned are genuinely disgusted. Most of these guys are not the same ilk as Cowheard (Madden is our only guy who is just having fun stirring the pot)
Also, I think that the disparate view here would be the one defending the bucs moves. That's what I'm not hearing here.

Anyone, media or not, who is hypercritical of a trade without knowing what will be coming in return has no credibility and is not worth listening to. It's really that simple for me.


Last edited by burghermeister on Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Pittsburgh media
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:18 am 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 4238
Location: Zelienople, PA
I just put velcro on the back of my Pirates Jersey.

Saves money come trading deadline.

ZM

_________________
Someone tell Votto... rbis are good


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Pittsburgh media
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:24 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:12 am
Posts: 758
JimY wrote:
Madden is our only guy who is just having fun stirring the pot
.


You mean like this...have your volume on

http://whythepittsburghpiratessuck.ytmnd.com/

I dont know if that is stirring the pot or just stating the obvious
(BTW they need to change the 15 to 17)

_________________
ImageImage


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Pittsburgh media
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:34 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:43 am
Posts: 75
burghermeister wrote:
estrago wrote:
burghermeister wrote:
Rocco Demaro and Ellis Cannon are the only two local guys that I can bear to listen to talk about the Pirates anymore. The rest just, as you say, feed the hysteria.

What radio station is the Pirate flagship? Is it the same one that employs those two local guys? How about that!

Knew someone would say that. Ever listen to Demaro during the Littlefield era? He was his harshest critic. Same with Cannon. Why weren't they apologists back then?


Thank you Burghermeister, I have listened to Rocco since the Pirates moved to the station. He was very
critical of the Littlenutz era. By the way Rocco and Ellis work for WPGB not the Pirates. The Pirates have
no sway over what they say. The Station paid for the rights the Pirates can do nothing about what is said
on their airwaves about the organization. Anyone who thinks differently is a idiot.

Most of the media just think they could do a better job like most people on the message boards. :lol:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Pittsburgh media
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:30 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:12 am
Posts: 758
wleeds wrote:
By the way Rocco and Ellis work for WPGB not the Pirates. The Pirates have
no sway over what they say. The Station paid for the rights the Pirates can do nothing about what is said
on their airwaves about the organization. Anyone who thinks differently is a idiot.


Think for a minute. If Rocco & Ellis were to bash the Pirates on a consistent basis, would that be good business for the radio station? The station wants ratings too. When the Pirates were on KDKA it was the same thing. The sport talk shows were a PR outlet for the Pirates and their station. KDKA radio does not even have sports shows anymore except for a few hours on the weekend.

If you want objective views, you are not going to get them from the flagship radio station. Conflict of interest in place.

_________________
ImageImage


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], rks and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits