Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dan Patrick is an idiot..
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:43 am 

I'm sitting here listening to the Dan Patrick Show on ESPN radio.. I don't like to knock fellow Ohioans but in this case I must.

He is discussing the format of the All-Star game:

"If this game determines World Series homefield advantage shouldn't the managers play this game to win?" (Meaning.. why do they allow pitchers to pitch for one inning only?)

Then he brings up the annual complaint: Should every team have a representative?

Dan Patrick: Who wants to see a Pittsburgh Pirate? Do we really need to see Freddy Garcia?

AAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!!!!

(Normally I avoid these national shows as the hosts are generally clueless about anything other than the Yankees, Red Sox, Brett Favre, and T.O.. I only had this on the radio because I listen to Detroit sports talk from 7 to 9.)

Freddy Garcia? FREDDY GARCIA??

I am outraged! Freddy SANCHEZ is a better player than a bozo like Dan Patrick will ever know! (Blood is now at the boiling level..) You can bet Charlie Manuel is thrilled to have Freddy on his team and he will gladly use him in ANY pressure situation. What a jerk!! That a-hole just wants to bash the city of Pittsburgh. He surely had Freddy's name written in front of him. I say we should all voice our complaints to ESPN radio!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

Post subject: Re: Dan Patrick is an idiot..
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:01 pm 

Ollie wrote:
I'm sitting here listening to the Dan Patrick Show on ESPN radio.. I don't like to knock fellow Ohioans but in this case I must.

He is discussing the format of the All-Star game:

"If this game determines World Series homefield advantage shouldn't the managers play this game to win?" (Meaning.. why do they allow pitchers to pitch for one inning only?)

Then he brings up the annual complaint: Should every team have a representative?

Dan Patrick: Who wants to see a Pittsburgh Pirate? Do we really need to see Freddy Garcia?

AAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!!!!

(Normally I avoid these national shows as the hosts are generally clueless about anything other than the Yankees, Red Sox, Brett Favre, and T.O.. I only had this on the radio because I listen to Detroit sports talk from 7 to 9.)

Freddy Garcia? FREDDY GARCIA??

I am outraged! Freddy SANCHEZ is a better player than a bozo like Dan Patrick will ever know! (Blood is now at the boiling level..) You can bet Charlie Manuel is thrilled to have Freddy on his team and he will gladly use him in ANY pressure situation. What a jerk!! That a-hole just wants to bash the city of Pittsburgh. He surely had Freddy's name written in front of him. I say we should all voice our complaints to ESPN radio!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

Maybe he read some of the posts here and believed them!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:03 pm 

This is why I don't listen to ESPN Radio.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:07 pm 

That's a really horrible show. I'm not really sure why he's still on the air.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:09 pm 

IMHO though he is world's better than Colin Cowherd. That guy really annoys me. Can't listen.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:14 pm 

Willton wrote:

ESPN Radio is pretty bad. I get less tolerant of Mike & Mike's self indulgence everyday; Cowherd is useless; the guys on "The Drive" have no idea what they're talking about half the time; and Ken Laird always takes the yinzer path of least resistance on every story (especially regarding the Pirates). Savran and Junker is the only thing worth listening too.

But, in fairness to ESPN, the "I'm Dan Patrick and You're Not; I Hang Out with Celebrities and You Don't Show" is on Fox Sports Radio.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:19 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
IMHO though he is world's better than Colin Cowherd. That guy really annoys me. Can't listen.

They're all better than the world's worst sports talk show host......Jay Mohr.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:25 pm 

I'm reasonably convinced that if someone started a sports network devoted to evenhanded analysis, as opposed to the shock commentary and hyped-up entertainment style used by ESPN, they'd carve out at least a nicely sized niche market among real sports fans who are tired of the clowns on the air now. If I hear Stuart Scott say "BOO-YAH!" one more time, I may have to start this network myself.

In response to Dan Patrick, I'd rather see Freddy "Garcia" Sanchez play in the All-Star game than see Suzy Kolber on the sidelines of an NFL game blathering about something completely irrelevant like a player's "heart" and "courage." Or Mike Patrick discuss how so-and-so is not just a great athlete, he's also a "very special person."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:42 pm 

jaybee24 wrote:
I'm reasonably convinced that if someone started a sports network devoted to evenhanded analysis, as opposed to the shock commentary and hyped-up entertainment style used by ESPN, they'd carve out at least a nicely sized niche market among real sports fans who are tired of the clowns on the air now. If I hear Stuart Scott say "BOO-YAH!" one more time, I may have to start this network myself.

In response to Dan Patrick, I'd rather see Freddy "Garcia" Sanchez play in the All-Star game than see Suzy Kolber on the sidelines of an NFL game blathering about something completely irrelevant like a player's "heart" and "courage." Or Mike Patrick discuss how so-and-so is not just a great athlete, he's also a "very special person."

Fox Sports is actually pretty good in that regard.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:52 pm 

I've been listening to some of the Sporting News Radio...Its pretty straight forward to the point and entertaining...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:00 pm 

If you get a chance, you should check out Baseball's Golden Age and Sport Science on Fox Sports.

Awesome shows.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:01 pm 

Dan Patrick is a syndicated show. It can be on any station i.e. ESPN, Fox Sports affiliate, indepedent. He is associated with SI.com now, but the radio show is not specific to one network.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:01 pm 

The Golden Age show is indeed one of the finest examples of great sports programming on air. The footage is unbelievable.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:26 pm 

Personally, I'm partial to BP radio, but that tends to not be locality specific. It's good for car and train rides though, especially since you can download podcasts of it and listen to it via an MP3 player.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/radio/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:27 pm 

I don't listen to a ton of sports talk radio. They focus too much on football for me. I know America loves football and all that, but could baseball at least have July maybe?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:46 pm 

Willton wrote:
Personally, I'm partial to BP radio, but that tends to not be locality specific. It's good for car and train rides though, especially since you can download podcasts of it and listen to it via an MP3 player.

C'mon . . . you're kidding, right . . . we would have never guessed . . . ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:55 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Willton wrote:

C'mon . . . you're kidding, right . . . we would have never guessed . . . ;)

Am I that transparent? :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:29 pm 

Oops! I should have known that station wasn't ESPN. I'm glad I didn't embarrass myself with an angry e~mail to them.. :oops:

Wilton, you mentioned BP Radio. At first I thought that meant British Petrolium. Boy, that would be exciting radio!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:37 pm 

burghermeister wrote:
Willton wrote:

ESPN Radio is pretty bad. I get less tolerant of Mike & Mike's self indulgence everyday; Cowherd is useless; the guys on "The Drive" have no idea what they're talking about half the time; and Ken Laird always takes the yinzer path of least resistance on every story (especially regarding the Pirates). Savran and Junker is the only thing worth listening too.

But, in fairness to ESPN, the "I'm Dan Patrick and You're Not; I Hang Out with Celebrities and You Don't Show" is on Fox Sports Radio.

I still like Mike & Mike but i can't stand to listen to anything else anymore on ESPN Radio.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:11 am 

Jeremy wrote:
I don't listen to a ton of sports talk radio. They focus too much on football for me. I know America loves football and all that, but could baseball at least have July maybe?

If you want baseball talk listen to WEEI in Boston. It's all baseball almost all year except football weekends. Boston is at heart a baseball town, like Cinci used to be. It's pretty good radio and not like the networks, in fact the ESPN station in Boston doesn't even broadcast at night it's so small. It's like my high school station was.