Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Where have all the black men gone?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:05 pm 

No. 2 was signed up to take an SAT class through No. 1's club team instructor. It fell through due to lack of enough students to take it at the time. He went ahead and took it again anyways and added 160 points to his SAT. One big mistake kids make the first time or if they are not informed is in the taking of the test itself. If you have questions that you definitely do NOT know the answer and have no clue as to making an educated guess, you should not answer the question. You are docked points for incorrect answers which count against the points earned for correct answers. Interestingly enough, back in the day when I took it, most people did better on the verbal (as it was called then) than on the math. Now days it is just the opposite. Most kids just don't read enough in order to develop vocabulary.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:20 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Interestingly enough, back in the day when I took it, most people did better on the verbal (as it was called then) than on the math. Now days it is just the opposite. Most kids just don't read enough in order to develop vocabulary.

Absolutely true of son. He reads "Harry Potter" and that is about it. I have told him, credibly I might add, that those stories are not nearly as good as great works of fiction, such as "Macbeth."

He is not buying it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:34 pm 

Yep, mine hate to read and find no pleasure in it at all. Every once in a while, No. 1 will find a sports book that piques his interest.

Correctly stated that offspring do not always take advice or instruction from us. On numerous occasions my kids have "seen the light" upon the suggestion of someone else about something that my wife and I had suggested numerous times earlier. Teenagers :o

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:50 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Anytime my friend, we will talk Sunday. Will be good to see you. I hope that same Salvadorian food truck is still across from the pool. I will eat there all weekend if it is.

Salvadorian food truck ? There are so many places to go on that one...

ZM

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:57 pm 

Animal wrote:
Small D1 school...Saint Francis University near Altoona.

She is a great student....as I said 4.0 in honors classes.

Pretty good Lacrosse player, one of top scorers for her team. She will be a senior this year. Girls lacrosse is not as crazy as boys. No checking allowed. She also swims although she is not that good. And is a pretty decent Field Hockey player too. Hopefully, all this will save me some hefty college funding!

I grew up in Ebensburg, and used to go camping all the time out near there. The Susquehanna River starts out near there...I used to play Legion Baseball for the Legion there in Loretto, down the hill from the college. The construction company my mom works has built some of the new dorms and other buildings up there...they have a Catholic connection...

Also the drummer from Rusted Root teaches a drum workshop up there a few times a year...

One thing though...Winters on the road out there are hell...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:41 pm 

Isn't the drummer's name Despirito? I think his dad or uncle was the longtime football coach at Slippery Rock.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:08 pm 

All of this recruiting talk reminds me of a funny story . . . at least I found it funny.

I have, in the past, taken assistant coaches from my alma mater to various Friday night high school games in the suburbs of Chicago so that they can watch players that they are recruiting. I'd do this when my alma mater has a Saturday night game which frees up the coaches on Friday night to make the visit.

On one particular occassion, we were in Lemont, Illinois watching the Lemont HS QB whom my alma mater was recruiting to play TE. These visits are interesting because you receive special treatment by the host school. We get sideline passes and are immediately contacted by the school's AD and assistant AD about the player at issue. On this occassion, the Lemont HS Assistant AD asked if my alma mater was also looking at one of the Lemont offensive linemen. The college coach from my alma mater said "no" because the kid had already verbally committed to the University of Illinois and my alma mater had a policy of not trying to recruit players who had verbally committed to a fellow conference team (a policy which had been until very recently adhered to by all conference team - but with the recent addition of coaches from the SEC and Big East, that policy is very much in flux).

The Lemont HS Assistant AD commented that - even if we were interested in the offensive lineman, attempting to contact him during NCAA sanctioned contact periods would be meaningless. He offered some insight. He told us that if we really wanted to get him to back off his commitment to the University of Illinois, we would have to travel to Champaign and meet with his girlfriend. He then made a triangle with his hands and held them over his crotch area. He said the that offensive lineman's college choice was motivated by one thing and one thing only . . . and it was that area between his girlfriend's legs. If we could convince her to transfer to my alma mater, we wouldn't even have to talk to the player; he'd change his commitment immediately. :lol:

It reminded me of a conversation that I once had with a baseball scout who informed me that more good baseball talent is ruined by girlfriends than any other factor. Girlfriends often serve as a destructive "distraction" and keep a player from reaching his full potential. The scout's advice was for players to avoid the "honey trap" and that evaluations take into consideration that portion of a player's personal life.

Those recruiting trips are extremely interesting and educational. For what it is worth, the Lemont QB that my alma mater was recruiting had indicated that he wanted to a chance to play QB but his fall back position was either LB or TE. He adamently did not want to be slotted as a fullback. He previously informed my alma mater than Northwestern was promising him the chance to be a QB and the fall back position would be TE. My alma mater informed him that they were already covered at QB and he wouldn't have a chance but that he would be the lead TE recruit with a couple years open right ahead of him. He ended up committing to Northwestern (he is still there) and I laughed my ass off at last year's game when I saw his name in the program and he was listed as a fullback for Northwestern.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:15 pm 

This should attract some flies. Miami just called No. 2. The plot thickens. They have only men's diving. No men's swimming. Frank Viola's daughter, Brittney dives there. She is pretty good too.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:46 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

No. 9 wrote:
.... For what it is worth, the Lemont QB that my alma mater was recruiting had indicated that he wanted to a chance to play QB but his fall back position was either LB or TE. He adamently did not want to be slotted as a fullback. He previously informed my alma mater than Northwestern was promising him the chance to be a QB and the fall back position would be TE. My alma mater informed him that they were already covered at QB and he wouldn't have a chance but that he would be the lead TE recruit with a couple years open right ahead of him. He ended up committing to Northwestern (he is still there) and I laughed my ass off at last year's game when I saw his name in the program and he was listed as a fullback for Northwestern.

HA... I've seen those Iowa QB's. This kid must have had TE written all over him.... LOLOLOL.

ZM

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:56 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Animal wrote:
Small D1 school...Saint Francis University near Altoona.

She is a great student....as I said 4.0 in honors classes.

Pretty good Lacrosse player, one of top scorers for her team. She will be a senior this year. Girls lacrosse is not as crazy as boys. No checking allowed. She also swims although she is not that good. And is a pretty decent Field Hockey player too. Hopefully, all this will save me some hefty college funding!

I grew up in Ebensburg, and used to go camping all the time out near there. The Susquehanna River starts out near there...I used to play Legion Baseball for the Legion there in Loretto, down the hill from the college. The construction company my mom works has built some of the new dorms and other buildings up there...they have a Catholic connection...

Also the drummer from Rusted Root teaches a drum workshop up there a few times a year...

One thing though...Winters on the road out there are hell...

Thanks for the info. I am well aware. We are only about an hour away and have made several trips already. She was selected to attend a weeklong science camp earlier this summer and did very well-earned a $4000 scholarship. I know the winters are nasty though! And we are Catholic, and fortunately, my daughter has been a Lector for about 5 years alredy, so they are going to probably give her a Lector scholarship too!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:00 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
No. 9 wrote:
.... For what it is worth, the Lemont QB that my alma mater was recruiting had indicated that he wanted to a chance to play QB but his fall back position was either LB or TE. He adamently did not want to be slotted as a fullback. He previously informed my alma mater than Northwestern was promising him the chance to be a QB and the fall back position would be TE. My alma mater informed him that they were already covered at QB and he wouldn't have a chance but that he would be the lead TE recruit with a couple years open right ahead of him. He ended up committing to Northwestern (he is still there) and I laughed my ass off at last year's game when I saw his name in the program and he was listed as a fullback for Northwestern.

HA... I've seen those Iowa QB's. This kid must have had TE written all over him.... LOLOLOL.

ZM

Good one. :)
You saw the QB (Christiansen) who ended up transferring at the end of last year. The QB that took over after the Pitt game was head and shoulders better.
This kid who went to NW simply had - as many at that age do - an overinflated view of himself. He did not have anything close to what would have been considered a D-1 arm. But, as in a lot of cases, a college coach will make a promise that he simply doesn't intend to keep to get the guy to sign a written letter of intent.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:11 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
This should attract some flies. Miami just called No. 2. The plot thickens. They have only men's diving. No men's swimming. Frank Viola's daughter, Brittney dives there. She is pretty good too.

Daughter competed against her on platform in junior nationals. Yes, she is very, very good.

She took a year off of diving in 2005 or so, and also delayed before starting college. She is same age as my daughter, who has graduated already.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:45 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:
No. 9 wrote:

ZM

Good one. :)
You saw the QB (Christiansen) who ended up transferring at the end of last year. The QB that took over after the Pitt game was head and shoulders better.
This kid who went to NW simply had - as many at that age do - an overinflated view of himself. He did not have anything close to what would have been considered a D-1 arm. But, as in a lot of cases, a college coach will make a promise that he simply doesn't intend to keep to get the guy to sign a written letter of intent.

Forgot to add that it was the QB that took over who led Iowa to victory in the game that kept PSU out of the National Championship game last year. And I will maintain to my deathbed that PSU matched up better against either of the teams in the National Championship game than it did against USC.