Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Where have all the black men gone?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:51 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
Bucfan wrote:
Son has a pretty good GPA (3.65), with a number of AP courses. His SAT scores are good in math, average in English, but fall short in the writing section.

I have suggested that he take the ACT. Daugther advises that the ACT, based upon the scoring, tends to push the scores together, so that the "problem" areas are scored more highly.

I am lobbying son to take the ACT and take some lessons from his old man regarding the writing test. Son is not receptive to the idea of taking instruction from dad. We'll see.

If the ACT tends to push the scores together, wouldn't that also de-emphasize his superior areas, like math?

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Where have all the black men gone?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:58 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10516
Willton wrote:
If the ACT tends to push the scores together, wouldn't that also de-emphasize his superior areas, like math?

It does. However, the scoring system for the ACT apparently is such that most score higher as compared to other test takers on the ACT than on the SAT. I have heard this from a college advisor, daughter, and (per this post) from Az.

I do not know why this is true. However, this source indicates, "The national average for the new SAT is 1500. For the ACT, it’s between 20 and 21."

http://www.princetonreview.com/college/ ... score.aspx

Son scored 1650 on the SAT's. I believe he could score 25 on the ACT. A score of 25, with his GPA, will qualify him for basically every school in which he has an interest.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Where have all the black men gone?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:00 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10516
P.S. One school advised son that if he can increase his SAT or ACT score, he will qualify for "academic money." That would be a freaking coup for D-1 and D-2 schools, which have limited baseball scholarships.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Where have all the black men gone?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:16 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:19 am
Posts: 1486
Dominican, Puerto Rican, Mexican, and Venezuelan players are not of Spanish descent. All are considered "latin" though Dominicans may be called "hispanic" as well. Two countries occupy the island of Hispaniola. Haiti in the west and the Dominican Republic in the east.

"Latin" refers to players from those countries or territories where Spanish or Portuguese is the prevailing language. It includes the Caribbean, Mexico (though the term "chicano" is also used for Mexicans and Mexican-Americans) Central and South America (but excludes English and French speaking countries like Haiti, Jamaica, Belize, Panama, Guyana, etc.)

Andrew Jones, Randall Simon, and Yurendell DeCaster would be considered "Caribbean."


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Where have all the black men gone?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:17 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
Bucfan wrote:
Willton wrote:
If the ACT tends to push the scores together, wouldn't that also de-emphasize his superior areas, like math?

It does. However, the scoring system for the ACT apparently is such that most score higher as compared to other test takers on the ACT than on the SAT. I have heard this from a college advisor, daughter, and (per this post) from Az.

I do not know why this is true. However, this source indicates, "The national average for the new SAT is 1500. For the ACT, it’s between 20 and 21."

http://www.princetonreview.com/college/ ... score.aspx

Son scored 1650 on the SAT's. I believe he could score 25 on the ACT. A score of 25, with his GPA, will qualify him for basically every school in which he has an interest.

New SAT? Okay, so how does this new one work? Is this where a writing score is included?

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Where have all the black men gone?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:23 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10516
Willton wrote:
New SAT? Okay, so how does this new one work? Is this where a writing score is included?

It's a few years old. Top scores are 800 for math, 800 for English, 800 for writing. The best possible score when I took the SAT was 1600. Now, the best possible score is 2400.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Where have all the black men gone?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:18 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:59 am
Posts: 483
Lack of interest by blacks in baseball is simply a cultural phenomenon. I'm not buying into the high cost to play baseball. Average income for a family in the Dominican is around $3000 (if I heard it right). There's definitely no lack of interest for baseball there. I think baseball's popularity is decreasing in general which doesn't explain the attendance spike. Maybe it's still popular to watch, but not play. Anyway, in our town of 25,000 we had 32 slow-pitch softball teams when I started playing 15 years ago. (most of the kids home from college who could no longer play baseball anymore played and stayed on through middle-age). Now there are 8 teams in the league.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Where have all the black men gone?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:27 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 6162
Go the ACT route. Make sure you check on academic money. I was told by a coach this past weekend that academic money can be counted against athletic money. I don't know if it depends on the amount, percentage or whatever. It was new to me. Check close and do your homework. Also, they can now have jobs on the side but it all has to be scrutinized by athletic dept. and registered. They even have to have cars accounted for and registered with the athletic dept. NCAA at it's finest. Don't get me started.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Where have all the black men gone?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:28 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10516
Az Bucco fan wrote:
Check close and do your homework.

Can I cheat off of you?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Where have all the black men gone?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:30 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 6162
Anytime my friend, we will talk Sunday. Will be good to see you. I hope that same Salvadorian food truck is still across from the pool. I will eat there all weekend if it is.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Where have all the black men gone?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:33 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:01 pm
Posts: 5832
Location: Slickville, PA
Bucfan wrote:
P.S. One school advised son that if he can increase his SAT or ACT score, he will qualify for "academic money." That would be a freaking coup for D-1 and D-2 schools, which have limited baseball scholarships.


That is what has happened to my daughter. Scores are pretty good, and her GPA is 4.0, so she is being promised 50-75% of her tuition just based on that. A lacrosse scholarship would pick up the rest. Plus she has qualified for a lot of "little" scholarships.

_________________
"Live proud! Laugh Loud! Standout in a Crowd!"


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Where have all the black men gone?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:36 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 6162
Congrats Animal and daughter. :D What school? I have a good friend up in Skaneatales, NY who's son plays lacrosse and is going through the recruiting gig right now too. That is a crazy sport.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Where have all the black men gone?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:46 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10516
Animal wrote:
That is what has happened to my daughter. Scores are pretty good, and her GPA is 4.0, so she is being promised 50-75% of her tuition just based on that.

That is huge ... congrats.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Where have all the black men gone?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:05 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 5:37 pm
Posts: 566
I think the issue has less to do with absent fathers and cost of equipment and more to do with the size of the field needed to play and the number of kids it takes to play the game.


Basketball can be played with one kid up to 10 and doesnt require much more space than a driveway or street with a basket.

Football can be played with 2 kids up to as many as want truly and any backyard or street will do.

Baseball however requires a massive lot. Try playing baseball in any neighborhood and it wont be long before a window is broken, car is dented or some other damage is done. Also, it takes an army of kids to have fun playing baseball even if you find a lot big enough. Two kids can pitch and hit together but if you dont have an entire bucket of balls it gets real old throwing a few pitches and then going to retrieve the balls in the outfield. And absent a catcher the some routine occurs. And beyond pitching and hitting you cant play a real game without adding numerous fielders. There is simply no fun way to play baseball with a handful of kids. This problem is made even worse by the number of kids that never leave the house because they are playing video games etc.

So the combination of property development in cities taking away green space, baseball requiring too many kids to play and the growth of indoor entertainment in my opinion has had the greatest impact on youth baseball. I would also add that unless you live in a warm climate baseball is the least friendly sport to year round play.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Where have all the black men gone?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:32 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:01 pm
Posts: 5832
Location: Slickville, PA
Az Bucco fan wrote:
Congrats Animal and daughter. :D What school? I have a good friend up in Skaneatales, NY who's son plays lacrosse and is going through the recruiting gig right now too. That is a crazy sport.


Small D1 school...Saint Francis University near Altoona.

She is a great student....as I said 4.0 in honors classes.

Pretty good Lacrosse player, one of top scorers for her team. She will be a senior this year. Girls lacrosse is not as crazy as boys. No checking allowed. She also swims although she is not that good. And is a pretty decent Field Hockey player too. Hopefully, all this will save me some hefty college funding!

_________________
"Live proud! Laugh Loud! Standout in a Crowd!"


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Where have all the black men gone?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:35 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:01 pm
Posts: 5832
Location: Slickville, PA
MoTownWV wrote:
I think the issue has less to do with absent fathers and cost of equipment and more to do with the size of the field needed to play and the number of kids it takes to play the game.


Basketball can be played with one kid up to 10 and doesnt require much more space than a driveway or street with a basket.

Football can be played with 2 kids up to as many as want truly and any backyard or street will do.

Baseball however requires a massive lot. Try playing baseball in any neighborhood and it wont be long before a window is broken, car is dented or some other damage is done. Also, it takes an army of kids to have fun playing baseball even if you find a lot big enough. Two kids can pitch and hit together but if you dont have an entire bucket of balls it gets real old throwing a few pitches and then going to retrieve the balls in the outfield. And absent a catcher the some routine occurs. And beyond pitching and hitting you cant play a real game without adding numerous fielders. There is simply no fun way to play baseball with a handful of kids. This problem is made even worse by the number of kids that never leave the house because they are playing video games etc.

So the combination of property development in cities taking away green space, baseball requiring too many kids to play and the growth of indoor entertainment in my opinion has had the greatest impact on youth baseball. I would also add that unless you live in a warm climate baseball is the least friendly sport to year round play.


That's a good point...although I remember when I was a kid we played softball nearly every day with as few as 8 kids. Anything to right of second base was either foul or out. You could pitch and catch for your own team...ghost runners....got by with 1B, 2b, 3b, and LF!

I am sure most of you "older" guys have similar memories...before the days of Nintendo and Computer games. Although I did love my Atari PONG.

_________________
"Live proud! Laugh Loud! Standout in a Crowd!"


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Where have all the black men gone?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:38 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 6162
Very nice. It will give you an excuse to drop by and see the curveman. Oh yeah. I remember that game. We had an old sheet of plywood to use if we didn't have a catcher. We played a lot of whiffle ball too. Home run derby too with the whiffle ball.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Where have all the black men gone?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:46 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:11 pm
Posts: 3364
Location: Wheeling, WV
Bucfan-- many including mine don't take instruction well from mom or dad after a certain age. You may have a huge battle everytime you try to help.

Suggest that you find a test prep class usually offered on Sat. or evenings for a short period of time if you want his score to improve. Also my experience with both tests indicates almost universally that kids score better if they re-take it a second time. That, of course, requires taking it as soon as possible the first time. Don't let him put off signing up as soon as school starts.

I have a feeling he'll do well unless his GPA suffers from grade inflation which has been a problem lately.

_________________
2011 Will Be Our Year -- well make that 2012 (just saying) So it looks like 2013 now - how long must this go on!
THIS IS IT-- NO MORE STREAK!!! *** Finally*** Time to win it in 2014


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Where have all the black men gone?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:50 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:01 pm
Posts: 5832
Location: Slickville, PA
Az Bucco fan wrote:
Very nice. It will give you an excuse to drop by and see the curveman. Oh yeah. I remember that game. We had an old sheet of plywood to use if we didn't have a catcher. We played a lot of whiffle ball too. Home run derby too with the whiffle ball.



Oh yeah, remember the whiffle ball. We used to destroy them. We would have to have like 5 on hand and play until they were all split or smashed to smitherenes!

_________________
"Live proud! Laugh Loud! Standout in a Crowd!"


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Where have all the black men gone?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:51 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:11 pm
Posts: 3364
Location: Wheeling, WV
The reason SAT and/or ACT scores are important is that they are equal for all kids. Some schools have weighted grades which artifically raise the GPA and distort the actual brain power. They need some tool that will measure your potential for success.

_________________
2011 Will Be Our Year -- well make that 2012 (just saying) So it looks like 2013 now - how long must this go on!
THIS IS IT-- NO MORE STREAK!!! *** Finally*** Time to win it in 2014


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], PirateParrot and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits